Welcome to the Jets Olumuyiwa Anthony Fashanu (OT)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

things i like: seems like a good guy, reminds me physically of Brick a little

things i dont: last time we picked the third OT at 11. I'm superstitious that way

2. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

I'm high on Corley but he will be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Definitely, that's why we need to trade up in to the 2nd to either take him or Adonai Mitchell or Roman Wilson, or maybe Ja'Lynn Polk. I'm not a fan of Coleman, McConkey, or Franklin, the other WRs likely to go in the 2nd round.

4. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

He won the Campbell Trophy so he's book-smart and showed good character (community service etc.). Those characteristics bode well for a good professional career.

p.s. the new helmets are... tits? Is that good or bad? I love tits almost more than anything else in the world so I assume you think they are amazing lol. Personally I vastly prefer the Parcells-era helmets and unis, as I have said ad nauseum around here

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and Acad23 like this.
  5. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

I think it might help your perspective on that btw to look up those offenses last year with 1500'ish yard receivers and what the left over passing game opportunity values actually shaped up to look like behind their alpha dog. Miami, Dallas, Detroit, Rams, Philly. It dries up pretty quick once you start getting behind option #2 in every one of those offenses. On teams who all have varying degrees of better and more creative offensive coaching then we'll have in 2024 no less.

On top of that here is some basic surface level math there just based on what we already have. Starting from our agreement belief Garrett Wilson is a 1500 receiver next year. While giving a 41yo Rodgers a very friendly 17 games played and a 580 top-10 average in 2023 of total pass attempts:

- Subtract Garrett's 165 targets in route to a much more efficient St Brown'ike 1500 yard season and that puts us at 415 left over total pass attempts.
    - I'd like and believe it's fairly safe to assume a full healthy Breece Hall and the arguable best dual threat RB in the NFL outside CMC sees an uptick in opportunity and production. But for argument's sake let's just go with that not being the case and pencil in a straight replication of his 2023 useage. Subtracting those 95 targets takes us down to 320.
    - I'd like to believe the same on a smaller scale with Conklin, but again for arguments sake let's just go with that not happening. Subtracting those 87 targets from last year takes us down 233 left over pass attempts.

That brings us to Mike Williams, and which to note many of the "2024 weapons!" crowd were higher on then i was. Let's again for this argument's sake let's lean more into their only missing a few games projections and split his 21/22 targets output roughly in half. Pencil him in for a 100.

That takes us down to 133 left over pass attempts beyond those 4 guys to go around for the rest of the team. Or basically assuming Rodgers maintains his 65% career completion % comes out to roughly 86 remaining catches over the season. Again, that would be shared out among EVERYBODY Including else. Including any one incoming rookie that probably at best is most likely to get maybe half of them.

#145 Kronoking, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I know literally nothing about Olu... but he handled the questions well.
    Said all the right things... if that means anything.

As far as the new helmets & unis... anything is better than the previous ones.
    I happen to like the new look... probably because it reminds me of when I was a youngster running wild around NYC.

NCJetsfan and sozopol like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s just so crazy they had a top 10 pick and got lineman depth, not even a starter, out of it

REVISion likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets like to find their elite players in Free Agency, for way more than they are worth, at the end of their careers. Maybe we'll get Brock Bowers in 2037 when he can barely run.

BrowningNagle and REVISion like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

10. sozopol

He's sure to start games this year. And we'll be desperately happy that we have him protecting the QB rather than Max Mitchell or whoever (assuming he's as good as his college stats, talent, and work ethic show him to be).

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I literally said I was fine with the pick. I have no idea what you’re even replying about trying to convince me it was a better pick than going WR.

12. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Wow. That is weird.

13. abyzmul

Well sure but so is Carter Warren and Max Miller and some dude that we will sign to the practice squad in week 6. You draft immediate depth in the top 10... that's just not forgivable to me.

REVISion likes this.
  14. abyzmul

Sometimes I think it's just a block of code, and if we just had the right cipher key, we could view the really intuitive message hidden within.

All Gas No Shake and dawinner127 like this.
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

At least his dad isn't Yugely overweight. That always bothered me when Becton was picked.

sozopol likes this.
  16. sozopol

Would you have preferred to trade up (giving up even more precious picks) to get Odunze if it had been possible (supposedly we were interested but the cost was too high)? Or drafted Bowers instead of Olu?

17. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

RIGHT MOVE INDEED..

dmw likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The problem is he has to start like 8-10 games to be worth the pick (at least for next season).

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is the exact same process (from the opposite position, but probably on about the same timescale) as I would’ve gone through if Bowers had been the pick.

ColoradoContrails and NOVAJET like this.