If you could only fire one of them, which one?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 2, 2024.

?

If you could only fire one of them, which one would you fire?

1. Joe Douglas

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. Nathaniel Hackett

31 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Robert Saleh

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Jeff Ulbrich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Assuming there are no ripple firings, its Hackett by a mile.

I'm not firing a GM if the replacement is being saddled with a coach he doesn't want.
    I'm not firing a head coach if the replacement is being saddled with coordinators he doesn't want
    Ulbrich > Hackett

Rodgers doesn't need Hackett to be successful.

JetFanInNE and The_Darksider like this.
  2. CTJet22

CTJet22 Active Member

The answer is Douglas. The coaching staff really doesn’t matter with Rodgers in place. I’d like to have a new GM that approaches the offseason with a long term vision. Douglas is trying to save his ass which is potentially dangerous.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If you can't fire Woody, don't fire any of them. As he has demonstrated again and again and again, he will find a way to hire someone worse.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jets should clean house top to bottom

but since the OP asked about just one- It has to be Hackett guys, he's just terrible. The other guys are underperforming for their level, ie. not HC or GM caliber. Hackett is not NFL caliber

REVISion likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd fire the top 3, except Aaron Rodgers is our GM, HC, and O coordinator, so the others are just zombies anyways.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Douglas. A new GM can get players who might be able to overcome Hackett's incompetence. But Douglas has had half a decade now to fix the O-line, which was supposed to be his area of expertise, and he's somehow made it worse than the one he inherited from Maccagnan and Gase. Bill Walsh couldn't run a successful offense with this O-line.

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Douglas
    For his complete failure to build a quality offensive line and his hands off approach while injuries piled up.

Like Nero fiddling while Rome burned Douglas twiddled his thumbs while the Jets season when up in flames.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Douglas because the new GM would fire the other guys anyway.

9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Hackett sucks, Saleh sucks - but NO question, the person who truly deserves a shit canning, first and foremost is the person that's constructed this completely flawed roster...

10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

This is a Rubik's Cube of a question. You can't fire Douglas and keep everyone else. You can't fire Saleh and keep all the coaches. The only one that you can let go without it cascading downwards is a coordinator

So, I have to pick what's best for the team if you're really only putting a gun to my head for literally only one guy: Hackett.

HomeoftheJets, ouchy and mezzavo like this.
  11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'm putting Hackett on the block with this one. Again, while JD hasn't found us a QB or a top 20 o-line, he has been able to at least bring in some talent regardless of how "easy" it was to pick Wilson, Gardner, Hall and Johnson. As well, the team needs a cheerleader which Saleh satisfies to a "T." Let's explain my thought process, shall we...

Since it's so fresh, let's use the Cleveland Browns as my example. However, there are a few teams that this explanation would apply.

Cleveland has nearly as many injuries on offense as the Jets do yet somehow they were able to find a way to win. To be honest, in some circles, there are those that would say they sustained even worse injuries than the Jets considering they lost not only their QB but their top back as well. I also believe the utter lack of any sustainable Jets offense wore the defense down over the course of the season. This is where my vote gives Saleh a "stay by a nose" which, in turn by extension saves Ulbrich as well. I firmly believe if we had Van Pelt (Cleveland O.C.) or some other competent O.C. on this team, along with a competent offensive coaching staff, the Jets are in the playoffs. I believe that, with the proper coaching, our o-line would have been 25 to 50% better, at least, and the QB position would have been handled professionally. Considering Hackett doesn't know what the fuck he's doing that position was left to JD/Saleh to manage and that's like telling a NASCAR driver to hop on a bicycle for the Tour De France. A COMPETENT O.C. has the Jets in a position to be the one team no one wants to see in the playoffs. As it stands, yet again, the damn Jets are the laughing stock of the league. They could have brought in ANY QB and not ruffled Rodgers feathers because it would have been a one year, patchwork thing.

These teams, at the top of the draft, are ALL rebuilding teams. ALL of them are in some state of mid to full rebuild. If you believed our front office the Jets were a QB away. Of course, we know they lied but, had we competent offensive coaching maybe it would have been a little "white lie" instead of a bald faced mis-truth. Just one man's opinion.

12. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

It is very easy to make a case that none of them are worth Jack shti. I am going with Saleh. There has not been one situation in his tenure during a game that you can say was handled like a good head coach. Not one time. Timeouts in the 3rd quarter, poor clock mgmt, stupid penalties - on and on.I hope we get blown out Sunday. This leads to the best pick we can get and hopefully JD parlays that into more picks. With that, Woody says enough of this and gives Harbaugh a call.

ouchy likes this.
  13. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but Joe's gotta go. He has magnificently failed at building the O-line. Hackett sucks, but he doesn't have a line.

14. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

After one Jet sits down on 911, the others stand down.

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas for me as few already stated above. He also failed to land a quality back up QB before and during the season until too late. Yeah none would have predicted that AR would be lost for the season in the first series but Boyer? And ZW backing up AR when you knew AR a 40 year old QB wasn’t to be able to play the entire 17 games? And yes lastly, as many stated the poor OL depth.

barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Crazy as it sounds, Rodgers (amongst all other things Jets) might actually be a good reason for a top tier GM to steer clear of this team.

Coming off an injury (and frankly, for just being who he is), with this OL and the impending cap situation, the Jets could be an even more shit destination than uaual.

The flip side is if someone top tier did come in and rebuilt that OL in an offseason then the team is an instant playoff contender.

barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Look, I am not defending Zach Wilson in any way. He positively stinks, but LOTS of GMs have stuck out with high profile QB Draft picks. To me, #2 is a far more egregious failure.

barfolomew and dawinner127 like this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Especially when you consider he's had half a decade to fix it. I posted this a while back, but this myth that you need to spend all top 50 picks on OL to fix it is bullshit.

ouchy and REVISion like this.
  19. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

An OL is a conglomeration of several positions. This gives a GM several options/avenues to address the line as a whole. You do not need to go solely through the draft.

barfolomew likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Who actually says that though? I always thought OL was a spot that you could find great value in later rounds. Maybe not blue chippers but having an OL full of blue chip players isn’t attainable (or more accurately attainable for long).

We need our new D’Brick and Mangold as anchors for the line. Build around them however which way you choose, just hire someone who can actually coach an offensive line.

mezzavo, ouchy and NY Jets68 like this.