An awful, undisciplined coached team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

it's a brainless trope. Players don't fear coaches enough. They commit infractions because they don't get punished. Really now?

3. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Giants fans and radio pundits are now going ballistic claiming they should have deferred and kicked in OT to get the ball second instead of first. It just proves how utterly stupid these analysts are. It wouldn't have made any difference. Giants went 3 and out, Jets got a penalty on a deep pass that would have given them a score regardless of whether they got the ball first or second. Deferring in OT would have been insanely stupid.

4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I agree completely but understand the logic.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The mentality is they are both assuming a three and out. So if you defer in OT you probably get the ball around the 40 rather than the 20-25 by taking a kickoff.

It is always asinine to not take the ball though. If it doesn’t work it, it’s an all-time coaching blunder.

6. Jets OG fan

Yes, I get going with defense when they are playing so well. The problem is you have big time playmakers out there like Saquon Barkley & Breece Hall who have the potential to take any play to the house. The defenses have both been on the field for the majority of the game and likely a bit more susceptible to the big play.

Imagine the backlash if they deferred and it goes down the same way with a PI call, and the Jets convert the TD.

7. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

A lot of F bombs in my house after those, and I was by myself, well except for my dog. I think he thought I was losing my mind.

cval likes this.
  8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Knee injury -- it's been on their injury report for a couple of weeks. News today is that it will require surgery.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you get the ball first, you need a TD to win. Since the Giants had basically zero chance of scoring a TD starting from their own 25, they should have given us the ball. We probably wouldn't have scored a TD either, and they could have at least had a shot at a field goal drive to tie. And they would have known they had to go for it on fourth down instead of punting. Odds are we would have won either way, but Daboll crippled the Giants' win chances by electing to receive.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I think we will have a better view next week on how the players react to their coach. It is very rare you see coach going balistic in front of the camera but I am pretty sure Saleh is unhappy about the indiscipline of his players and said it himself in the press conference. Lot of things to fix, we will see if they fix them next week.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the
    logic is sound. I thought the same thing based on the game flow that the winning team should defer. nobody was scoring a TD on offense. the idea was to get in FG range for both teams. the team that takes the ball starts on their own 25, with a 3 and out (most likely scenerio) and even a good punt, the deferring team likely starts at the 30 or better. also a chance for a fumble or INT. this was a game won on D not O for both teams

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Jets OG fan

Disagree. You always take the ball first in OT unless it's for weather purposes. The team who scores first in OT wins like 75% of the time. If you play that scared, you deserve to lose. Let's say Jets win the toss, get the ball first and kick a FG aided by a PI call on their first drive. Now the Giants get the ball at their 25. They'd have to drive 40-50 yards just to get in bad weather range and I'm sorry, that's not happening against the Jets D. It would have been 4 and out, same result.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's not scared, it's playing to your strengths. both teams best units were the D while both teams O was pathetic. 99% of the time i'd agree just take the ball, but with the way that game was going, I think deferring was the best option for both teams

westiedog1 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Of course you have a high win probability if you score first, but you have a low win probability if you don't score first too. What matters is the overall win probability, which in an ordinary game is about 55% to 40% in favor of the team getting the ball first
    (with 5% ties). https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/08/sport/football-overtime-rules-college-vs-nfl/index.html But this wasn't an ordinary game, and the Giants having a guy at QB incapable of completing a forward pass meant that they should not have taken the ball first.