With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

We've actually been speculating the trade up possibility to great debate the last week or on a sports discord platform I'm on, and the one thing fwtw we came to a universal conclusion on with the trade up possibility scenario is that such would 100% boil down to what Harbaugh ends up wanting to do at #5. That is the where the trade up opportunity likely ends up being, and which in itself is dead on the spot if/when they simply decide to take Alt themselves. As the Giants aren't going to walk into the negativity storm they'd find themselves in post letting Saquon walk by trading out of the flashier pick spot (to give US the shine of all teams), and as Fash wouldn't be making it past Tennessee.

It also drifts into a potentially messy situation on what the cost of a move up to #5 actually ends up being. For a team with the arguable worst track record in professional sports when it comes to making desperation fueled decisions. On a guy who also isn't going to be a projected week 1 starter.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am right there with you - as far as the 4 options. So, in the above scenario, if trading is not realistically possible for a decent price, you are taking Odunze?

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The key distinction is what I bolded. The OT taken in Round must be able to play this year, and be able to be groomed into taking over next year. If a tackle like that isn't available in Round 1, then yes, a stud WR would be my choice.

boozer32 and NOVAJET like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, trading up isn't what I'd prefer to do, but from what I know - which of course is far less than JD or any pro football personnel person knows - Fashanu and Alt are both "can't miss" long term answers at LT. Maybe not in the sense of being able to play all snaps this year, but certainly being able to hold their own for a few games (hopefully) if Smith goes down, and to me that makes trading up conceivable, again depending on the cost. At some point the cost becomes prohibitive and you have to give up on that idea. But if they could reasonably trade up - say for their 3rd this year and a 2nd next year - I think it's conceivable.

And here's another argument for trading up: Douglas has the best chance of hitting the higher the pick he has. Of coure that doesn't guarantee he will hit (see Wilson; Z), but look what happened when he was drafting in a similar range before: He was left to choose between Becton and another OL that wasn't considered a strong tackle prospect; and last year he was left without having a chance at a decent OL. So moving up to secure a shot at a stud T is a gamble I think is worth it.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Agreed. Trading up for Alt is my new replacement "not gonna yell at the TV if it happens" stance for just those reasons.

BUT....I also think the probability chance the cost for that ends up being our 1st this AND next year isn't as unlikely out of *THIS* FO as many would like to think. Especially when, and contrary to 95% of speculation mostly focusing in on draft QBs this time of year, we ain't the only team out there with a potential need or desire to grab a better bet OT. Or having these same conversations.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

Well I wouldn't give up next year's first. If that's the price, I'll pass. I think there are very high odds that things fall apart - AGAIN! - this year for a variety of high probability things happening, and they may well be starting another rebuild and will need all the draft capital they can amass. Even if there isn't a rebuild, if they fall short of the playoffs because Rodgers gets hurt again, they'll have to consider drafting a QB (even though I think they shouldn't given their inability to identify and develop one - they're better off trying to sign a good FA instead). S giving up next year's 1st is a deal breaker for me.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't believe we've seen enough of Carter Warren to really have a solid judgement on him, to be fair. I would be okay with running with Carter Warren for a couple games, relying on him for a whole season Is another conversation.

As far as drafting a LT specifically and where to do It. I don't disagree with the probabilities and importance of the LT position, so taking one In the 1st round Is the smarter choice. That wasn't my statement.

However, we are In a unique position where we should have a very good LT for the majority of the season (fingers crossed). We don't have to draft a LT this year because of this, but we need more playmakers. The way I see the WR room, we have two really good WR. Beyond that though, we don't have anything more than a bunch of JAGS holding down positions that absolutely could be upgraded. I understand we will NEED one, but I'm not sure drafting a rookie LT that high would have more of a significant impact for this team In 2024 than a true playmaker at #10.

