An ominous reality, is it really all or nothing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJets, Apr 23, 2024.

?

How to proceed if Jets make the playoffs but fails to advance Wild Card week.

1. Fire both Saleh and Joe D

48.6%
  2. Fire Saleh only

25.7%
  3. Fire Joe D only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Keep both

25.7%
  1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You hear all the talk about Douglas and Saleh being on their last lifeline this season, but what is the actual measure to their future with the team. At the end of this season they both become lame ducks. Obviously if we win the SB then they’re gonna be extended, obviously if we miss the playoffs they’ll be fired.

What about the in between? It makes me realize that just simply making the playoffs is likely going to mean extensions for both Douglas and Saleh, and they’ll be the ones picking our QB of the future again. It will be the first time we’ve made the playoffs in 15 years. There’s no way Woody is going to suffer the optics of firing the regime that finally took us back to the playoffs. Every single media source will roast him. Not only that, Rodgers will probably say he wants to come back so Woody’s hands would be tied there as well. It’s actually quite terrifying because reality is if we simply make the playoffs, JD and Saleh are gonna be here 3+ more years.

Tamba_Trio and Brook! like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Very good thread. Just added a poll. :)

In my opinion anything short of Divisional round, let them both go.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How about we just skip the Wild Card Round...

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

So many layers to this. If they pull a Dolphins from last year and piss away the division in the last month of the season, get in by wild card and completely shit the bed then yes, absolutely fire them.
    If they look great, win the division by 2 games and get a tough draw first round, have a couple guys go out with injury in the last week of the season and lose by a bad call from the ref or unfortunate turnover or 2 then it'll be a tougher call.
    Same goes if they pull a Dolphins but squeak by in the WC round to a bad team then get blown out in the divisional round then fire their asses then as well. I'm going to vote fire both anyway just so I can continue to try and downplay my extreme homerism.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Make them pay us instead of we giving them a paycheck

Tons of talent on the roster

Put up or shut up

6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I don't think playoffs should even be a thought right now. Let's try to have a winning season.

7. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I thought they both should have been fired after last debacle (season). These guys have been all mouth and no results for 3 full seasons now. Based upon this, I have zero faith in this GM and CS to take us to a SB and possibly even win one. So IMHO what will happen in January is inevitable. But what do I know.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Forget the playoffs. Once the season starts, I just hope they can give us a winning season which leads to the playoffs. With this team every Jets fan should know better than to ASSUME they will be good. Let them prove it on the damn field first. We thought they would be good last year based on a good offseason and look how that turned out.

SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  9. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I'd kinda like to know the schedule order and when the bye-week is first. I'm fully prepared to say something like - "If we're not at least 6-2 (e.g.) by the bye-week (depending on who we're playing and who's up next), then . . . "

Probably way more impulsive than most here. But I have a mid-season HC replacement all lined up. Jurgen Klopp will be available pretty soon. Maybe we do mid-season experiment with a reverse Ted Lasso thing.

egbert souse likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This is the Jets. I'm not sure you're on the money saying they'll get fired for missing the playoffs. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the idiocy of them being here today. Well, maybe it does.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's too early for me to say. A lot depends upon this draft, and any moves he makes after the draft. If he has a great draft, then I'll lean towards giving JD another chance with a new HC, but if he screws the draft, then I'll want him gone along with Saleh. Because I'm skeptical, and there wasn't another option that fit right now, I voted to get rid of both of them.

Because of this issue, I am torn between wanting it to be a great season with the Jets making the playoffs, and having them be horrible so that there's no doubt and both will be fired. The only problem is that Woody will be making the next hires, so it could get even worse. If JD and Saleh are fired (along with the rest of the CS) would G. Wilson, Breece, JJ and Sauce want to stay?

Also, I'm of the opinion that with all the FAs the Jets will have next season and players that need to be extended, things are going to be very tight capwise, and we will lose quite a few players, and unless JD has a great draft this year and next, the team will likely take a step back next season, perhaps even a big step backwards. So Woody might opt to keep them following this season (I don't know when their contracts are up), but then possibly fired them if they have a bad season next year.

#11 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    westiedog1 likes this.
  12. Ralebird

If JD and Saleh are not fired (along with the rest of the CS) would G. Wilson, Breece, JJ and Sauce want to stay?

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If everything goes south, I know that Saleh is gone. But JD has learned to put on his Invisibility cloak when things go south and the press starts asking uncomfortable questions. He could turn that into scapegoating Saleh.

14. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

This is like a sales target argument. "If you don't hit 90% of your target number I am firing you in March" without understanding how the year plays out, what the influences on the outcome were or whether the job holder could have done much about it.

If you believe you've hired the right staff, and you trust in your process, you give them every chance to get it right. I believe in Salah as a coach and JD is a good hire from decent stock who has made some very good moves both in free agency and the draft. Neither are perfect.

As the NFL is a theoretical level playing field, you might argue that any coaching staff not winning the competition has failed. I would not subscribe to that. There is always nuance.

We need to see results of course. The best sports teams anywhere have the least disruption in their key coaching and leadership positions. I'd like us to keep the faith and evaluate them when the season ends, rather than set soft targets before it starts. It is not all or nothing.

Brook! likes this.
  15. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Maybe if we don't fire everyone every couple a years, and establish some stability, well, who knows?

16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

They should both be fired now, so there's absolutely zero reason to keep them if we don't make some serious noise in the postseason. You don't bring in a future Hall of Fame QB to lose in the first round of a playoff that almost half of the teams in the conference qualify for.

REVISion likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Constant turnover has definitely been a problem with the Jets in their history, but the problem is stability isn't going to come when there isn't quality/competence with both the GM and HC. Do you honestly think that the Jets would have ever gotten stability with Herm? Kotite? Gase? Mangini? Bowles? Rex? Both Bowles and Rex had 6 years and either got worse instead of better (Rex) or never improved (Bowles). How long do you think they should have had? Bradway? Tannny? Idzik? Mac? Parcells quit on the Jets. If Belicheat had stayed when Parcells left, we would have had a chance at stability. It's possible that we could get it with JD, but I don't think so with Saleh. IMO he's just a cliché machine. He doesn't have the connections or clout to get top assistants.

IMO if the Jets want stability, they need to join the 21st Century and hire someone who wants a dynamic offense which probably means hiring a former successful OC who can hire a quality OC.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's a borderline situation. But whatever the Jets do, it has to be firing both or neither.

REVISion likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

What you said makes good sense if we had a competent owner, but we don't. He doesn't have a clue whether JD is the right man for the GM job or if JD hired the right man in Saleh. Just because he likes them as persons, doesn't mean that they should be kept on board. At this point, I don't have a lot of trust or faith in JD,but I have a lot more in him than I do Saleh. Saleh has shown no growth or improvement in the job at all. IMO he's too conservative and too rigid. Even though JD has made some really dumb decisions and moves that have hurt the team, he has also made a lot of good moves and decisions, and has built a strong roster for the most part. Aside from his hiring of the defensive staff, I don't see anything good that Saleh has done, and as good as his defensive staff has been, his offensive staff has been equally bad, and that's not including Hackett, whom I blame on Woody or JD.

#19 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  20. Ralebird

Are you suggesting the foundation of success may be based on stable sub-mediocrity?

onefanjet likes this.