2024 NFL Draft - Day 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Apr 26, 2024.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Right, but I'm sure if anything about the Moore we know now was known then, it would have been at least mentioned.

Mims is another story. Dude fell solely because of everything other than his talent. I don't hate taking the chance on the talent, that's all I'm saying. And yes it failed miserably.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

he did pretend to be a urinating dog in college

REVISion likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I looked at Mims' games from his senior season and saw the same awkward cuts and lack of effort I saw for a lot of him time with the Jets, and I'm just some dude. I think the scouting under Joe Douglas has been pretty unimpressive. 2022 was 2022 but he did end up trading up twice and the board fell perfectly for a couple of no-brainers in Sauce and Wilson. Aside from those 4 picks and maybe AVT, it seems like a different person pulling the trigger.

4. BroadwayAaron

We can go around in circles but the bottom line here is "Jets historically don't draft good WRs in the second round" is not a good reason to not take a WR in the second round when there's this much talent left on the board.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So you scout well and draft the right guy. There is no circular discussion here, there is just you absolving Joe Douglas for doing a crappy job.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Elijah Moores character concerns did not come out of left field. That’s the reason he lasted until the second round, other teams knew he was a clown

if you remember he’s the guy who dog pissed on the football costing his team the most important game

he also reneged on Georgia in poor form

abyzmul and REVISion like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

Brother, if you think I sit around absolving Joe Douglas of blame for doing a crappy job then you have me confused with someone else. I think he’s been way closer to bad than good. I don’t hate taking chances on guys with top tier talent. That’s what I’m saying. There’s inherent risk of course but welcome to the second round.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The dude literally cost his team a game by getting flagged for a pissing dog touchdown celebration.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sure we can - it's a dumb way of drafting. These guys aren't children, they are adults. It's foolish to think they'll fix the bad habits they had in college once you give them millions of dollars.

We saw it with Becton too. Guy clearly had a weight and/or weed problem in college and JD ignored it. Lo and behold Becton turned out to be overweight and generally lazy.

Even JD knows he made mistakes here, hence the endless "we're looking for A+ players AND A+ people" narrative he kept pushing after his first draft.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Or maybe package a fourth and the fifth to move up into third round - a lot of talent will still be left that gives the Jets 2 thirds and a fourth ..

It’s gonna be an interesting night ..

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

my hunch is that Woody loves the guy and isn't firing him anytime soon.

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Fleeced? The Jets gave almost nothing up, what the heck were you looking to give?

BradysTornACL likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Almost nothing besides 4 draft picks but yeah

14. BrowningNagle

woody isn’t the best judge of effectiveness

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

When you look at the details of the trade the Jets basically only gave up the 2024 second round pick. They swapped first rounders which moved the Jets only 2 picks down and I think they swapped a couple of sixth rounders? Yeah it sucks they’re dealing with the lack of a second round pick now but they weren’t going to get him for much less especially with the draft looming ….

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

After leaving round two with our offensive line depth and not adding any weapons do we stay pat at pick 72 or move up for one of the remaining receivers.

Garrett Wilson is solid, Mike Williams is coming back from an injury, Corey Davis may ir may not come back from retirement, and our other receivers are useless.

It might take less draft capital to trade for a veteran but getting rid of the deadweight including Wilson and Tomlinson put a ton of dead weight on our cap this year.

If we want to win now with Rodgers going hard to get the best WR on the board might be the right call.

This team going deep into the playoffs would decrease the value of our future picks anyway.

No one seems to have us coning out on top of the AFC East.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that's a necessity. I'm normally against trading up, but I think the Jets need to add the best WR prospect they can, and the WRs who will be avalable in the 3rd round, while decent prospects, are not likely to help much, if at all this year, and there are still several WRs who will go in the 2nd round who are dynamic weapons. I want one of Malachi Corley or Roman Wilson, preferably Corley.

18. NCJetsfan

I forgot about Mitchell. I think I'd still prefer Malachi Corley, but would be quite happy with Mitchell!

19. NCJetsfan

That's a good point, and normally, I'm against trading up, but I think this situation is different. The Jets need a WR who can contribute this season and going forward. There are some dynamic WRs available in the 2nd round that are head and shoulders better than the WRs who would even be available in the 3rd round, much less the 4th round. The Jets have a 3rd, 3-4ths, a 5th, a 6th, and a 7th round pick left. There's no way they have room on the roster for that many rookies in an "all in" year. IMO it would be wiser to package several of the picks and move up into the 2nd round and get a WR like Malachi Corley or Adonai Mitchell or even Roman Wilson.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

On this we agree!!!! If JD were to trade up for a Safety in the 2nd round, he should be fired on the spot and not allowed to finish the draft. I'd hope that Saleh and the others in the room would beat the shit out of JD and throw him out of the draft room.

NYJetsO12 and BroadwayAaron like this.