I'm not really blown away by the OT In this class either, so I'm a little biased right now. I literally would only take Alt, Fashanu, or JC Latham at #10. Even then, I'd only feel really good about getting Alt.

I guess we shall see but I'm on team playmaker for this draft as of now.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, of course we have not seen enough to project his contributions to 2024 for sure, Warren, though 25, is a rookie, but we have seen enough to conclude he would need a major major leap to be a solid contributor this year, which we absolutely cannot count on. LINK.

Btw, Blewitt seems pretty decent evaluator of OL. He watches every play via all 22 to have full picture. I remember he said Neal was shit and he would not look at him until maybe the 3d round. I thought the guy was crazy, but this earned him some respect.

9. IIMeanDeanII

Right now... This Is my top 5.

1. Marvin Harrison Jr
    2. Rome Odunze
    3. Malik Nabers
    4. Adonai Mitchell
    5. Keon Coleman

10. IIMeanDeanII

That was cool breakdown, thanks for linking that.

I agree though, not arguing that If Warren Is the guy at LT all year. We are fucked. I don't mind him In a pinch though. Again, we just got a very good LT In free agency for a reason. If we can't count on him for the majority of the season, the plan failed anyway. I'm not against drafting a LT In the 1st. I just think I would rather go with a playmaker. That's all.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I would have been in favor of a trade up for Alt prior to signing Tyron Smith. I just don't see them making that move now.

So, what are they most likely to do?
    If they stay at 10, then the pick is most likely a playmaker, Odunze or Bowers if one of them is still sitting there.

They'll sign Bakhtiari after the draft and look to Carter Warren as the LT of the future. It's been reported a number of times that the Jets are still very high on Warren. He had a few good games last year, and a couple of stinkers towards the end of the season. He was much better at LT than RT, and coming off a torn meniscus his Senior year. No OTAs, no camp. He wasn't even activated until October.

A trade down to recoup the lost 2nd round pick is certainly in play if there's a willing trade partner by the time 10 rolls around but that's certainly not guaranteed.

If they do trade down I'm thinking Amarius Mims (Georgia). He's a ridiculous athlete who started six games at RT but also split practice reps 60/40 between right and left tackle.

If he makes it into round 2, Xavier Legette would be the perfect addition to the WR room. He's moving up the board so quickly there's a good chance he's goes in round 1.

I'm in the SE and see tons of Bulldogs and Gamecocks football. The four guys I like most from those schools are:
    Bowers - a top 5 player in the draft. Took more snaps in the slot and split wide than at TE. Too fast to be covered by LB's, to big to be covered by DBs.
    Legette - good size, great speed, and physical. Had a great senior season but under performed prior to that. Hopefully his breakout season means he's on the rise, and not just a flash in the pan.
    Rattler - perfect guy to sit behind Rogers for a couple seasons and learn the pro game. Oklahoma issues aside, his leadership ability has grown significantly. Had a very good season with Dowell Loggains as his OC ('nuff said)
    Mims - like I mentioned above he's an amazing athlete but definitely needs time to develop. His ceiling is incredibly high and he'd be a long term solution at one of the tackle spots.

*Edited to make it easier to read

#751 Trainer, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    ouchy, mattyd99 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO JDs MO will go along these lines. His team has racked and stacked and rated a certain amount of players worthy of the first round pick, probably broken down by top ten, 11-21 and third bracket. I’m sure many would disagree with his ranking but those are the facts. JD knows well the massive need to harvest young talent in areas like OL first and then WR for starters. Given all that, if the draft starts heavy on QBs and WRs like we hope, and one of the OL he has in the bracket falls to us, he will strike and select an OT. But if the top OTs on his board are gone early, he is not going to over reach ( by his board) and get one because of need. He might try to trade down a few spots first, or go elsewhere. The key discriminator is how many OT have they actually penciled as worthy of an early/mid first round picks and hopefully ready enough to play LT or RT if needed during this season. Best world for us is a heavy run on QBs at the top, with some WRs, if not strike a trade down.

