The Official "Draft a QB in 2024" thread.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 6, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

so you idea to improve the team is to cut a all pro/pro bowl LBer who is the QB of the defense, Cutting the 1 o-lineman who's played consistently pretty well this year and hasn't gotten injured, and cutting the starting DE on one of the best lines in the NFL which is needed for our scheme to have lots of edges?

uzo makes sense to cut for sure but outside of him none of the others make sense. and we have to look at bringing back guys like huff, whitehead, and becton. and signing rookies. there really isn't any cap room for us

2. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

OL is the biggest need followed by WR2.

QB is fine if Aaron can stay upright.

So, I would not address QB early. A kid who I think is really good and I am hearing might slip into round 4 is Jordan Travis of FSU.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Hate to say it but we all know it will be Zach for one more year.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Totally agree that the OL needs to be fixed first and that there needs to be an emphasis upon continuity and cohesion for a change. I don’t agree with the idea that as we rebuild from scratch we’re okay with leaving AVT at tackle.
    It seems that NO good tackle in recent years has had a less than 33-inch arms. My guess is that AVT can strain to continue to do a good job at ORT but his 32-inch arms will always increase his injury risk.​

https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/4/21/22395856/can-you-be-an-above-average-offensive-tackle-in-the-nfl-with-short-arms

So our best bet I think is to draft an OT running mate for Becton, to play AVT and Tippman inside, and then to draft another inside player and/or bring back a Tomlinson or a McGovern as a stop gap.

#84 joelip, Nov 7, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I just named the four players over 30 years old who are making big money. I'd definitely cut Uzomah and Franklin-Myers. Tomlinson stinks, but at least he's on the field; unlike every other player on the offensive line, he's never hurt. I'm not sure what to do with him. Mosely is the toughest call. He single-handedly shuts down the running game. But he's only getting older and he makes a ton of money.

I'd probably cut the first two and see if the other two would take 50% pay cuts. I don't think they would, but they might. I wouldn't be heartbroken we cut all four. I look at it this way ... if we cut Mosely and Zach Wilson, it would have a net-zero effect on our salary cap - that's a win anyway you slice it getting out from under Zach's $11 million.

We're not going to resign Becton unless he takes Donovan Smith-style money ($2 million?).

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mosley needs to be considered to be cut. At some point we need to sacrifice a little bit of defense for offense. And as good as Mosley has been, we have another, younger, cheaper linebacker playing at an All-Pro level right now.

Good teams shuffle this money around correctly.

REVISion and Unhappyjetsfan like this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The way the team gravitates towards CJ's leadership, I don't know if the $ savings (vs his replacement) is worth it....

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Alternatives on quarterbacks might be to look for a 3rd rounder, sit them for year one and see what happens. If not, we can jump right back into the race to draft one next year.

Michael Pratt from Tulane is very intriguing. G5 quarterback but he went out and beat Big 12 champ Kansas State on the road and USC in the Cotton Bowl last year. He stayed at Tulane and helped resurrect the program. 4-year starter with a decent arm who can run.

I’d be shocked if he’s not a decent backup at worst. They should go to a New Years 6 bowl in back to back years after being 8-16 his first two years there. 20-3 since.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It’s always an option to consider, and with our fucking team, ALL options should be considered. But the list of franchise QBs drafted outside of the very top of the first round is not a long list. Brady, Kurt Warner are more outliers than actual possibilities.

This franchise has fucked up 5th overall in Sanchez, 3rd overall in Darnold, 2nd overall in Zach but we’ve also taken plenty of mid rounders none of whom was even remotely good…I remember the Clemmons, the Morgans, the Hacks, there have been quite a few mid rounders we’ve taken fliers on and they haven’t worked out even as bad as those high first rounders.

The chances of our finding a gem after the first round are super super low, to the point of really having to question if such picks wouldn’t be better spent on OL or WR at this point.

