2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Can't hate on the two o-line signings. One young guy who should provide excellent depth. A vet who (hopefully) shouldn't have started his decline should immediately have a big impact.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Michael Gallup released. Reeks of a Joe Douglas bargain bin signing.

4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I wanted him before he signed the extension, but he has not been very good since then.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Andre Dillard from the titans as well.

Becton was tied for first for sacks allowed last year with 12. Tied with Andre Dillard. JD certainly has a type

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

SackRecord99 likes this.
  7. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Joe Douglas would pay more the 10m for him. There is not one once of a sign he is looking to make any splash or over pay since 2019

and the other thing is, the longer he is a a FA the better chances he goes back to Dallas

Joe Douglas has yet to sign a free agent when there is a choice between another team. It’s sad, players want money and he has his “value”

#528 nevbeats319, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  8. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Curious what the money look likes on that 1 year Jimmy G deal>

I kinda figured he'd be this year's version of Carson Wentz and who waited for that preseason injury to hopefully happen.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why would any team give up any assets - even a 7th round pick - for him when they know the Jets are going to have to cut him and they can get him without giving up anything? As someone else pointed out elsewhere, this is the same reason that Fields hasn't been moved.

You guys who hate Zach are so obsessed with making a case for seeing him not only out of the Jets lockeroom, but out of football completely. I can't recall ever seeing a reaction for a player like this in my 60+ years of watching football. Yes, in hindsight he was a bad pick. I've admitted that plenty of times. But it can also be true that the reason he was a bad pick was because the Jets don't know how to develop young QBs (let alone build good offenses for ANY QB). Would Zach have succeeded on a team like the Chiefs? You're sure he wouldn't, I think maybe he might have. Neither one of us are experts, nor do we have access to all the info, data, and firsthand scouting of him that Douglas & Co have, so neither one of us can be so emphatic that the other is wrong, and yet, I get bludgeoned by you and some others like you KNOW FOR A DEAD CERTAINTY that Zach couldn't ever have succeeded in the right circumstances.

And the main issue I've been speaking to isn't so much that Zach (or Sam, or Geno, et. al.) got screwed by the Jets - which they did - but that the Jets ineptitude in finding and developing QBS should be the focus of your anger. IDK why you guys have such a hard on against him, and frankly I don't are because first of all you're criticism is way biased and over the top, and secondly, it's misdirected. But if you're going to keep dragging him up as the reason the Jets offense sucked so badly, I'm going to continue pushing back. There are way bigger and deeper problems with the Jets and their offense than Zach Wilson, and you're going to see that soon enough.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

This offseason is identical to 2020
    Signing a “value tackle” in free agency - George Fante

Signing a “value” wide receiver in Bradshad Perriman.

Drafting a OT and WR in round 1 and 2 both ended up being disasters

11. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Overpaying for Tyron Smith would open options at pick #10 where we can draft a playmaker.

Get Bakhtiari as a depth piece if he's willing.

With those moves, all of a sudden on paper, key word being paper, we have a competitive roster that should end the playoff drought.

Joe D would never though.

AG3 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And you also end up with your top 3 tackles being 33 years old. Two of which have missed significant time over the past couple of seasons. Sounds like a disaster.

mattyd99 and AG3 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. I understand why the WRs who could be there at #10 are tantalizing and tempting, but imo it would be most unwise to take one rather than an OT.

For starters you want our only two LTs to have major injury histories, especially with all the injury issues we've already had on the OL over the last 3-4 seasons? What makes you think that Bakhtiari would be healthy when (not if) Smith goes down with an injury? I can see it now, the Jets have a 8-2 record and are looking like a shoe-in for the playoffs, then Smith goes down with a season-ending injury and Bakhtiari's already out for the season. Then it would be Warren or Mitchell at LT, and the Jets would lose their last 7 games and finish 8-9 and out of the playoffs. No thanks! Even if both stayed healthy all year, they'd most likely only be good for one season and then retire. Moses at RT will probably be gone after this season, and then the Jets would have no starting OTs again, and next year's FA and draft could be a lousy one for OTs, and the Jets would be screwed. Again, no thanks!

IMO the Jets HAVE to draft an OT at #10 or trade down a few spots and take an OT. They have to look to the future and not just this season. Chances are that even if they're fortunate enough to be able to trade down and acquire a 2nd round pick, all the top OTs would be gone by that pick, and they certainly won't get one at pick #72. It's a deep draft for WRs, and the Jets could still get a very good WR prospect there. We don't need a stud WR at #10 who would compete with G. Wilson for the #1 WR spot. We need a solid #2 WR, and we may get that in FA before the draft, and we could very well wind up adding a WR in either the 3rd round, or 2nd round if we're able to trade down.

#534 NCJetsfan, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Jets Tyron Smith.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That makes things more interesting. Still gonna get hurt but maybe they'll still sign Bakhtiari.

REVISion likes this.
  16. dawinner127

Get 17 combined out of Bahktiari and smith and we’re cooking.

REVISion and abyzmul like this.
  17. dawinner127

Pretty Rickey the goat

IIMeanDeanII and abyzmul like this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was going to say, sign 2 more starting OT and we might have 17 games covered.

IIMeanDeanII and dawinner127 like this.
  19. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Well, thats why I said on paper.

But I am willing to take the risk- and now it looks like the Jets are as well.