QB - Now/Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Nov 24, 2023.

1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

JJ McCarthy making some incredible throws today...

He's gonna go early round 1 when all said and done.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

So I was reading up more about this kid. Seen some comparisons to Wentz with how he moves in the pocket and is athletic enough to make it hurt, but he throws with enough anticipation to be someone like Purdy?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith or maybe Tannehill. Decent at everything, great at nothing.

It’ll be interesting to see what he does though. He still has eligibility left I believe if he graduate transfers. And he’d probably be a hot commodity/make more money as a graduate transfer on a NIL deal than a 3rd round pick in the NFL.

The QB market for the draft has really only become a two-guy race and even Maye hasn’t looked very good (granted in a trash offensive system with a trash coordinator). Penix has taken a huge step back the last month, Ward will go back to school. McCarthy just threw his first touchdown pass in almost a month, Ewers doesn’t throw for many yards.

The class went from strong to very weak as the season progressed. It is probably in the Jets best interest to punt on drafting a 1st round QB.

KY Jets Fan, mezzavo and dawinner127 like this.
  4. dawinner127

Those are two good comps. He's definitely someone I'm intrigued in. Appreciate you bringing him up. I am very very very out on R1 QB. OL/WR way more important and I don't trust Douglas/Saleh being the ones to make the right call on the QB, so yeah.

mezzavo likes this.
  5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This! If Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were coming out I would guaran-damn-tee you this regime would draft Ryan Leaf. It would the the Jetsiest thing to do. I have zero...let me say that again...ZERO confidence in this team's ability to draft the correct QB! On top of that, I also have 100% faith in the fact that they would DESTROY whomever they do draft. That we have proof of as well.

6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I also think they go QB in the first round. Rodgers isn't the long-term answer. He might not even be the short-term answer if he can't stay healthy. I realize they need to focus on the OL as well but finding a long-term solution at QB is a top priority.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We need a couple other pieces before get out QB or he will fail as badly as the last two.

Getting a stud at receiver and building up the line is essential before throwing a young QB to the wolves.

Rodgers is penciled in as the starter next year so investing yet another first rounder into a QB when we do not have a second rounder seems foolish.

8. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Grab Harrison jr.

KY Jets Fan and James Hasty like this.
  9. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

If they pick a QB of the future at some point have Rodgers scout for him. I think he can evaluate a QB prospect better than JD.

10. dawinner127

They won’t be high enough to get him.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We are not drafting a QB in Round 1 this year. The Jets need to be smart for once. Check out every free agent QB available (like they should've done last season, looking at you Joe Douglas) and sign one of these solid backup veterans asap.

This should be their first move in the offseason is securing a solid veteran QB in free agency.

Then comes the draft. The Jets need to draft O Lineman and Wide receivers, that needs to be their two main focus areas no questions asked.

We have 2 Generational WR talents coming out this year. Harrison and Odunze. The kid Odunze from Washington is a man child stud. What is his current draft position? If it wasn't top 10 before I'm sure it is by now as he's basically unstoppable.

If the Jets can grab Odunze, they need to make it happen asap and then draft nothing but OL in the next 3 rounds.

No QB's through the draft. The Jets have proven to fail at that time and time again. Sign one of the better veteran QB's via free agency and move on to building the Offense around him.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t see how Odunze isn’t the second receiver off the board. Even if he doesn’t run well at the combine he’s still a big physical specimen that reminds me of AJ Brown and he’s got such a fuck you I’m going to dominate mentality if you ever listen to his interviews.

He’s the perfect compliment to Garrett Wilson but we might literally not have a choice but take a tackle due to our limited cap space and no tackles on the roster next year except for that trash player Max Mitchell.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  13. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I love Odunze. Would be happy with him or Keon Coleman as our first round pick. I think there will be a run on OT's before the Jets pick so WR is the smart move, unless they are in love with one of the QB's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Not sure where we go, but watching this Giants game, Mac Jones may be worse than any QB currently on that Jets roster and that is absolutely incredible.

sackexchange likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That was a one QB draft…it was Lawrence and that’s it. Zach, Lance, Jones, they ALL suck balls. NONE of them should have been a first round pick.

We fucked up the tank

That being said, we NEED a QB badly, and if there is a good one when we pick, I don’t see how we pass up on him. Let him sit behind Rodgers for a year or two, and then use the rest of the draft on OL and WR. That’s it! Keep drafting them until we find good ones.

HomeoftheJets and sackexchange like this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Season isn't over yet.

Just wait and see.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Even if we lose out we're probably looking at the 4th or 5th pick. There's a good chance Harrison is gone by either of those. We also just loooove winning meaningless games at the end of seasons so I find it hard to believe we'll actually lose out.

18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Our ability to win meaningless games will seriously be tested by this offense this season. Usually we at least have an offense that, at times, could resemble a low-level NFL offense.

As a team, the Jets have scored 13 total TDs. And only 10 of those have been the offense, which means they're scoring 0.90 TDs per game on that side of the ball. Long story short, losing out is not only on the table, but it's also the most likely outcome for this season****

***unless, of course, Aaron Rodgers returns and isn't a complete shell of what he has been.

Borat, Jets79 and James Hasty like this.
  19. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I predict we finally break our losing streak to the Pats in the last game. They are truly terrible. We will vault them into the #1 pick and future franchise QB. We will knock ourselves down to 13-15 with all the good QB's, OT's and WR's off the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Like what if Rogers retires next year? We’re screwed again. You think Garrett Wilson wants to stick around for that?