Aaron Rodgers, Robert Saleh and how the Jets’ season fell apart: ‘Something has to change’ (Article)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

If you’re a fan of this team, and watched them all year, absolutely none of this should be surprising or unexpected. It’s classic Jets, especially with the current ownership. And it isn’t changing anytime soon

2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm ever surprised by in a typical Jets season is trying to figure out what the catalyst for the implosion is going to be. That itself is the fun that the Jets provide. Every so often, and in this case it's going on a decade and a half, they actually surprise us by doing a little winning before ripping our hearts out in even grander fashion in the postseason.

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers had a passer rating of 91.1 with 3,695 yards, 26 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 2022. On what planet in any solar system in the galaxy is that something to use as a basis for regression to the level of Zach Wilson?

Borat and Acad23 like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Clearly he is talking about how Rodgers might look in 2024, not 2022. Father time hits hard. The great Peyton Manning looked the same as a bum like Brock Osweiler when he was old and injured. And now Rodgers is old and injured.

I think the Rodgers of old is a thing of the past as well and if people are expecting that, they will be severely disappointed.

--

The sooner we can get out of this mess and move on, the better IMO. We all know Hackett really sucks, we know Saleh sucks, we know Rodgers is old and injured, but we pray for miracles anyway

#164 BrowningNagle, Feb 6, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    Ralebird, ouchy and The_Darksider like this.
  5. The_Darksider

If that's the case, then I totally interpreted it wrong. However, I still don't think even a significantly diminished Rodgers would be as bad as Zach Wilson. Perhaps in some ways, yes, but in those instances where Wilson was just plain dumb or incapable, AR would probably make those plays

I stopped hoping for a miracle a long time ago lol it's like dating, first couple of girlfriends, you have eternal hope until you get kicked in the nuts enough times, then there's a shield around your insides. That's where I am.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Peyton had serious neck surgery.

Rodgers had a broken thumb on his throwing finger and still managed 91.1 with 3,695 yards, 26 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

They are not the same.

Borat, NY Jets68 and Acad23 like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

He is coming off a torn achilles.. aka "serious ankle surgery"

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

And? Rodgers hasn't been a mobile QB in years. Tom Brady has never been mobile. The guy off an achillies vs a guy off a spinal fusion surgery. I know what side I want.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

I dont really want either, they are both busted up old guys

Brady is an exception to the norm. And, I believe, was hyper-focused on his craft anyway. I dont think Rodgers is

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Peyton also had a debilitating neck injury that limited his ability to put literally any zip on the ball. He never had the strongest arm to begin with and he made Chad post-rotator cuff injury look like Josh Allen.

I think the counterpoint being made is that he’s been a top ten QB at his worst and the best at his very best. I don’t see why he can’t be at worst top 17-20 next year and if the defense plays like it did this year that should be enough to get us into the playoffs.

I agree though that this is a terrible situation to be in. But to equate his potential performance to being near Zach Wilson in any sense of the statement is just silly. Pure ability to process information at the LOS and get into the right play will keep him and the team competitive and much better than Wilson.

11. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Again, I never said he'd be *as* bad as Zach Wilson. Just that how much better is realistically in serious question atm, and not likely imo to be better enough to makes a playoff run difference.

As I've already pointed sometimes you have to look beyond the fluffed up TD total helping to ever so slightly boost that rating ahead of guys like Mariotta/Brissett/Heinicke. That combined with the "name" value here are helping to create the illusion that AR's total body of work in 2022 actually outplayed what we were seeing out of any of those other QBs (it didn't).

Rodgers was entering a season he was going to be 40yo. League history tells us that at such an advanced age, and outside the most extreme outlier ever in Tom Brady, every single year forward from this point on for Rodgers comes with overwhelming likelihood of performance decline. As well as the increased liklelihood his body will be playing banged up. I know that sucks for the desired storyline here...but that's just reality aspect in play there. And one that no rational projection take can brush aside. Thinking you can just take Rodgers already declining production #'s in Green Bay and expect a 1:1 transition onto *this* NY team is ultimately what is silly here. He's not playing at a high enough level anymore to support that. The support system in place which is a notable step down from what he had in GB isn't good enough to support that. And Father Time himself in no way supports that either and especially the further you move forward.

