2023 - Week 18: New York Jets at New England Patriots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2024.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2024.
  1. Jets

43.8%
  2. Patriots

56.3%
  1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If he manages to get a top 2 pick then can play the whole thing off as a deliberate tank job "sure I could have won a load of games but was doing what was best for the franchise" whereas if they end up picking around 5 or 6 then it just looks bad

2. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Both fan bases want the other team to win, which illustrates the pathetic nature of the situation.

Either way, I assume both fan bases also want to see an end to this season to end their misery.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this is the problem with the draft which rewards failure and where draft spot becomes so important - would be better if they just said that the 10 worst teams get assigned picks 1-10 randomly, and the next 10 get 11-20 then the next 10 get 21-30 then the two superbowl finalists go last = hell they could even televise the allocations and get even more revenue!

Patriot likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Can't wait till the Jets finish with the 11th worst record the first year of that policy.

REVISion likes this.
  5. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I’m picking the Jets here. 20-13 thank God it’s almost over.

Brook! likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I hope the Jets win but I'm not feeling it.

It's hard to envision Belichick losing this game if it is indeed his last game in New England.

Belichick will go to his grave owning the Jets & Steelers.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Personally I would absolutely HATE that … not a fan of the lottery bullshit

The draft is specifically set up this way to help create parity, or maybe in other words, to help create the opportunity to quickly improve. Then what you do with it is up to the talent of the GM and coaching staff…shit teams like ours continuously draft shitty players who don’t pan out. Better teams like the Ravens often find great players not picking at the top of the draft.

It is what it is

But to take away the opportunity to quickly improve by not giving the better picks to the worst teams I think is a stupid and terrible idea…plus then you’d be getting into the “is it rigged?” stuff, and for sure it would certainly create the impression of cheating around with the picks…and I’m pretty sure the NFL would be tempted to kind of let the best picks go to where they want them to go.

jixxjr, HomeoftheJets, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they should flip it completely and give the higher draft picks to the good teams. Then we’d never see any tanking

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This really isn’t that big of a deal to need drastic changes. They expanded the playoffs to make sure most teams have a chance at making it for most of the year.

There’s a couple weeks of the year at most where a handful of teams have fan bases that prefer they lose.

There’s only so much a franchise can do to lose anyways. This isn’t like basketball where it’s blatantly obvious when they do so. These guys will get seriously hurt if they were to tank like you can do in another sport.

10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

And if people think that the fix is in now with some of these games, just wait until the NFL has some role in actively choosing what spot a team picks in.

11. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Perhaps a lottery system like they do in the NBA would be good. The only problem with that system is teams with the worst record still get better odds on the numbered balls. But what you are proposing is actually better than what exists today.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

did you read what I wrote? this way you still have the worst teams getting "first dibs" it just removes an element of strategic tanking, if you are having a crap season and are in the bottom 5 then it isn't going to matter if you win your last game or not you're still going to be in the mix - as it is you have people looking at convoluted scenarios where you know a specific win or loss is going to drop you a specific number of places.

plus this would help the Jets as they are almost always terrible but never quite terrible enough so this way we might actually get the #1 pick when we need it

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I wonder if Kraft would give Belichick an ownership stake for throwing the season in a lame duck year?

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Patriots media saying this game will determine the future of the franchise:

A loss for the Patriots would ensure that they get a top-three pick in the 2024 NFL draft, while a win could knock them back down the draft board. For a team that desperately needs a quarterback, losing to the Jets on Sunday would actually benefit them most. Granted, the players on the field aren’t going to tank, and neither is Bill Belichick when this could potentially be his last game as a Patriot.

A win could potentially take the team out of the running for top-tier quarterback prospects, like Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. That could create a situation where the Patriots could either reach for a second-tier quarterback and hope he blossoms into a franchise talent. An opportunity to draft a top quarterback prospect doesn’t come around often. This is a situation that could potentially impact the team for years to come.
    ---

Not sure I've ever seen a game where both teams fear winning so much.

mezzavo and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The draft will work itself out, like it always does. It's not like Joe Douglas is going to make a good pick with whatever pick he gets anyway. We'll get another defensive lineman and that will be that.

Getting over the hump and beating Belichcik is what we need to do, not lay down and give the game to them. This franchise lays down for its opponents too much and it's clear this year that the team accepts laying down as a viable option, because they've done it enough this year with no repercussions. Enough is enough. These guys need to put their big boy pants on, go out there and actually look like a team that belongs on the same field as another professional football team.

16. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Hopefully the QB they pick will be as good as Zach Wilson.. Consensus here in NE according to local media media BB will be gone. The coach has a meeting on Monday with Robert Kraft. Should get a quick answer.

ouchy likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What is wrong with the current system? A lottery would be dumb as fuck in the NFL.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

At least it will be a snow game

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think the Jets fear winning. I just think they have no clue how to do it.

kevda5n9ne, Brook!, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the problem with the current system is you get teams just playing tactically and effectively trying to throw games in order to secure a particular draft spot - if there were an element of randomness about it (not a total free for all - the crapper teams should still get the higher picks (as per my example above)) but it might mean a few more competitive or close games if teams weren't thinking "OK I have to lose this game as this will secure me pick #2 whereas if I win I will be picking at #6"