Rumors, Predictions & Craziness

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m not even sure why it matters. Corey Davis had about two or three good games as a Jet and only played 22/34 games in two seasons here.

He probably would’ve been better than the alternative of Randall Cobb early in the season but I don’t think it would’ve made much of a difference.

SOJAZ likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

[QUOTE="Donttasemebro, post: 4390142]

Not going after you personally but this is a rough take. These guys are human beings with personal lives. If the decision was made because he and his wife were going through some shit i'm not sure how that is "getting cucked".[/QUOTE]

I agree but it was still a bitch move (regardless of the reason) to quit that close to the season. I always try to view these guys as human beings and all that jazz but when doing that - would you be able to quit your job because you were going through marital problems? Because most can’t.

Cuck is definitely the wrong terminology though.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Unless there was a health issue in the family, quitting on the team right before the season was a dick move. Now, I don't know what happened there, so I am reserving judgement, but getting cucked is a funny way to describe it, and we could use some humor around here. I do think he can be a solid #3 when if is back though, so would like him on a cheap deal. You cannot compare him to Cobb.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

I wasn’t comparing him to Cobb. I think he would’ve been much better than Cobb, but how much of a difference would it have made?

For whatever reason, the term cuck elicits a very sensitive reaction around here. I remember using it in a game thread last year and there were a lot of upset folks. Doesn’t bother me, but I don’t think his wife was really just bitching that he wasn’t around enough lol.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They knew before they signed Lazard and Cobb that Davis wasn’t gonna be reliably available

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Last year frankly even a different back-up QB nor Davis would have helped much because we did not have the basic fundamental ingredient required for the offense to function: a minimum acceptable level of OL competence. Next year I do hope we will and then a guy like Davis could be very productive and good to have, especially on the cheaper side, since he missed a year last year (or one could say got cucked).

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not to mention a minimum acceptable level of OC competence!

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just feel like if we had an acceptable OL, we could have made play-offs last year with Zach at QB, with the WRs that we had, and even with shitty OC. Even something like Broderick Jones and Fant as OTs, then maybe a trade for Ezra Cleveland for a late pick, and we win 10 games last year. But, that's water under the bridge. Just gotta learn and do better this year.

Think about this. Our best OT was Carter Warren last year, and frankly he sucked. He should be #10 OL and he had a lot of problems last year. As of now it does not look like he was a good pick, though want to wait one more year, since he was a rookie. Still he has long way to go to become a serviceable player, and he is already 25. And yet he probably looked better than other scrubs. That's what I mean by us not even having baseline level of minimal acceptable competence to run the offense.

#48 Borat, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  9. BrowningNagle

offensive line are half the guys on the field when we have the ball. Yeah, if we had a good one maybe its a playoff team but I'm sure 99% of the league can say if they replaced a whole half unit with good players they would be good

Donttasemebro likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I didn't mention any all stars though, just a rookie we should have had and a cheap guy we had a year before and could have retained. Plus a late pick for an average guard, which was traded for 6th. Our line was bottom of the League, don't put 99% of the NFL in that category.

11. BrowningNagle

It was a bad offense. 32nd in the league. That is dead last. Ezra Cleveland and a rookie that struggled at times in Pittsburgh doesn't push this team over the edge. 7-10 with those guys.

to quote Troy Aikman "I dont see it. The Jets are a bad team with a good defense"

12. Jaybranch23

Jaybranch23 Active Member

I think you under estimate how bad Wilson is and how he contributed to the OL futility. The line was bad - but Wilson’s play made it worse (calling blocking schemes, changing plays at the line, getting the ball out fast, stepping up in the pocket, etc.)

not saying the line would have been good with competent QB play - but it would have helped a lot

13. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I think that's my point...none of us knows. it could be a lot of different things...could very well have been a health issue....mental, physical...whatever. Maybe we hold off on judging the dude.

Having been through a divorce a few years back I'm comfortable with a player putting his marriage ahead of playing but I understand people feeling like he left the jets in a lurch.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not Just Broderick. Fant also as well as Ezra. That's 3/5 of OL replaced from the absolute worst to average players. It would make a huge difference.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And don't trade anything for Geno, except maybe some Gatorade.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Last season was a really bad season for JD. It seems like it was a combination of decisions based on poor judgement and utter neglect of some positions that needed to be filled. I'm still scratching my head over JD's 2023 season. Did he think that once he got Rodgers, he had done enough for one year? I don't know.

Borat and ouchy like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I hear this a lot, including from Woody, that back-up QB is the reason for this failure to large extent. That's just not what my eyes are telling me. Aside from Minshew and Brissette I just don't think other back-up QBs would do better. Again, we are talking about a back-up here, not a starter. Our starter was lost on an unfortunate accident when OL failed to protect him. Before that he had 3 passing plays and was pressured and couldn't do anything either. Granted it was a small sample size and he would do better if he managed to stay healthy, but still ... every single play pressured and not able to do anything.

Then other QBs also couldn't do anything, Now, the line was as bad this entire year as it was at the end of last season when CMG started his decline. Looking back at the end of last year I see Mike White, Flacco, Zach, Boyle, and Siemian unable to function. Rodgers too on 4 plays. Now, Flacco and Siemian actually played within a year of their performance for the Jets - for other teams. Flacco looked serviceable with Browns. And Siemian for Chicago and NO. while here is QB rating was far and away career low at 62. Is this all a coincidence? Every single QB looks like shit behind our OL, including Rodgers on 4 plays, but then these who played elsewhere (Siemian, Flacco) look serviceable? No it is not. OL was the absolute main reason for failure. And this is not to say OC was good - he was shit. But inability to have basic functioning offense, that's primarily on the OL.

As far as Zach, I agree that his first two years were terrible: this was a kid from a small school, who should have had red shirt year 1 and maybe 2. No question that last year and one before he was terrible when thrusted to play before he was ready. But this year he looked like an average back-up. Compare him to Siemian for example. The guy was a serviceable back-up from NO and Chicago. Now he is 62 rated here. Zach had 77 rating. Again, I am not saying Zach was great, but he was not as bad as 1st two years, and for a back-up, he was OK/average. If we had even average OL (by having guys like Broderick, Fant, Cleveland, which many fans wanted at the time they were available), with this defense we would have a good shot to win 10 games and make play-offs, even with Zach. We were not going to go far after that, maybe like Browns, but back-up QB was not the main problem we had.

red75bronco likes this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yeah, sometimes he changed the play and I got excited and they ran it up the middle and gained < 0 yards. Rinse and repeat. The Jets did not have an NFL-level offense last season.

19. BrowningNagle

I think a lot of people struggle with the question of doing what’s right or making your boss happy and collecting a paycheck.

Joe Douglas has had nothing but losing seasons. He knew Woody was obsessed with Rodgers and it would buy him another year or two of collecting that nice paycheck, whereas doing what was right for the team, may not have

He made his choice. Good for his family but Jets fans are fucked

ouchy likes this.
  20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I predict we will go 7-10