So i'll again say. If you acknowledge the likely decline that was going to happen, as well as the countless more times Rodgers was going to get sacked (or picked off) trying to make something happen behind our terrible 2023 o-line and complete inability to effectively gameplan/adjust......does that difference really move the needle a meaningful amount forward there? I just don't see it. It's just ends up being a different flavor of the same frustrating crap. Where you'd realistically need to jump up to the higher tier of legit difference-maker-on-their- own QB like a Josh Allen to *hopefully* better help overcome that, and that is NOT a tier Aaron Rodgers is on anymore at 40yo+.

#171 Kronoking, Feb 6, 2024
  12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

We have one of the best qbs to ever play. Which is saying something for the jets history. I would much rather give it a shot at 40, than not.

13. Kronoking

2024 and the 2024 season outcome doesn't care what Rodgers has done in the past.

These games don't get played in 2021.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If you making statements about not overlooking details, recognizing he had a broken thumb on his throwing hand would be a good start...

dawinner127 likes this.
  15. The_Darksider

I don't disagree that in a literal sense Aaron Rodgers would be much closer to Zach Wilson than he ever had before. Age, talent surrounding him, all of that dictates as much. But I flatly refuse to believe that as experienced, savvy, and talented as he is, that he wouldn't have done better than Zach Wilson. And better than Zach Wilson was what we needed to win several more games.

Who is also to say, throwing a dart here, that the offensive line wouldn't have been a little bit better with a guy who is more decisive? No doubt it sucked, injuries played a huge part as well, but I have to believe that guy as far along the all-time spectrum as Aaron Rodgers is would have done a little bit better job even if he wouldn't have been what he once was.

16. Kronoking

I've addressed that in the past:

I"m not discounting the fact he had a broken thumb. I just make more of a direct acknowledge on when the injury happened, how it looked and was being reported to affect him at the time (including taking into account comments Rodgers made himself), and the fact that it disappeared as talking point in the latter half of the season. It was only after the need to pump up Rodgers as an MVP level QB coming to NY that it was resurrected as a primary narrative tool to explain away the 2022 decline.

17. Kronoking

I mean is that what you were really seeing all year while watching the games play themselves out? An offense that was just a few extra QB making the dart throws away from figuring things out?

For me: Not. Even. Close.

A declined Aaron Rodgers managing to outplay Zach Wilson the few times a game our terrible offensive line and scheming even gave him a chance to doesn't bridge that chasm of failure imo. Nor would any other league average type QB you threw in there for that matter.

#177 Kronoking, Feb 6, 2024
  18. The_Darksider

Overall sense? Of course not. We don't have the coaching to implement the proper game plan or make suitable adjustments. But in a lot of instances? Absolutely. 100%. There were several games where if Aaron Rodgers was the quarterback the Jets would have almost certainly won.

I hope you don't think I'm saying that the Jets have been contending for a championship, I'm not. I am simply stating that they would have been better, and they were several winnable games that were left out there because Wilson couldn't figure it out.

I have to think that with Aaron Rodgers back there, even as the pleaded as he was likely to be, the Jets would have been in contention for the final playoff spot.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The article is irrelevant now that everyone is coming back. They won’t be judged on the failure of 2023. They’ve been given a pass by ownership. That’s what I mean by irrelevant. All that matters is 2024 now. We have seen Saleh do nothing but fail since 2021, but Woody wants to give him one more chance.

To me, 2023 was unacceptable for many reasons. I would have cleaned house. Including Joe Douglas, who I actually like, but his record did not warrant him returning for 2024. Now it’s do or die for the entire team. We will see how it goes. Could truly go any way. Super Bowl champs wouldn’t shock me, everyone fired by mid season wouldn’t shock me either.

Ralebird and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. Kronoking

Yeah, and all i'm saying is that the perceived difference there tends to get routinely overblown on a surface level imo when it conveniently glosses over the fact that system support can routinely make or break the type of non elite level qb play one can rationally expect of of an 40yo+ Rodgers in a grounded best case scenario .

For example if you put Baker Mayfield back in Carolina next year, where a year prior he was one of the worst QB in the league cut after 6 games, do you expect a direct replication of this past year's production in Tampa to come with him? No. In fact there is a good chance he's a lot closer to replicating that Carolina level of fail.

Same basically applies here imo. We are right there with Carolina as having one of the worst run offenses in the league. We have one of the worst OC ever, and we weren't even remotely close to figuring things out last year. This idea that Rodgers' production level can't or won't be notably worse here then he was in Green Bay is just flat out living on a plane of denial atm/imo, and one that needs to be adjusted to that projection reality. And that's before even getting into the very noteworthy surrounding concern on the aging curve stuff.