How to fix the offensive line?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I made this post a while back in 2020 when we just signed Joe Douglas on. I was pretty optimistic about how quickly we would be able to fix the offensive line with a guy that seemingly had a background on it.

I also added earlier that the Rams replaced one tackle, two guards, and shifted one guard to center from 2022 to 2023. They all make less than $3-4 million AAV other than longtime right tackle Rob Havenstein.

This does somewhat oversimplify everything because there are more roster factors, coaching changes, etc. that I’m sure occurred on some of these teams.

But the fact remains that just because we have limited cap space at the moment and not a ton of draft picks, we should still be able to make meaningful revamped changes to the line.

So I’m going to throw out some names that might help us along and not cost a fortune. It’s tough to figure out if these guys are any good so don’t shoot the messenger if someone secretly knows they suck.

C/G Nick Harris, Browns (UFA) - has not won a starting job since drafted, but was a decent prospect coming out of college.
    T Josh Jones, Cardinals (UFA) - former third round pick that’s been a swing tackle and backup guard his whole career.
    T Oli Udoh, Vikings (UFA) - big guy and swing tackle in Minnesota where they have two pretty good ones.
    T Matt Nelson, Lions (UFA) - swing tackle in Detroit. They have two pretty good ones and he has a good pedigree coming from Iowa.
    T Jermaine Eluemunor, Raiders (UFA) - journeyman who is having a career year at 29 in Vegas.
    T Yosemite Nijman, Packers (UFA) - swing tackle in Green Bay. They traditionally produce good offensive lineman.
    G David Edwards, Bills (UFA) - three year starter for the Rams including the SB team
    G Elijah Wilkinson, Cardinals (UFA) - journeyman offensive lineman with a lot of starting experience

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No idea who any of these guys are, but banger post with the information.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Here's a thought... Our HC may have chosen the worst OLC in the business. I've read he's a goner bext year. The problem may have been this guy all along..

4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

he was terrible in tenn and got fired... yet this GC hires him and Hack-it! Worst combo I seen in years.

barfolomew and Borat like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m sure Keith Carter does in fact suck as a coach because Jets. But I think Saleh’s idea with Hackett was to build a stronger running game which is about the only thing he’s had success with in his career. Can’t take away from Carter that Tennessee certainly accomplished that.

The problem is likely an identity crisis. Carter ran man blocking with pulling guards and wash downs in Tennessee to my knowledge. Hackett used to run man blocking schemes with that egghead Doug Marrone and then probably tried to steal LaFleur’s inside zone shit from Green Bay.

And then in perfect Jets fashion we have mismatched coaches and styles.

6. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

It's a Jets specialty - hire the guy that crashed and burned in his previous position.

All the way back to the Kotite Error.

barfolomew and Jets79 like this.
  7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I read that too. We packaged the guy who ran the worst offense in the league last year with the guy who ran the worst offensive line in the league last year. I'm at a loss for words about the Jets this year, more than any year I can remember because the issues were so self inflicted.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

God this is SO true!!!

Why we rush to hire guys who were fired for sucking is beyond me…only thing I can say is Woody

The_Darksider likes this.
  9. The_Darksider

This part is so beyond frustrating. Mismatched coaches, styles, systems, objectives. They're never on the same page about anything.

Jedi mind tricks and NY Jets68 like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Leicester Jet, twown, mezzavo and 3 others like this.
  11. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Jets79, REVISion and ouchy like this.
  12. The_Darksider

ouchy likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I watched Detroit last week. Their OL opened up huge holes. They were pulling around and jacking up linebackers in the hole it was so bad ass

14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

How to fix the offensive line? First step: fire Joe Douglas. The O-line will never be fixed with him here. He's somehow made it worse than what he inherited from Maccagnan and Gase, which is actually a somewhat amazing achievement in and of itself.

Second step (a pipe dream, I know): Throw an insane amount of money at Bill Callahan. Make him the highest paid assistant coach in the league if you have to. Give him an Assistant/Associate Head Coach title. Hell, give him the brand new title of Vice President of Offensive Line Operations and make it his sole purpose to fix that part of the team. Do whatever you have to do to get him here.

15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Who exactly do you think is lining up to work for Woody? Or Hess for that matter?

16. The_Darksider

Sooooo.....we should scout the top of the draft for our coaching talent as a standard procedure?

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is music to my ears. The OLC is absolutely horrendous.

18. jets_fan

Which then gives Saleh the opportunity to hire the second worst OLC this offseason. Rinse, repeat, and the cycle continues on and on and on.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or may be, we should have someone else hire the O coaching staff since he doesn’t do shit with them.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. jets_fan

Might as well fire him them. If they have to do that for him, then that means he doesn't understand at least 1/3 of the job he's been hired to do.

LAJet likes this.