With the 10th pick..

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 7, 2024.

?

Who do you pick if all these are still available at Pick#10

1. Rome Odunze (WR)

30.2%
  2. Brock Bowers (TE)

17.5%
  3. Fashanu or another OL

41.3%
  4. I rather trade down if these are my choices

11.1%
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If we could get to 11 12 or 13 from one of those teams that wanted to come up and recoup a 2 (QB TAX is a real thing) I’m all in.

joelip and REVISion like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

On the cimini tweet from earlier —

Rich was one of, if not the only one, who was on the Jets taking Sauce. There’s absolutely smoke / fire with Fuaga. Not a bad thing but like JV said, insane how that’s being leaked 3 months before the draft. Very real scenario where teams now pinpoint Chicago at 9 to jump us yet again.

joelip likes this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Trade down.

Draft an OL.

Everything gets better.

LAJet likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

FYI, there is an article about Penix in today's NY Times. Not posting a link because you'd probably need a subscription, I'll summarize:

Penix has had to overcome a number of injuries early in his college career. Article emphasizes the importance of a QB's ability to overcome adversity, which Penix did to lead the NCAA in passing two years in a row. Also mentions that Bucky Brooks was one of the few NFL Draft analysts to predict success for CJ Stroud, with whom he favorably compares Michael Penix.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Nice and thanks for the info!

However, it doesn’t change my opinion in the slightest…

Brooks may have predicted success for Stroud (whom I did NOT expect to succeed even just on the fact that Ohio State has NEVER produced a quality NFL QB), but honestly I read his stuff on NFL.com and like 99 times out of 100 I absolutely disagree. I know he was a scout and I’m sure he knows way more about it than a fan like me, but I find his takes to be total crap most of the time…I hardly ever agree with him.

Second, like I said, I’m no expert on Penix and I’ve only seen one game…but my take is that in college, a player has to show up in the biggest game of his life (the title game). That’s when competition will be the toughest, and yet still not at the NFL level. So if a player stinks it up in this game, unless he’s hurt or something like that, I don’t want any part of them. That was how I felt about Vernon Gholston way back when…he was an absolute total non factor at DE for Ohio State and I remember saying man, please do not draft this kid! And of course we did, and he was one of our biggest busts.

So when I watched only this one game (I know! Small sample size), I hated what I saw from Penix. He may have a strong arm, but I saw some of the worst mechanics in a QB that I’ve seen in a long time…throwing sidearm, throwing off his back foot, not seeing open guys, missing open guys often…in short, to me he looked like an even worse version of Zach. Honestly, if I didn’t know he was a potentially high draft pick, I’d have not even looked at him at all thinking he’s never going to be an NFL QB.

Look, I know I may be totally wrong on the kid, but for me, I wouldn’t draft him in the first round … no how no way. He needs to be fixed and I have zero faith in us to do it. Maybe I’m being way too hard on him, but that’s just my opinion.

westiedog1 and ouchy like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Maybe if more players get over rated in the pre-draft hype, and the board falls our way on draft night, 10 might be worth something decent. At this point nobody is going to give up their 2nd to trade up to 10 for a non blue chip player. Lets get real here folks.

We should be more worried that Douglas knows this is his last chance, and he might start throwing away future picks for desperate trade ups to improve a half baked season.

#366 ouchy, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  7. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

That's certainly possible, but how do the Jets lose out on a top tackle at 10, now that we know that Fuaga is high on their list? It seems to me that either Fuaga or Fashanu have to be there at 10, and there's a good chance that both will be. 3 QB's (Williams, Maye, Daniels), 3 WR's (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze), and 1 T (Alt) are almost certainly top 10 locks because they are excellent players who fit the needs of the teams 1 to 9. The same might be said of Turner and Bowers, but I am less certain about them.

So, although two teams could ignore Turner and Bowers and draft Fuaga and Fashanu in the top 9, it's very doubtful that they will. By the way, even if they do, the Jets would be in excellent shape, as they could dangle Turner/Bowers to trade down and draft a couple of the second-tier tackles in a deep tackle draft (I particularly like Morgan, Guyton, and Mimms, three highly athletic tackles from major universities).

dawinner127 likes this.
  8. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yeah, Fuaga's arm length is good enough to be a good tackle. I'm concerned that his feet are not left-tackle, blind-side-pass-protection feet. But his feet certainly seem good enough for right tackle, and he sure is an explosive run blocker!

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. I also don’t think Bowers lasts till ten anyhow, as he is one special receiver for a TE and outstanding blocker. Some might pounce on him at nine like Chicago.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Swell, we most surely need an anchor RT as well. So there is that. I just hope if they pick him, they don’t play him out of his best position as they are prone to do. We must look at free agency for a vet as well.

12. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

With today’s insightful read in The Athletic, does it really friggin matter who they take at 10. You have to feel bad for whoever is taken.

mezzavo likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Penix is not in the same atmosphere as CJ Stroud. CJ had the accuracy and arm talent only few have had in the past few years. I’m a huge Bama fan and I knew Young wasn’t even close to CJs talent. CJ reminded me of Andrew Luck. Penix is a band aid and only played out of shotgun. He has a strong arm but lacks touch, accuracy, mobility and progressions. He’d be lucky to make a practice squad after 2-3 years

mezzavo and Jets79 like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What is that insightful read about?

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Or we could hold the applause at least until he actually makes a decision. Then we can debate its value until whoever he drafts actually plays a down. Or a season.

16. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

Disfunction, ineptitude and cluelessness in Woodyland. Google it up or look on this message board for it. Good read.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Got it. Thank you.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Holding the applause or criticism until then would make sense.

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That’s my view as well…I think he sucks…I see him as a potentially worse version of Zach honestly…but I saw all of those call outs in the title game…no touch, no accuracy, mobility wasn’t great, definitely didn’t see him go through progresssions, and just like Zach he didn’t see some open receivers…no thanks to that guy…we already have him in Zach and we saw how that plays out

Rockinz likes this.