With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I saw a Kiper segment a couple of days ago and he mentioned arm length 6 times in 2 minutes.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree with any of it in particular, but to say he wasn’t dominating might be a stretch. The Huskies won the Joe Moore award for the best offensive line in the nation. They only gave up 11 total sacks and 46 tackles for a loss. He won a bunch of PAC-12 awards and was a third team All American.

They were also damn good last year when he started every game.

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I think the move is to trade back or Bowers. I will say this, at 10, the move IS NOT OL....Why draft Fashanu at 10 if he is just going to sit? Any OL at 10 is sitting. We have the luxury of trading back this year due to the misery of last year.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets still need an offensive tackle. The two tackles they signed are highly vulnerable to injuries AND are on 1 year contracts. They need to lock in a long-term tackle while they have the chance.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think OT is for SURE a need into next year but also a likely need THIS year … otherwise, you are relying on two older tackles, one of whom hasn’t played a full season in years, to stay healthy all year, or else you’re looking at one of Mitchell, Warren, or a lower drafted rookie to step in and fill those shoes for a few games. That’s not a great place to be.

I think OT at 10 makes a lot of sense for both this year and the future. I would, though, also be good with a trade back and taking a tackle later in the first round.

I’m not really high on Bowers because I don’t think TE is the biggest need for us and while I get he’s dynamic and all, he’d have to be Travis freaking Kelce to be worth it, and I’d rather fill a bigger need at OT or WR

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What do you think about him when compared to the other big 4? Still for an older guy without perfect size under 6-4 (6-3.75) I just think Alt, Fashanu, Latham (3 years younger), and Fuaga seem like superior prospects.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Fautanu was the top-rated OL in college football this past year. I didn't see it in the playoffs or in looking at his stats. I agree that he isn't on the same level as Alt, Fashanu or even Fuaga. I may eventually move Latham up that level, but not yet. I think that Guyton and Mims probably have higher ceilings than Fautanu, but the thing that Fautanu offers, is that he is solid and good. If/When T. Smith goes down with an injury this season, unless we had Alt or Fashanu, imo Fautanu would be the only one capable of stepping in and playing solidly. I don't see Latham as an LT at all. Again, I may eventually, but I don't yet, and to my knowledge, he has never played LT. The price the Jets would pay for trading down in order to get a better WR would be the downgrade from Fashanu or Fuaga or maybe Latham to get Fautanu. The thing to remember, however, is that with the exception of last Moses doesn't miss games. He's still playing at a high enough level that the Jets could conceivably extend him if he plays well again this season, so Fuaga and likely Latham would be wasted picks. The Jets need an LT, so unless Fashanu falls to #10, imo the pick has to be Fautanu. Taking him at #10 would be a reach. Hopefully, the Jets would be able to trade down 3-4 spots and then take Fautanu, but by the draft, they may not be able to trade down, as they would miss him. That would be VERY risky. Reaching is never good, but JD has put them in this hole. Unless he signs Charles Leno, Donovan Smith, Bakhtiari, or Becton to back up Smith, he HAS to get Fautanu. Fant signed with Seattle, and Yosh Nijman signed with the Panthers. The only other LT available is Duane Brown, I don't think you want him back. If JD signs one of those 4 to back up T. Smith, he won't have an LT for next year, unless JD drafts Latham and he proves that he can reliably play LT or he drafts one of Mims or Guyton and they develop quicker than expected. Jordan Morgan and Graham Barton both have 32" arms and imo that's too short to play OT in the NFL.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Fautanu was not rated top OL in College by anyone. As @Jonathan_Vilma pointed out, he was named 3d team all American - by AP. That same publication named Latham 2nd team All American, and he is almost 3 years younger. Alt and Fashanu were named consensus 1st team All American. Fuaga was named 1st team All American by some publications and second team by AP along with Latham. The bottom line is, every one of the big 4 had better accomplishments than Fautanu, and they they are several years younger, with Latham and Alt the youngest of them all. Also I am not convinced Fautanu can play LT in NFL. Yes he played it in College, but he seems undersized, below 6-4. Chances are he is a guard in NFL. I just hold older guys to higher standard, because the best development of any player happens at younger age, hence someone like Latham, who already was higher rated than Fautanu in College (see above), and is 3 years younger, has significantly more potential, while probably better than him already.