#752 LAJet, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think trading up for Alt or Fashanu would be prohibitive, so unless we get lucky, we can kiss both of them goodbye. Either the Chargers or the Giants will take Alt, and Tennessee will take Fashanu. Fuaga isn't going to do us any good for LT, and if the Jets try to trade down more than 2-3 spots, it's very likely that they will miss out on Fautanu, Latham, and maybe Mims, and maybe all 3. For certain we could lose out on those 2nd tier OTs. If we then took a WR at that spot, we're still not going to have a backup for Smith, and still will be at in the same position next year scrambling, hoping to be able to sign some older LT, and with the Jets' luck, next year will be a sorry draft for LTs, and at best there'll be one or two and they'll be taken before we pick because we will have won just enough games this season to prevent our being in position to take one next year. That would leave us scrambling for who knows how long looking for an LT. IMO that would be unwise. If we trade down to 13 and all 5 of those OTs are gone, and we didn't get a 2nd round pick for trading down, then I would totally be in favor of trying to trade down again 5 spots or so, but if the Jets couldn't find a trade down partner, then I would be in favor of their reaching for either Guyton or Amegadjie. They desperately need to find that LT of the future. This team is not going anywhere in the future until they do. Both Guyton and Amegadjie have the talent and potential to be at least solid LTs. With Carter, Smith and Moses helping that OT, he could develop more quickly and be ready to start next year. Another WR is not going to do squat if the Jets don't have an LT that keep their QB upright and healthy. If the season has to go down the tubes because JD didn't sign a backup LT or couldn't draft one of the top ones, then so be it, but I think it would be a colossal mistake to sacrifice the future to take another WR. There are literally numerous good WRs in about every draft. That isn't true of LTs.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Fair enough. With regards to Smith, he is just as likely to only play 5-6 games or fewer as he is to play the majority of the season. Heck even one game with Warren at LT could get Rodgers injured, but then so could Smith or Simpson.

We just have to hope that Smith can and will give us the majority of the season and that if Warren has to play, that he will up to the task. That would certainly make things a lot easier going forward as well.

I just had a thought. I think that Moses has always played RT. I wonder if JD did draft Fuaga or Latham, and Smith went down fairly early in the season, if Moses would be willing to switch to the left side and have Fuaga/Latham play RT. That might be a better solution, than reaching for a rookie who can play LT. Of course that wouldn't give the Jets the WR you want, but it could prevent the season from going down the drain.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I just had a thought.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It happens...

17. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

You run to the podium and take Odunze. I think he's getting a little underrated due to the top tier WR talent this year and that he played for Wash.

Also, not directed at you but I saw a few posts debating McCarthy. He is 100% going in the top 10. It didn't come across much this year but he's legit and all the scouts feel that way too. I've even seen some people, who I trust, have him as #1. Even without that, we all know the premium put on QBs early. He's gonna be a NYG, Viking, or Bronco

18. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I can’t see the giants taking a tackle. They have Andrew Thomas, want to give Neal another year, and signed Elumenor in free agency. They have huge holes in other areas (wr, qb, db). One of Alt or Fashanu should be there for the jets, but most are down on Fashanu anyway. I would trade down. If they stick and pick, I’m taking Fautanu for LT.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Trade down and collect more picks. Bowers is intriguing for sure and so is Alt but I doubt either will be there at 10.

So trade down, as we stupidly squandered a 2nd round pick on Rodgers, maybe a trade down can help get it back

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

"Stupidly squandered a 2nd round pick on Rodgers"
    You know for all the negativity on this board its comments like these that crack me up. Heaven forbid we actually win a superbowl there won't be enough crow to go around. We are in the best position we have been in my lifetime that I can recall (on paper as well as vegas odds) to win a championship and all we can do is bitch lol.

UK_Chilts, Pepsiguy5 and LAJet like this.