Is 2024 DOA without adding any new offensive coaching?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kronoking, Jan 8, 2024.

?

Can the 2024 Jets make the playoffs with Hackett as the only offensive mind in the coaching room?

1. Absolutely. Having ARod at QB negates the need for good coaching

2.1%
  2. Yes. Hackett can still be good enough with ARod as his QB and with the right player personal adds

20.8%
  3. No. We'll be better but not good enough. Good coaching matters

31.3%
  4. Hell No. This is more worst run franchise in sports nonsense

45.8%
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree with the accountability issue 100%…it’s seriously unbelievable that with an inept offense that was bottom 3 in most important offensive statistics there are NO consequences is beyond me. In what company/job can you fuck up so badly and no changes are made? It’s unbelievable. Look around the NFL and there have been so many coaches who have proven to be WAY better than our crew get fired…guys who have delivered more results….and yet we are content to roll out the same OL coach, the same receivers coach, the same OC…it’s just kind of crazy.

If you accept mediocrity, you will get mediocrity. I hated the Hackett hire as much as I hated the Gase hire…two guys who were shown to be awful…two guys who were propped up by HOF QBs and once they didn’t have that, they showed their true colors…both terrible hires…I get we’re stuck with Hackett because of Rodgers, but the fact that no other changes are coming is a bit surreal.

They better hope Rodgers balls out all year because if we improve, it’s not gonna be due to coaching…

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Worst offensive coordinator in the league and an injured 40 year old QB

not ideal

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

You left off the last word.........................JUST WIN BABY!!!!!!!!!

5. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Now we got Breece taking indirect shots as Hackett on his twitter during this Lions game. Always a great this to see this kinda stuff out of your best offensive player.

We are so screwed for next year. Just gonna be L's and soap opera drama.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Lets not forget the rah rah bullshit coming from the Team Mascot/HC.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In FA the available LTs are Tyron Smith of Dallas (still playing at a very high level, but is 33 and oft-injured), Duane Brown, Cornelius Lucas (32.5), Donovan Smith (30.6), and Jonah Williams (26.2). Tyron Smith either missed 4 or 5 games with Dallas this season with injury. The numbers don't jive on his nfl.com stats page. Lucas appeared in 15 games for the Commanders, but only started 2. Donovan Smith started 10 games and appeared in 10 games for the Chiefs this season. I don't know when or how he played, but if he's any good, I can't see KC letting him walk. Jonah Williams (26.2) had a rebound season playing well at LT, but has mostly been playing RT and not very well.

In FA the RTs who are available are: Michael Onwenu (26), Andrus Peat (30.2) who also plays RG, Trenton Brown (30.8), James Hurst (32.1), George Fant (31.5), Jermaine Eluemunor (29.1), Kendall Lamm (31.6), David Quessenberry (33.4), and Charlie Heck (27.2). For some reason, Onwenu isn't listed at all as a FA on Spotrac, but I remember reading that he was going to be a FA and he has played both RG and RT at a pretty high level. Signing him would hurt the Patriots. He may have signed an extension with the Patriots, however, since he's not on the Spotrac list. He only played 3 games this past season. I don't know what his injury was. He's listed at 6'3", 350 lbs, so he's probably better at OG. Peat is listed as a RG on Spotrac on both the OG page and the OT page, and I'm pretty sure that he has played RT before, but he may be better at OG. Brown has played LT and was pretty darned good. I don't know if he still is. Hurst missed 2 games this past season with the Saints, but he played OG rather than RT. He is listed by Spotrac as a RT, however. Fant played in and started 10 games this season. I don't know if he was injured or just depth. Eluemunor started 13 games, but appeared in 16 games for the Raiders this past season. Lamm only started and appeared in 1 game for the Dolphins this past season. Quessenberry started 3 games, but appeared in 14 for the Vikings this past season. Heck started one game and appeared in 3 for the Texans. Spotrac lists Duane Brown as a UFA, yet on their contracts and cap table for the Jets they show him as still under contract and all of his money would be dead money. I know that I saw somewhere last week, that the Jets could save $3 million on the cap by cutting him post June 1.

There are a slew of OG FAs, a number of whom are better than Tomlinson. Among them are Graham Glasgow, Kevin Zeitler, Dalton Risner, and Connor Williams, all whom were cheaper than Tomlinson this past season. The Jets could save $8 million on the cap by designating Tomlinson a post June 1 cut. There would be $11 million in dead money. Again, something hinky is going on with the numbers, beause I looked the Jets cap and contract numbers up last week on Spotrac and it showed that the Jets could save $13 million by cutting Tomlinson, so I don't what gives.

ouchy likes this.
  8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I can feel a little smug as I was never in favour of the ZW pick (playing in an easy division especially during covid etc) but I agree it wasn't an insane pick based on all the noise - hell some "experts" were saying he was an even better prospect than Trevor Lawrence.

There really was no excuse for not taking Wirfs but with McDonald I think they knew they would lose Huff this offseason and to be fair they cannot have imagined that the FA WR that they brought it would be as abysmal as they were and so they likely didn't see it as a huge need.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

OK - I do though think it comes down to "we just need Rodgers to play well" and I don't think there is any other realistic hope/plan for 2024 - it's too late to sort the O-line (very little FA talent and not many rookie tackles come in and look great from the start) and go run first, its too late to fix the WR room as we have lots of expensive FAs already which we cannot cut. basically we are wholly reliant on Rodgers coming in and outperforming Wilson etc on essentially the same team or the season is screwed.

I was never in favour of the Rodgers trade, I always thought it was a stupid desperation move but it is what it is.

ouchy likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Tomilson contract was structured with prorated bonus's that go through 2027 and we still owe him over 8 million guaranteed. He also has a 400,000 dollar per game bonus this season that is not guaranteed. If we cut him before June 1st we can save 10 million and eat a little over 8 million dead cap, and if we cut him after June 1st we could save 8 million with 10.7 dead cap. If we don't cut him he gets the per game bonus's that increase his cap hit to nearly 19 million this season.

He still has some name value and might be useful to bundle in a trade with a needy team, like say the Zach trade. That might not save us much cap wise depending on how its structured but could notably increase the pick we get.

#70 ouchy, Feb 3, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2024