Woody Johnson is MAD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The_Darksider, Feb 8, 2024.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

No matter whether Zach Wilson was worth a pack of cigarettes or a first round pick, you don't go and say that a month before you're going to be looking to trade him. Just points to a total lack of any football sense, business savvy, negotiation ability - the list goes on - and that extends to everything.

The take away here is that our owner is a complete moron from top to bottom. There isn't anything specific to concentrate on. We are doomed with this guy at the helm.

Borat, papapump and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's a comedy of errors, but no-one is laughing. I've downgraded my opinion severely on Joe Douglas for three things: 1) not having the maturity level to admit his mistake without demoralizing Zach Wilson psychologically and handing Wilson a no harm/no foul way out over "not being a fit", without appearing to blame shift in a shitty way and 2) pursuing Aaron Rodgers at all, but in so doing, not securing a viable back up QB for the very real possibility of what happened happening . . . 'cause ya know . . . change the culture and all that . . . BUT JETS, YO and 3) letting that bumbling fool, Woody Johnson, throw his bloviating useless weight around when Douglas previously managed to lock him out of the room.

I don't have much faith in Joe Douglas about anything to speak of at this point because of those three things, but 1 & 2 are equally egregious for 1) doubling down and refusing to diplomatically admit he misfired and 2) having no insurance for a FORESEEN disaster that some of us professionally unqualified nobodies on a message board managed to see that we're not paid to see. That is a huge indictment, and not just because of habitual knee-jerk doom and gloom and the high probability of it happening. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. Anyway, sort of saying the same thing twice.

Douglas needs to hit it huge in the draft, which was a RELATIVE strong point of his. However, doubling down on a mistake points to a serious character flaw and almost cancels out the rest. He could've humbly admitted defeat and been better for it, everyone is allowed a glaring mistake if they own it and make up for it later. Anyway, there is a better than decent talent pool on this team, but a well-oiled machine doesn't operate as a sum of its part unless the crane operator knows that the fck he's doing.

Just say no to drugs. I mean, Woody.

ETA: Who amongst ye wouldn't have taken a hit in dumping Wilson for long term gain? I know that was a huge sticking point for many, but all these months later, we're screwed, anyway. o_O

mezzavo likes this.
  3. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

I've been a Zach hater since we drafted him. Never thought he was a good pick from the get go.
    BUT...Woody actually makes me feel bad for the guy.
    Imagine being called out like that from the owner of the company you work for.
    It's totally classless, regardless of how bad he played. You just don't tear people down like that. Especially as the head of the organization.
    I'm actually hoping Zach resurrects himself and gives a huge middle finger to the jerkoff who owns our team.
    And I hope he rips him publicly, telling the media, the problem in Florham Park is assclown who owns the team.

REVISion, papapump, NY Jets68 and 3 others like this.
  4. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

This 100%

Joe/Saleh pull the plug on Zach as the starter in 2022, and follow that by heading into last offseason with every indication of the team being committed to move on from Zach Wilson as our starting QB. With the owner even coming out now and going on record as essentially stating that he didn't believe Zach should of been the QB we ran with after Rodgers went down.

But *STILL* we have people who flat out refuse to acknowledge the one massively changing variable that got entered into the equation, or who much less are willing to point the finger at what has always been (by far) the most logical suspect of who was really at the wheel and driving that decision :)

#44 Kronoking, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Do you think Woody is stupid enough to think saying “we didnt have a backup QB” would not have been seen as a shot at Wilson?

I may have worded that question strangely

Borat likes this.
  7. Kronoking

I'm probably one of the biggest Woody critics out there, but in this specific case I think you are missing the big picture chess move happening within that comment on the backup QB. At least while acknowledging the surrounding reality that there a remains a glass ceiling in place in just how competent a QB a declining Rodgers will allow to be his backup in his "saving the franchise" story here after taking that $35m paycut. That is why the team ran with Zach last year, and that is why any suggestions of bringing in a better option for 2024 like Brissett are currently being delusional atm/imo.

So to me that is a frustrated and with his hands partially tied Woody basically telling Rodgers " this time you don't get to hide that call being made behind me". Which in turn potentially points more blame game pressure Rodgers' way if/when it needs to be explained, and which as I've been pointing out for a while now is the *ONLY* current path to seeing any real change heading into 2024. As above all else Rodgers doesn't want to be the villain in his own story here. If the media/fans start doing a better job of pushing the widespread narrative there you then start breaking things down to it's either going to be me or you territory rules there....and it ain't gonna be him.

In that respect Woody is doing us a solid here.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I can easily see a 4 win season. Rodgers has a bad game, blames his teammates, cause a silent rift because of lack of leadership. Then gets hurt, and the locker room explodes. Woody thinks all we need is a guard and two tackles, while listing Tipp as top talent.

What nobody mentions is we have awful depth a most positions. And not just on offense. Yes, our defense has been solid, but they have also had two years of being blessed as the healthiest unit in the league. One LB goes down and we drop considerably. And for some reason whenever Q isn't in the game our pass rush success rate drops by 90%. DTs are important but that is way overblown. We run a simple defense that relies on quality talent over scheme to succeed. You lose even one key player and it starts wobbling badly.

We need a lot more quality talent to get to the place upcoming teams like the Texans and Lions are. But our current course offers no way to get there. What Woody is failing to recognize is that if we stay this course then 2025 wont be a good year either. Its not to late to start building a long term winner this season with a larger scale pivot. We wont have this opportunity very often. But Woody can't understand that and has picked another dumb hill to die on.

