How to fix the offensive line?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes but the problem is that our esteemed HC has already said that our OL coach did a nice job and will be back, so unless someone with more sense overrules Saleh and fires our terrible OL coach, Becton wouldn’t get any better coaching here…

Borat likes this.
  2. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Let me reconsider: (1) sustain the same OL coach who mentored/developed one of the worst OLs in recent history, (2) keep the same O-linemen, (3) hope that an over-40 QB who hasn't completed an NFL pass in 18 months will fix the problems. (4) Talk all offseason about how it was "the injuries" at the expense of all else, and talk about how the team "finished strong" by beating a tanking bottom-5 team in a snowstorm. (5) spend the offseason kicking the tires on bargain-basement cast-aside OTs with injury histories. (6) draft best available player at 10, especially if it is D-line or CB because you can never have too much depth in those positions. (7) spend all preseason talking about how the OL "big boys up front" need to do their jobs better because everyone else on the team is super-bowl ready (especially the 12 D-linemen on the 53 man roster)

The_Darksider likes this.
  3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I just have a feeling that David Bakhtiari ends up starting at LT for the jets this year. Not that he solves the issue, but there is a stable of young guys on this team to back him up; we also need to find the answer at RT. Not sure it’s Max Mitchell

abyzmul likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

David had 4 surgeries on his knee and there is no guarantee he is going to be fine this year. Chances are he won't. But ... at <5 mil one year deal, he may be worth a shot. Assuming he cleared basically imagine replacing Billy or Max with him. We will still need two other good OTs. But for a cheap contract I would take a chance given the upside if dr clears. However, this would not be considered a marquee signing and/or draft pick that we need to make on top of this, this would be more of a Billy Turner replacement - a back-up who can potentially win a starting job, but we still need to get 2 starting caliber OTs to replace Becton and Duane. Then if David beats them, good for him, but he cannot be counted on a a starter nor should he get a starter's contract.

RochesterJet and Jets79 like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Do what the Cowboys do? They seem to draft an OL high every other year or even more frequently. Their group hasn't been bad in quite some time.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

David Bakhtiari is probably the source of Rodgers' recruiting boasts a week ago. He's almost a lock to be a Jet for way too much money. Aarod getting his buddy his final payday up in this mug.

And this is almost sure to be the cherry on the sundae of fucked up OL injury situations for JD.

Although it would be funny to see the guy spurn the Jets anyway. I only have morbid humor left for this team.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Bakhtiari isn't as old as I thought he was, just 32. Not sure how bad his knee situation is but he could be a nice solution for us at LT if it's not too bad. Maybe he takes a discount to play with Rodgers again.

If possible, I'd just like for us to do enough for the OL pre-draft to not be 100% forced into taking an OT with our first pick. I'm not opposed to taking one, but JD seems to do terribly when he has his heart set on 1 guy and gets thrown a curveball during the draft.

Jets79 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

REVISion is sniffing the air and catching the scent of Malik Nabers!

Not that I blame you. I feel like OL is the "responsible" thing to draft but if there was any way we could Bakhtiari our way out of it and get another Garret Wilson/Breece type impact skill guy..... tempting to say the least.

A lot of these football personnel moves are basically gambles anyway. I'm almost tempted to say fuck it lets go for it. Worst case scenario is that the OL shatters again and you go into the next year with another stud skill guy that much closer to his prime for whatever the new quarterback is. So by doing that strategy even if you failed you'd be making progress. And at the rate the Jets tend to fail it might be something to strongly consider.

Nyjets4eva and REVISion like this.
  9. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I have kept up with the off season Free Agency. But I do pay as much attention to players on other teams as ours.

With all that has happened. what is the general feeling with you guys on our O-Line??