My Final Draft Guess-Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WoodyHarrelson, Apr 24, 2024.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

My theory is not always on BPA, I just need to ask why would we pick Carter Warren (IF HE IS A RT) to go ahead and draft Fugaua from Oregon State the next year? Also, why would we sign Morgan Moses then? Same thing could apply with TE, why did we spend a 3rd round pick on Ruckert, sign Conklin, etc. to go ahead and draft Bowers. I know Fagua and Bowers are WAY better than our current options but for a RT and a TE, it just doesn't make sense to me. We have enough solid pieces for those positions to be set imo. Ruckert, Warren, Moses, etc. have all played well. Also, Fagua doesn't play LT. What if Smith goes down? Fagua better be ready to play there if needed as a premium pick.

If we are drafting someone at #10, it has to be for either a PREMIUM position (QB or LT) if they aren't playing in year 1.

With that being said, this is what I think Joe Douglas will do. The hot name is Brock Bowers but I think the Jets are making that a smoke screen. Obviously they had him at the facility with Rogers when he was there. Maybe by coincidence? Maybe not? I could be overanalyzing it but many teams always play these games. I think our two options are still:
    1. LT1
    2. WR OR TE

1. OL: Olu Fashanu-LT PSU (alt if he falls)

#1 WoodyHarrelson, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    KingRoach likes this.
  2. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

My final take is that I still want Joe Alt as Left Tackle for The New York Jets.

He will not drop to #10 as all signs are that Tennessee take him at #7. At the start of this week I posted "I would trade up for Alt if he is still there at #6. I do not think he gets past Tennessee at #7" which means trading with NYG at #6 which will cost this year's third, or arguably a second next year. There's an article in The New York Post linked to this site today advocating that trade scenario. So it looks like I'm just regurgitating them. Which I am not, it was an original thought and that is what I would do.

What I think happens is that JD stays at #10 and selects Fashanu.

3. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Speaking of Woody, has Woody Johnson announced on Twitter what outfit combination our draft room execs will be wearing?

sozopol likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Had to change the title to avoid a confusion as to if these were Woody Johnson's guess.

I hope it is OK @WoodyHarrelson

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here is what I predict will happen. There will be a bigger run on OL after pick 5 than WRs. after the top WR goes the rest will drop and Bowers will be selected before the second WR. Anyone with a decent chance to play T at the next level will be gone before Odunze( 3 may be even 4). My cheap Chrystal ball tells me so

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Brock Bowers is still there at 10, it's because the top tackles are not there at 10.

So the question becomes: What to do if the Ts are all gone, but Brock is still there? Take Bowers, or trade down and draft a T later in the 1st, and a good WR in the 2nd?

If Joe's feeling the heat, he'll take Bowers and 'win now'. If he's still a GM with an eye to the future, he'll trade down.

amuck57 and Lon Chaney like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My guess? If Douglas can trade up to get Alt he'll do it. If he can't he'll try to line up a trade back a few spots looking to snag a good OT or WR, or maybe even Bowers. If he can't trade back, and Fashanu is there he'll take him, if not, he'll take Bowers if he's still there.

Or he'll draft a DT.

Footballgod214, Brook! and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

If we can somehow land Alt I will be ecstatic

10. abyzmul

Me too

JetFanInNE likes this.
  11. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

The correct answer here is TRADE DOWN. But I know that is easier said than done.

The draft is a crap shoot so the more rolls of the dice, the better chance you have. It's that simple.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. Trade down.

But the rub is Joe Douglas treasures his draft picks even more than his own players, and we've seen how hard it is for Joe to trade his players...he always wants top top dollar.

This leads me to think Joe's gonna want tippy top top dollar to trade out of 10. Not that he won't trade down, just that if he ain't offered enough for 10, he won't trade down. He can be stubborn.

Plus Joe usually only has around 12-15 players with 1st round grades. Would he trade below this?

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Interesting that JC Latham is now betting favorite at #5

My guess:

1. Williams
    2. Daniels
    3. Maye to Giants
    4. MHJr
    5. McCarthy to Vikings
    6. Nabers to NE
    7. Alt
    8. Turner
    9. Rome
    10. Bowers
    11. Latham to SD

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

We need QUALITY OL depth badly, and then WR.
    Unfortunately, I think Douglas will take TE Bowers. He just doesn't understand depth at all. We HAVE decent TEs now and almost no depth on the OL. Just look at that idiotic pick last year of McDonald when we were stocked at edge.
    I hope Bowers is not a healthy scratch on game day like McDonald was early in the season last year. Dumb shit!
    I just watched Phil Savage on video crowing that he works 11 months a year getting ready to advise Douglas on draft day. And we have drafted in round 1 Becton, Zach and McDonald in 3 of the 4 years.
    Maybe you should change your approach, Phil. :D

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I’m still holding out hope for an Alt trade up,, which will no doubt be squashed in just a few short hours ;)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't know

17. abyzmul

It's getting hard for me to shake the feeling it's Bowers.

18. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm very surprised that JC Latham is betting favorite at 5 as he's a Right Tackle - no way do I see anyone picking him before Alt.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The Jets were strongly linked to Bowers before the "move up for Odunze" rumor came out. If you realllly wanted Bowers, wouldn't it make sense to feign interest in trading up for Odunze to throw people off the scent?

This might be giving the Jets too much credit though.

abyzmul likes this.
  20. abyzmul

Yeah, I'm trying not to give them that much credit.

REVISion likes this.