9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Good point. Two ways this goes... Either 1) Zach keeps silent and gets on another team as a backup and just grinds, in which case he's showing alot more class than Woody. Or 2) At some point in the next year, and timed for maximum impact, Zach will spill the beans about the clown show that is the Jet organization. And when he does it will make the Atlantic article look like a feel good story. And Zach has every right to respond considering our dickhead billionaire owner with the big mouth.

#49 PulseJet, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    horsehead, SOJAZ, papapump and 3 others like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Probably depends on how many drinks in he was, and if he thought he was talking to someone from his house staff.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What are you guys complaining about? Little Woody trashing Zach just increased his trade value; now there's some hope Zach might be good after all.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I heard he's pretty good at pickleball...

The_Darksider likes this.
  13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

How DARE you mention this team in the same breath as Houston and Detroit, even if it was a simple comparison! :D J/K Have to get my humor where I can.

This shit show is a whole hell of a lot more damaged than just a couple years out. This team needs a top to bottom (Owner to the lowliest scout) cleanout. Outside the average office staff and receptionist, the whole thing needs to be obliterated. Hell, this thing needs to be looked at as if we were WORSE than an expansion franchise! With an expansion franchise you get a clean slate coming out the gate. In this SHIT show, the SHIT has to be washed out BEFORE we can take a look at the slate and the shit is so deep and been there so long, that cleanout may take a decade all by itself! This sure as hell isn't going to be like the Rams or Texans where we just draft well, have a lucky break here or there. This is going to be a full decade + nightmare and that's IF Wood-rough carts his ass out of the way. Seeing as we KNOW that's not going to happen, welcome to purgatory eternal. I see NOTHING that even remotely tells me that the NY Jets are going to be anything more than they are right now. That's a sad sack team that makes the "insert team name here" look like the freakin' 80's Chicago Bulls...in ALL leagues. I would put $1,000 down that this team doesn't see a playoff visit in the next decade and I'm almost willing to go with, "in my lifetime that I have left."

No matter HOW I look at it, I still don't understand people that still show up to that shithole stadium and pay to watch this trash. Even if it IS to spend time with "little Billy." Pretty fucking sad if you ask me.

SOJAZ, The_Darksider and ouchy like this.
  14. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson IS mad, but I'm not talking about angry. He's insane.

It's all for show. He doesn't care as long as the team generates revenue.

15. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

"We need a backup QB. We didn’t have one last year.”

This statement is just so pathetic.

80% of the fan base wanted a quality backup last year when the Rodgers news was announced.

Our bottom-tier front office decided Zach was good enough, even though stating numerous times he was going to benefit from a redshirt year.

Make it make sense, please. If Woody truly feels this way, Joe D should not be currently employed.

Ralebird, SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have a slightly different perspective on that ill conceived and idiotic comment by Woody
    1- First off, if we did not have a back up QB whose incompetent fault is that? Zach’s…hardly. Is the pathetic combination of the front office and CS
    1a- You managed to completely ignore the pathetic OL depth and capability, and magnified the fact that not only we didn’t have a back up QB, but even worst, we didn’t even have a game plan for any other QB nor the smarts to leverage the strength of the remaining talent. You have now put the spot light on how bad your zoo OC staff was yet you did nothing about it
    2- By throwing Zach under the bus you have further ratified the Rossini piece and accepted the massive dysfunctional capability of the leadership
    3- Whatever Zach’s value was, your statement managed to bring it down to zero, and the teams that are willing to take a flyer on h will still take him anyhow for free now and thank you profusely
    4- Rest assure the fans are even madder than you, not because we didn’t have a back up QB, but because we have an owner that has accepted medriocacy from his leadership and has never, never established a culture of winning.

horsehead, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 6 others like this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bingo...and what a efinn hypocritic. It was reported that he spoke to JD and RS daily...So what the F is he talking about ....you knew excatly what was happening ... so FU you lying POS.

And finally, Captain Rogers will take the good ship NYJ to the bottom and frankly, its on its way now with all his stellar input.

ouchy likes this.
  18. Kronoking

In all fairness there Woody is dying on a hill right now that 95% of the media and fanbase were wild cheering him on while he was chaining himself to it. With zero accompanying consideration be given to what exactly was being committed to with that "paycut" Rodgers took to come here. Which again, was wildly cheered on as a great thing worthy of unprecedented praise.

This isn't your standard owner can just start firing people situation. Which at this point and after those comments I genuinely believe Woody wishes it was atm. But that unprecedented deal Woody made to essentially rent Rodgers ownership level say/consideration in the NYJ is a lot more complex then that. Built on the type of promises and assurances you can't just renege on after-the-fact and in business when things don't initially go the way you want. At this point Woody made a deal he has no choice but to honor (hence why I"ll again state that backup QB comment actually amounted to a great chess move based on what he still can reasonably do there short of going back on his word).

But hey, let's all from the media right on down through the fanbase just keep pointing the fingers at everybody but the one most responsible at standing in the way of making any 2024 changes, and keep wondering why the same level of stupid continues to keep happening when the guy responsible for such doesn't have to concern himself with being held accountable for it.

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is the bottom line here, the pinnacle of Woody's idiocy. He is very mad, and as a result he decided to ... run it all back. All while ruining what little trade value Zach had. But hey, stern warning this time, really stern warning.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well done. Post of the year award material.

mezzavo likes this.