Welcome back to the Jets, Morgan Moses!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He played next to a pro bowl guard and center and plays on a team that plays with multiple tightends all the time. They also line up a sixth offensive lineman a ton and/or put a 6th offensive lineman who wears #42 on the field.

I think it’s easy to see why he was “better” the last two years than with the Jets. And I also think it’s reasonable to see the guy decline next year. We’ve done the old offensive lineman thing a couple times and they can fall off a huge fucking cliff.

There’s limited tackles available and he comes at a reasonable price so the move is fine to me. But I understand the skepticism. As I said before - we typically get guys after they have two good seasons and then they come here for their final hurrah and suck nuts.

joelip, LAJet and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Desperation costs draft picks and lots of money.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I know that is something he said at the time, but to be fair, we never made a real offer to him, and I am fully of the belief that had we wanted to, we could have come up with a number that would have gotten the deal done. I know players do want to play for winners, no question…but in like 99% of the time, money talks. They have short careers and they will play for the best contract unless it’s close, and then other stuff like coaches or winning teams will clearly be a factor. So sure, a shitty team may have to overpay a bit…I just feel like we never tried.

I’m glad he’s back as he’s a solid and dependable tackle. Now we still need another one, and if we sign a good option in free agency, that opens up the draft in a crazy good way…we can stay at 10 and take the best OT or WR, we can trade back a few spots if that works and still take an OT or WR…just creates options.

Very happy with the move…but then, I never loved that we let him go in the first place.

Borat likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well there’s always a chance, but it’s also true that our OL was SO bad last year, that even if these guys are average, that will be a freaking huge improvement from what we had. But yah, you raise a valid concern…Baltimore is a very well run club and they felt they can do better with other players…but to us, THESE guys are the better players…sad but it is what it is…the fact that JD is going into year 5 and our OL is arguably worse than what he took over is a bad look on him

Borat, joelip and Stevied like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…one way to look at it is with a snapshot mindset type of view…like ok, we are 3 years, 4 years, in this case 5 years into your leadership here. How do we look compared to when you started? That’s a legitimate question to ask.

And honestly, we’ll see how 2024 looks, but so far, it’s been fair to say we look no better now than when JD took control. Our offense is still bottom 3 in the league, our defense was and continues to be good, his hand picked coach has not proven a single thing and has not had a single winning season, we still don’t have a long term answer at QB despite using the second overall pick and then trading for a huge contract for an older guy, our OL still sucks balls, our cap situation isn’t overly terrible but we have a consistently losing team and its not like we have $60M in cap space either…all of this is not a good review of JD’s tenure, and I was a big supporter of him but even I have a hard time defending his overall tenure any more…he’s made some great trades and had one great draft and one really good free agent signing in DJ Reed. Maybe I’m missing a few other good things, but outside of those wins, he’s had a lot of bad draft picks and blown first round picks and a lot of terrible free agent signings.

And the result of that is that it sure feels like if we don’t win this year, Woody will likely be cleaning house at GM and HC…AGAIN.

But rightfully so. JD will have his 6th year, Saleh his 4th. In today’s NFL, that’s an eternity to prove you can do it. If they fail this year, they all gotta go.

NCJetsfan and azhar80 like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that’s exactly my point. We aren’t getting 2022 or 2023 Moses. We had him and let him walk

joelip likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes very well said, I couldn’t have said it better even if I tried.

it takes time and development to build a good line. This patchwork stuff never works.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agreed on that…while I still think this trade was a good move and improves our OL, I agree development is the way to go. Unfortunately, our offensive coaches haven’t been able to develop a fucking cold, let alone any semblance of a good OL.

Good coaches make players better…feels like we haven’t had that in years…

NCJetsfan, joelip and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He got $15 million over 3 years. Imagine the Jets offered him $17-18 million over 3 years?

NFL players don’t turn down 20% more to go play for a preferred team especially when you’re talking about the relatively low career earnings (compared to the high paid players) like Moses has made.

The only way the whole he wanted to go to a contender thing could be validated is if there was a substantial offer on the table and he chose the contender.

10. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Moses is good, this is a good move, probably the first one I like regarding getting someone who played on another team last season. Enough of the nonsense who he played next to, stop trying to think too hard, guys a solid player.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. #28Martin

I’m sure he’s very concerned about getting your credit

Ptflea2, IIMeanDeanII and Centiment like this.
  12. #28Martin

Maybe they should make you the GM with all you have to offer.

13. #28Martin

This ^^^

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. abyzmul

I give credit to the grocery store. Sometimes multiple times a week. It always feels bad.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Or Carter…can he teach it right? He obviously failed the other way…

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Many here don’t quite get that point. They think if you want any one then puff, make it happen. Like the players wishes have no bearing in the decisions. Is so easy to be an arm chair GM when you only have to use the factoids that suit you.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. abyzmul

I'm sure Morgan Moses is very happy to be back. Plus he is going to one of the few places that's worse than Maryland for taxes. Bonus.

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure I buy that 2-3 million will convince a player, that's good, to play on a bad or non contending team. That's probably less than ten percent of their career earnings to sacrifice a chance to be a champion.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Go JETS! :confused:

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Let’s face It.
    There are going to be some on this board that will hate every move that JD makes now.
    He’s earned that kind of criticism overall.
    However. I think he’s making some sound moves overall right now.

It sucks that he didn’t have the foresight to realize just how shotty our offensive line was heading into last season. I think the big majority of us knew that JD essentially keeping the same lineup was going to bite us hard In the ass.

So he deserves criticism.

I appreciate that JD found a good deal In an off-season where change has to be made with less cap flexibility to make those changes.
    To me. So far, so good.
    Hopefully JD solidifies this OL finally. Let’s hope.