We need a new OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Exactly!

I agree 1000%

I get injuries, but it’s been FOUR fucking years now. To have the worst OL in the league still is just mindboggling. The Browns were also missing a bunch of OL and they held up against our vaunted pass rush

I also fear Woody would get someone worse

Man this is my position exactly

Borat likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I still have glimmer of hope Woody will change his mind about the whole thing and clean house, but if not ... Keith Carter has now lead two worst pass blocking OLines in NFL for two years in a row for two different teams. Much like Hack, he has proven completely incompetent at his job back to back in different environments, hence reducing the element of bad luck being culprit. If not the full clean house at the very least we need to upgrade entire OLine, including the coach. That's the #1 issue, and then go from there. Though ideally full clean house.

mattyd99, LAJet, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  3. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Well, injuries do matter and no team has been as injured as the NYJ over the last two seasons. JD also drafted guys that hadn't significant injury history coming out of college. He signed free agents that had no significant injury history as well. NONE of it mattered. So when you say you don't want to hear injuries? JD put forth an excellent effort but he's been plagued by the worst King of injury swoon in recent recorded NFL history.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Lawson had torn both ACLs before we signed him. Kuntz had a ton of injuries in college. Same with Zach. Same with Hamsah. Becton was always an injury risk given his size. A bunch of other signings were injury risks due to their age.

Cman68, Borat, JetDan and 2 others like this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I can excuse this on an individual season basis. When this has been the narrative over a three year period, it's perfectly reasonable to start blaming the General Manager.

That even includes if the GM is named Brian Cashman.

mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

@Borat I have Saffold news for you!!

[​IMG]

Borat likes this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Except his free agent signings on the o-line suck and his most important drafted o-lineman (Becton) is worthless. He got Tippman and AVT: his only successes on o-line.

REVISion likes this.
  8. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

This made me laugh-Joe Douglas is just a disaster of a general manager.

9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Becton really is garbage. He should be cut today.

10. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical that the jets are the most injured team over the past 2 years.
    I haven't been able to find definitive stats for 2023 thus far, but several cites claim Cleveland has been much worse off this year, and stats from the 2022 season show that the Jets had one of the lower rates of games lost to injury in the NFL. I think that's why people are claiming "you can't blame the injuries"-- everyone is injured (and most actually more than the Jets).

And regarding JD and signing non-injured players, D. Brown was the oldest OT in the league when the Jets signed him 2 years ago, and was coming off an injury heading into last offseason. JD's "plan" for the two starting OT positions was that the oldest OT in the NFL coming off an injury, and Becton, who hadn't been healthy in the previous 2 seasons (and a below average tackle when he was healthy)-- were going to bookend the Jets line for a super bowl run.

That's a pretty shitty plan-- not just in hindsight (which is obvious)-- but on the merits of the probability that the plan had a chance of successfully giving the Jets an average to better offensive line.

More important than injury chance (which the Jets have not been particularly plagued by in comparison to other NFL teams) is roster building and JD has not shown that he's any good at that. Not at all. As Yoda said "there is no try".

#230 teamgreen, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While I have been a strong critic of our OL and JD in that area, I am shocked that not too many here at TGG even accept or recognize that along with JD misses, our OLC is absolutely atrocious and a key part of the problem. He is right down awful and no matter who we plug in they under perform, and his formations are simply disgusting against the run and the pass both. He along most of the OC positions should be waaay gone.

#231 LAJet, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is Rodger Saffold! He was just too good for us and will soon be claimed off the waivers and starting for a SB contender. But seriously, it's not like some of us here didn't point out this was Ryan Kalil 2.0 at the time of this signing. How do we trust JD to rebuild the whole OLine in one year when he is back to 2019 mistakes having learned nothing in his 5th season?

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He was signed to the browns yesterday lol. Unreal

mezzavo likes this.
  14. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Ooooof COURSE he was! LOL So, that's Saffold to the Browns and Cook to the Ravens. Wanna make a bet that BOTH outdo, in their brief stops in Clev and Balt, their ENTIRE season as Jets in one or two games with these two other teams? I'd bank money on it. Especially Cook.

Ralebird and teamgreen like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I completely agree. People bashing JD for the choice, but completely overlooking the incompetent OC staff that does nothing with any of them. Pathetic.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Staff that JD got though... I don't think most are overlooking this. Most of us who want change want ALL of them gone, both JD and coaches. At least I have not heard of any opinions that suggest firing JD, while at the same time keeping the coaching staff. It's more like clean house entirely at this point.

HomeoftheJets and Ralebird like this.