How'd Joe Douglas pry a 5th AND a 4th to move down ONE spot?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Moving down just one spot with a team that's not taking 'your guy' is a no brainer...but how did Joe Douglas pry a 5th AND a 4th round pick (this draft!) for simply swapping picks, moving down just one spot?

To me, Joe convinced the Vikes he was talking to 'other teams' interested in JJ McCarthy. Once the Bears were on the clock at 9 (and not trading out), all attention was now on the Jets at 10.

JJ McCarthy was the 5th QB taken, but Vikings desperately needed at QB after losing Cousins. The Jets were the last threat to that plan. Would JD allow some other team to jump the Vikes and steal JJ?

Knowing how bad the Vikings wanted JJ, did Joe Douglas get 'enough'? Do you think Joe was actually talking to other teams?

2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

All that makes a lot of sense to me. Either that or one of those Harry Potter Confoundiamus spell thingies

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Another team (Broncos or Raiders) wanted to leapfrog the Vikings, so the Jets were able to get a little bidding war going and grab some free money for trading down.

4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Exactly. It had nothing to do with the Jets being interested in a QB. The Vikes were simply protecting themselves.

Skicats, mrjet80 and Jets79 like this.
  5. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I was thinking that the Raiders would jump up offering a 2nd round to move up and grab JJ, but heard that they weren't going to spend much to grab a QB. I think they really wanted Daniels. I think JD did an awesome job getting extra picks. It will help to move into possibly the 2nd round.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

That's an outstanding move from JD. He may be able to trade back into the second round now.

Gotta confess that I don't have enough knowledge to speculate which WR he takes next, but I trust the process.

Got his man and created value in the process. Grade A thus far.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well we also gave up a 6th so it was somewhat of a trade up from the 6th.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just have to hope JJ McCarthy ain’t good or it will be legendary for its stupidity

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's no way it was anything but a bidding war. It's the only thing that makes the trade make sense for the Vikings.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean value chart wise it’s basically even so Douglas didn’t do anything magical by any means. Good job getting picks and still getting your guy, but your guy was the wrong guy.

11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Right. Everyone is kind of overlooking that. It's really a 4th, and an upgraded choice later on. There's been talk about how his two added picks provide ammo to package and trade up in round two. I don't see it.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Denver also wanted a QB.

We could have traded down further and the Vikings knew it.

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  13. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Should have traded with ATL to jump the bears and drafted Rome. Stupid move.

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Ya think Buffalo regrets allowing KC to trade up with them to draft Mahomes?

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This! I know, right? Maybe we just passed on the next Mahomes but we were too busy patting ourselves on the back to even realize!

Time will tell....

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Jets should have taken the QB like the poster here (I forget your name forgive me I don't want to do a search) was saying the months leading up to the draft.

Only because they drafted a 'developmental' player who may not contribute much in 2024 anyway.

Should have taken the QB.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes

NOVAJET likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense. There wasn’t a chance in hell we would have taken a QB at 10 with our current situation.That would have been legendary stupidity, as Atlanta did last night. We got the same player at 11 we would have gotten at ten and net tied one extra pick annd one better pick.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What part of the win now mode didn’t you get? QB was not even an after thought. Further, Ole is not a developmental player, can we stop beating that drum. He was the second rated LT in the game by the end of the season. Until all the Alabama analysis BS came up on Latham who was a holding machine in college instead of using strength and technique. I love it how now we compare any QB we passed on as the next Mahomes, a one in a life time case.

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

THANK YOU! Olu is not developmental, Jesus where are people getting this from lol. He's a polished pass protector, a little raw in the run game but a day one starter on most teams.