I just think that if we are serious about developing a young QB, we need an offensive HC and we need to be in the top 2 or 3 picks…and if Saleh isn’t going anywhere because he’s getting a mulligan for the Rodgers injury, then we just have to hope that IF we draft a QB in the first round, that the combo of sitting behind Rodgers for a year or two plus Hackett maybe being a better teacher than our other past OCs actually helps develop a young QB the right way.

Who knows…

There is still half a season to play here so many things can still happen … we may lose out, we may win some surprising games, Rodger may come back at some point, Woody may see losses and hear the fan/media noise and blow it all up again…so many things yet to happen between now and the end of the season…

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Well perhaps the Jets should take a different approach to drafting a QB. Maybe they should draft them, make them compete against a legitimate stop-gap, bench them to start the year if they aren’t blowing everyone’s balls off and take the development from there.

Rather than thanking god for the wonderful gift of drafting them in the first or second round, and telling them to go get them Tiger.

Hopefully we also look to get 3-year starters that played against top competition to try to figure out their mental processing power against good competition and pressure.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

thats not how any of it works. i'm glad you aren't the GM

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

After the season the offensive line will need to be rebuilt..... again... and it will be difficult with the salary constrictions.

Tackle is already a mess as is guard. I too don't see Becton coming back, Vera Tucker wont be ready for camp, maybe not week 1. Tomlinson, god have mercy, gets cut.

Then we need 2 new tackles and 2 new guards next season. What a terrible job Joe Douglas has done

Unhappyjetsfan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

We should be fine on the interior. tomlinson LG has played better this year and stays healthy. tippman at OC and AVT at RG. keep schwietzer as the backup and maybe even resign CMG for cheap depth.
    OT is the issue. becton and brown are FAs I doubt we bring back brown. that leaves the only OTs on contract as mitchell and warren. maybe 1 of them can step up and earn the job and play well but thats a maybe and we still need to add an OT or bring back becton. here are the top OTs available currently

Donovan Smith (KC)
    Tyron Smith (DAL)
    Jonah Williams (CIN)
    Isiah Wynn (MIA)

thats about it

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…will be interesting to see what we do with Becton…at least he’s stayed healthy which for him is a huge accomplishment. He’s not been great, but he hasn’t been dogshit either…so will be interesting to see if we resign him or not. Still plenty of football left to go this year but will be interesting.

We need to draft offense offense offense next draft…OL, WR, and if we can get a QB I’d do that too

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I doubt they will draft a QB.

The whole reason Aaron Rodgers is here is because the Packers hurt his feelings by drafting Love. I bet the Jets made a promise they wouldn’t do the same

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's a little different. The dude just won NFL mvp, and wanted more immediate impact players (WR) to help win games.... He's gonna be 40, but yes, if they draft a QB rd 1, I'm sure he will be bent.

And to be honest, if he's legit healthy and ready for 1 final curtain call, I'd prefer they draft a QB & WR as well ;)

18. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

As it stands now it has to be OL with two of the first four picks next year. The first round an absolute MUST. There looks like a decent amount of depth at the position in the draft, but then we don't have a 2nd.

We have a shocking record of drafting high-pick QB's and if we are expecting anything out of Rodgers next year then drafting a QB should be off the table. Trade for his understudy and ultimate replacement. I'm afraid that I have seen enough of Zach now, after backing him up to this week.

I wonder whether JD might sacrifice a high value defensive piece for draft capital. We are so in need offensively, I could see it happening. Particularly if anyone is Jamal Adams like disgruntled.

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

After all this buffoon fuckery, would you trust this sketchy Front Office to draft another QB? The only thing they seem to be capable of on the offensive side of the ball is assembling a historically inept travesty.

mezzavo and Cman68 like this.
  20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If Rodgers can stay healthy next year, then they are fine at QB, but they do have a long-term problem at QB. It's pretty obvious Wilson isn't the answer. I think they will draft one. It might not be in the first round, but they should draft one. Have them come in and hold a clipboard while they learn from watching Rodgers. Rodgers had to sit while watching Favre play so I could see the Jets doing the same thing here with the 2024 draft.