Bryce Huff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 2, 2023.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

But.. we have the future all-world edge guy in Will McD.

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Letting Vilma and Abraham leave the building was a mistake, but David Harris was burt toast.

However, if I recall, Harris spoken openly about how he found out Jets released him on TV via ESPN. He nor his agent ever got a call from the team. They did him dirty.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

You're right, my mistake. I mixed up Harris and who I meant was Demario Davis. Anyway you get the point.

Lon Chaney and Jets79 like this.
  4. Ptflea2

Jets let Demario leave TWICE!

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The dude took some of the worst angles I’ve ever seen his first couple years here. He was much better during that one year he came back in 2017 and then of course becomes a stud in New Orleans.

stinkyB likes this.
  6. Ptflea2

Very true. I recall one season he got housed two games in a row on wheel routes. I mean like the exact same play in back to back weeks. It was embarrassing.

abyzmul likes this.
  7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

if JD had any mojo, he would tag and trade. Get a 2nd, whatever.

We are in trouble though because JJ is too small for SSDE. Huff, JJ and WMCD is a logjam. He SHOULD move one of them in one way. There is no point in having 3 of the same position and premium picks or vlaue.

not sure if JD is savy enough to do anything.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Who is gonna trade for Franklin-Myers? He has 2 years $33 million+ left. He's not a $16 million player, the other team would laugh at a deal

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah but if the Jets would be logical once and add a true 2-down nose tackle rather than only finding 3T pass rushers, this would rectify itself. Instead they keep going out and finding Quinton Jefferson’s every offseason rather than investing in a nose tackle (Al Woods doesn’t count, the dude looks like he struggled to walk around).

Q, JJ and Huff are fine on the field with this addition.

cval and Mogriffjr like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They tried to get Fletcher Cox and Campbell last year - maybe they will get Cox or someone similar this time around. There are also two interior guys from the Browns who will be FAs.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

It doesn’t even need to be that flashy. They need a Sione Pouha or less than Pouha really. They just haven’t tried and keep the desire for situational pass rushers while ignoring nose tackle.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Only 29 mil left over two years: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/john-franklin-myers-25236/

Basically 14.5 per. I think there will be takers, this is a good price for a starting Edge.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It wouldn't bother me if they tag and trade Huff for a good o-lineman or wide receiver. Offense rules in this league.

15. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

It would be great if the Jets could keep Huff but with the salary cap issue and the fact that we are going to overpay for a free agent tackle like Smith than the pool available to resign Huff will be small. He is going to go to the highest bidder and unfortunately it won't be the Jets.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Probably true…however, I do have hope that JD can do something creative here…as teams always do, there are ways to create more cap space, and there are players I’d cut to make room before giving up on resigning Huff…or perhaps if we have to lose him, we can tag him and then trade him…or, without knowing the cap ramifications, would it make more sense to move on from JFM and use that money to keep Huff, as I think he’s more impactful than JFM has been…there are always options, but sure does seem like it’ll be tough to keep him and would require some machinations

Borat likes this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

What salary cap issue? The Jets will have enough money to sign Huff, a top FA WR, and some OL. The cap is a myth. Just keep kicking it down the line which is what this regime will do to save their job.

Borat likes this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

most teams have more cap space than the jets and everyone can kick the can down the road so its all about who can offer the most & how attractive a destination it is - the Jets likely struggle on both counts.

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

By doing a few restructures and cutting guys we could create 80 mil in cap space. What am I missing?

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah…the cap is a nice concept but teams always seem to find a way to make enough room when they have to…I don’t usually get too worked up about it…as long as NFL revenue keeps going up each year, it’s a valid strategy to make more room by kicking the can down the road when the overall cap will be larger and more easily able to absorb those hits.

The cap often seems like just a nice excuse for a team to lowball a player or use it as an excuse to not pay a player what they want…in the end, if a team REALLY wants a player, they find a way to make it work.

If they really wanted to make it a hard cap, they’d move to a CASH view … just allow teams to only pay out $XXX in cash each year…that’s harder to manipulate outside of signing contracts that promise future payments, but no one wants that…it would cut down on signing bonuses and other similar payouts….