I am not sure if Latham can play LT, that is a question mark. But he was a LT in HS and was a 5 star recruit. Played some Guard in Alabama too. He claims he can play LT and Guard and any OL position that is needed, prides himself in versatility: https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/jc-latham-alabama-2024-nfl-combine-press-conference (Check starting 5 min mark). Given his physical measurements I don't see limitations. Hence he is #3 on my list after Alt and Olu. For me probably ideal scenario with Alt and Fashanu gone would be to get him on a slight trade-back (maybe something like a trade back and a 4th for a second), and then draft a WR in second round.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Fuaga

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Since the OL is beefed up with Smith signing. I would pump up the receiver group. Draft Keon Coleman Florida State. Just let him and Garrett wreck opposing team secondaries.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I think It's playmaker at 10 or trade back.. The more I watch a lot of these guys, the more I'm leaning towards one of the top 3 WR In this class.

They are all really good, this entire WR class Is fantastic In terms of talent and depth. If we don't get a WR In this draft, It would be criminal. I think we should go with one of the top 3 WR In this class (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) because In any other year, any of these guys would be the first WR taken.

I wouldn't hate OL either, but I think If one of those three are sitting there at 10, we should run that pick up to the podium.

I'm actually leaning more towards Odunze due to scheme fit, but I'd be happy with any of these guys.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What about Brian Thomas vs Odunze? Thomas had to share a load with Nabers and still had monster season, including 17 TDs, even though Daniels had 1100 fewer passing yards than Penix. Thomas in addition to great season was much faster at the same size. You think he is similar level to Odunze or maybe even better?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i like going WR but I’m still thinking OT at 10 is the better overall pick, or trade down for a later OT first round pick, and then go WR with our next pick

I think we are still running a huge injury risk on OL and most likely we won’t get 17 games out of both Smith and Moses, and if we have to rely on Mitchell or Warren for more than a game or two that’s not a good thing. OT helps this year AND in the future.

I guess I can also see a scenario where we sign Bahktiari as the swing guy and hope he only has to play a few games instead of long term, and that would maybe free up the 10 pick to go WR, though

I wouldn’t hate WR at 10, but I think OT at 10 is a better strategic decision

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm open to WR or OT, but I do think OT is wisest for many reasons. I also think it's most likely. JD has touted the importance of building the OL since he's been here and after years of disappointing OL play and the disaster that was his OL last year, I think he's going all in on it. Ultimately I'd be surprised if we went WR in the 1st in large part for that reason alone. Should be some very good OT options at 10 as well as in a trade down so we shouldn't have last year's problem of not many options available.
    That they were reportedly considering Michael Mayer last year tells me TE could also still be in play so I wouldn't rule out Bowers. But when it comes down to it, I believe OT will be the pick. Not sure which one though

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree with you there, but here is what I think will end up happening. If one of the big 3 WRs is there, JD will take him at 10. Short of that he will trade down. Then will eventually end up with a second round pick. These two picks (later 1st and 2nd) will be used for WR/OT, and I have a feeling he will take WR first. Perhaps if we trade down JD will take Thomas. But we will also get a good OT prospect out of this draft. The biggest worry I have right now is Bowers. To me that would be a massive blunder. And I would not put it past JD to do the worst IMO possible thing.

Here is why I think that. On paper we have OT set. He is also very high on Carter Warren (not sure why). Additionally, there are still some serviceable players left in free agency one of whom he will probably get after the draft. So the thinking is that for the first few games we should be OK at OT, which will give some time for the second round pick (or late 1st) OT to develop a bit before he is going to start.

On WR front we need a starter. Gipson is not a starter. Also Mike Williams did not commit he will be ready for camp and he is coming off ACL. So a WR pick will play 100% of the time at the position of need, while still getting a 2nd round OT for use later in the season and future. The key is to get that second round pick, which I think JD will, since we already high 3d we can trade up from, two 4ths, and possibility of more assets in trade down in the 1st.

I personally would not overthink it and just draft OT with the 1st round pick just because how bad consequences could be if we cannot protect Rodgers. But I could see some logic in the above plan. The only one where I cannot see any logic is Bowers. To me this is McD pick last year all over again.

16. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

The day I will see a above average Jets oline again, I will be able to sleep peacefuly. The last time we had such good performance was during Rex time as head coach.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For what’s is worth I heard from a couple of very senior scouts on the radio that the major knock on Latham is his propensity to hold and a bit of an injury history. If not, his strength is amazing and could go higher.

18. NCJetsfan

So with that philosophy, who's going to play LT when T. Smith inevitably goes down with an injury and misses 1/3 to 1/2 of the season?

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Anything that speaks to logic will be ignored by hefty Joe D...so he overthinks it and trades back . Just got that feeling (sigh)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

The problem with Bakhtiari is that he's made of glass. He gets injured in practice, so the odds are that when Smith goes down with an injury (when, not if), Bakhtiari will either already be on IR or will go down in the 1st game he plays. Then who;s gonna play LT?

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.