Welcome to the Jets, Mike Williams!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. So, would you stay put at 10 and grab a top tackle, or trade back and get both? Since we don't need either to man up day 1, I think trading back and getting both tackles makes sense. They'll have time to develop a bit before coming to replace an injured Moses or Smith. It'd be really nice to have both future tackles in house!

2. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Gotta give props to Joe D.

With Tyron Smith, 2 signings that completely can change the outlook of this team if healthy.

We'll see who they view is the BPA draft night-will be exciting.

Pepsiguy5 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's not easy to go all in after the season they just had and most of the league has a better cap situation. At least it's 1 year deals instead of a 5 year retirement fund.

ouchy likes this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

People freaked out because we got WMD when we already had a young, talented and healthy pass-rusher (who we subsequently had to let go). If Huff had been 32 and coming off injury problems, there would have been no freaking out.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Mike Williams is everything Lazard was supposed to be...

Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Well hopefully

Acad23 and JetFanInNE like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I doubt that we'd be able to get two OTs. If we get a 2nd round pick for trading down it's likely to be in the mid-to-upper 50s or early 60s. All of the top OT prospects will be gone by then. That's why I think it's imperative that we grab an OT in the 1st round, whether at #10 or following a trade down. In addition, we do definitely need to get at least one WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. What will be key is how the WRs are rated by NFL teams. The top 4 are Harrison, Jr., Nabers, Odunze and Thomas. I really like Leggett. He could go in the 2nd or 3rd round, but probably the 2nd. Roman Wilson is another WR I like. He's likely to go in the 2nd round. Malachi Corley is a slot WR who has been compared to Deebo Samuel and is a real YAC threat. He will likely go in the 2nd round. I like Devontez Walker. It's hard to say whether he will go in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I think he might be available at #72.

Footballgod214 and Borat like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The only exception I might make is if the jets get massively blown away by a great trade down offer. Then, I would still get best OT (somebody like Mims) if we move down in the first.

RochesterJet and Borat like this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That nitwit Mike McCagnan drafted safeties in round 1 and 2 in 2017. That was the draft wherein he took FOUR DB and THREE receivers IN ONE DRAFT. Did he think the game is played exclusively outside the numbers? :D
    Should have been fired earlier than he was.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Would you be happy with a draft like the following draft? I took an OT after trading down, but then took WRs in the 2nd and 3rd round.

17. Taliese Fuaga OT Oregon State

48. Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky

72. Roman Wilson WR Michigan

111. Jaden Hicks S Washington State

121. Brandon Coleman OG TCU

135. Joe Milton QB Tennessee

159. Erick All TE Iowa

tomdeb likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Would you like this draft?

17. Taliese Fuaga OT Oregon State

48. Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky

72. Roman Wilson WR Michigan

111. Jaden Hicks S Washington State

121. Brandon Coleman OG TCU

135. Joe Milton QB Tennessee

159. Erick All TE Iowa

tomdeb likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I would. Read several times that Corley is the major sleeper in the whole draft, and also like the developmental QB at 135.

13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Bowers is definitely good but I think Ruckert is going to be solid for us this year at TE. He showed flashes last year in very limited chances and a terrible qb throwing him the ball. Smith alone has missed 33 games in the last 4 years, it is madness to expect him to play the whole year without going down. We should draft out tackle of the future if he is there at 10 and let him learn for a few games behind the hall of famer before he goes down.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Glad they got him. Like all of the signings, I really hope he stays healthy.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I hope that Williams will be fully recovered and stay healthy. He is definitely a great add IF he can play anywhere near where he did before the ACL injury.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

We are totally stocked at tight end, and we have a pair of 33 year olds at tackle. Bowers can't play OT if either of our starting tackles go down. I would like the best OT at 10, or perhaps a trade down and take OT Mimms later in round 1.
    Because he is somewhat raw, Mims is exactly the kind of OT who we could stash for 1 year behind the great vets, or plug in if needed . He only played a limited number of college games, but he is an unbelievable talent and has all-pro potential.

17. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

His (obj) ego will allow him to be potentially the 3rd or 4th option depending on the draft?

18. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

They're not going to draft 2 tackles. They currently have 2 young tackles they've drafted over the last 2 years, I don't see them giving up on them and I don't think they should. JD wants to keep 10 oline, so in addition to the 5 starters, he'll likely have 2 tackles, 2 guards and a backup center. They've got the 2 young tackles, schweitzer and the other guard they just signed (though he may not make the team because his guarantee is not that high). That leaves one or 2 interior line spots (including backup center). In a pinch, they could move AVT out to tackle too (although they don't want to). If they draft 2 tackles this year then at least one of the young tackles is gone and maybe both, so its not going to happen. Also, since they don't need the tackle to start right away, if they draft a tackle it'll likely be in the mid-rounds. My guess is that they'll take a WR, TE, RB or maybe DT in the first round and BPA in the 3rd (and second if they trade back and pickup a 2nd).

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Mitchell isn't worth a crap imo, and they should give up on him. The only reason they shouldn't give up on Warren is because he was a rookie last season. I disagree that they will wait until the mid-rounds to take an OT. Smith has missed a bunch of games since 2019 and Moses has a bad shoulder. To expect them to stay healthy and play the entire season would be foolish. At his point, neither Mitchell nor Warren look like they will be a quality starter by 2025. If JD does wait until the mid-round to take an OT, he should be fired as soon as the draft is over. AVT should not be moved out to OT again. That's how he's gotten injured twice. His arms are too short.. He needs to stay at OG imo.

There's not a RB worthy of being taken in the 1st round. If he takes a RB or DT in the 1st round, he should be fired as soon as the pick is announced, and not allowed to even finish the draft.

tomdeb, mezzavo and Borat like this.
  20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don’t know enough about the college game to comment on the players, but I love the philosophy and shape of this draft. A little IOL depth later on, a QB prospect, and an Iowa tight end with the easiest nickname you’ll ever find in this game.

The only thing I might change would be if there was a bruising power back available in the third or fourth round… I think the offense could really use that.

NCJetsfan likes this.