And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t know what other teams do but isn’t this kind of standard operating procedure for NFL teams during the bye week?

Borat and All Gas No Shake like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If you want to be the best you can be, you practice--a lot--ask Jerry Rice, MJ, and Michael Phelps. I'm sure there are guys on the NYJ who worked their ass off during the bye--would like to have a journalist investigate this as its an interesting story but that ain't happening.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think its put out there but I doubt Jerry Rice took a week off during the season--if there was even a bye back then.One doesn't have to make a big deal of it--but you wouldn't find Jerry Rice on that boat with the Giants receivers.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Well the boat trip was ridiculous. I think going back to your home state for a couple weeks is a little bit different.

And right or wrong, I think you have to adjust expectations of days off for the overall fragility increase in human beings since Jerry Rice played. They make so much money that I think there is fewer (even if not as many fewer as we think) that strive for greatness over wealth.

stinkyB and IDFjet like this.
  5. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Good for Zach. Smash and Reset

cval likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk what teams do but Saleh has been terrible after the bye week

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Well the point I’m getting at is that these guys get 3-4 days off over the course of 4-5 months while their bodies get beaten to shit. It might be universally accepted that you get a couple days off during the bye with all teams.

I could be completely wrong for what it’s worth but just a thought.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't blame him for his choices--its his life and he's a multi-millionaire, famous, etc. Great life and he'll get paid no matter what he does--I'm sure he's happy as can be.

My perspecitve is all about winning football games lol and he could have done more to increase that probability imo by watching film, getting guys like Brownlee to run patterns we're gameplanning etc.

Again I would like to gain data on backup QB's going into a sure start after the bye and what is their typical behavior during the bye? We're stuck with ZW regardless--I guess its just of academic interest to me.

I don't view the current visit to his family as adding anything to my opinion about him--if I heard he didn't go so that he could study film or work out with the fringe guys, that may have made a difference in my opinion for whatever that's worth.

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

My SIL, who doesn't know much about football nor does she care gave this assessment about Zach Wilson: "Sometimes I just have to ask, what is he doing? He's so stupid, I want to hurt him. He's just standing there throwing it to the wrong guy." Although she must be secretly dating Steve Serby on the side, I still laughed like Hell.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They all get time off. To think otherwise is ridiculous. The bye week is designed to give the players a rest and a much needed one at that.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

There are CBA limits on the amount that they can practice and I have to imagine it’s not a complete shut off from football for quarterbacks in particular.

I don’t think he’s the hardest working player in the league but I also don’t think he’s anywhere near the least hardest working either.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no thank you. have a nice day :)

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this presser, and see the growth, but those who think he sucks will continue to think that. They've invested so much time and energy into trying to convince everyone that Zach is a failure, they can't tolerate the idea that they might've been wrong. SMH.

burf, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Jeezus! You can't find enough fault with his game performances, you need to complain about his work ethic? FYI, he's been known as a "film rat"...early on Saleh saw him late at night at the Jets facility watching film and told him to go home. Maybe he's not logging those hours at this point, but his whole career he's been known as a hard worker.

And how do you know that he wasn't studying game film, etc. while on break? Even so, this is a guy who knows his career hangs in the balance of what he does right now, why would you leap to the assumption that he's half-assing it?

If Zach fails, it won't be for lack of effort. But if he fails, maybe the city will throw you and the rest of the Zach doubters a ticker tape parade to celebrate how smart you are.:rolleyes:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I came across this article in the Washington Post. You probably need a subscription, but they run ridiculous sales all the time, or maybe they'll let you read a few for free. I'll include the link to the article, but cut and paste some of the more interesting bits:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/28/nfl-quarterback-sacks/
    **************************************************************************************************************************
    "The most telling measure of a quarterback’s performance is sack rate, and it might be the most damning...

As analytics go, it’s as good a predictor as any of a player’s potential. And it’s not a particularly forgiving one, because it tends to put the lie to that idea: “If only he had more help on the offensive line.” A QB with great pre- and post-snap judgments can bail out the most collapsing unit. Proof? Eli Manning won a Super Bowl after the 2011 season behind a unit that Pro Football Focus ranked 31st in the league...sack rate ultimately reflects the personal actions of the quarterback: his reads, recognition, clarity, decisiveness.

The most interesting thing about the sack rate stat — and the reason it’s such a useful, if undervalued, scouting measure — is that the number travels. It follows a quarterback like a bad rear fender making a funny noise behind a car. Guys who get sacked a lot do it no matter who they play for, making offensive lines look instantly guilty.

Sack rate is a consistent tell, “not only when QBs change teams, but when teams change QBs,” says Jason Lisk, a data analyst and writer for the website Team Rankings. Example: In the space of a single offseason between 2017 and 2018, the Indianapolis Colts’ sack rate dropped from more than 10 percent to just 2.7 percent, best in the NFL. The main reason? Andrew Luck — who missed the 2017 season with a shoulder injury — returned to replace a young Jacoby Brissett...It’s no accident that the quarterback with the lowest sack rate in the modern era is Peyton Manning (3.1 percent, tied with Dan Marino), or that Patrick Mahomes (3.8), Drew Brees (3.8) and Tom Brady (4.5)

Mathematically, sacks are as bad, or in some cases worse, than turnovers. This is obviously counterintuitive to a young quarterback like Howell, with that tantalizingly pneumatic arm. He appears to think that holding the ball for something to develop, then eating it and taking the hit, for a sack rate of 13.5 percent, is better than a mistake or throwing it away...Since 2018, according to the website TruMedia, an NFL sack has cost a team about 1.7 points. One way to think of Howell’s six sacks last week against the Giants is that that he might as well have given up 10 points.

One of the best-ever explainers of how costly sacks are was David Cutcliffe. Now retired, Cutcliffe was the fellow who coached such unhesitating, flashing recognition into both the Mannings...He wanted such decisiveness from his quarterbacks that he got impatient if a guy even hesitated over a menu. He swears he used the “menu test” as a recruiting filter. If a kid paused and said, “What looks good to you?” Cutcliffe crossed him off the list...“If you’re not careful, what you end up doing is making a decision by indecision,” Cutcliffe said. “And that’s the worst one you make. Decision by indecision — you catch yourself flat footed while you’re waiting for an answer. Any time you hold the ball, you have already made a mistake, because the decision is going to be made for you. You’re going to be sacked or force a ball or quite likely turn it over.”"
    **************************************************************************************************************

As important as having a good OL is, having a QB who can make good, quick decisions is even more important. I don't think it's a coincidence that even though the Jets OL has been banged up and suffered key losses - again! - the last three games they've improved, while at the same time Zach has looked more decisive and comfortable.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with this, but we've all seen times where the OL is a sieve or one or two players on the OL are turnstiles, and the QB has no chance from the time the ball gets snapped. Yes, IF the QB has the permission to audible to a different play it can help, but not all QBs have that, especially when they're younger, and even if the QB switches to a run play, it can get blown up by the same blitz or same pass rusher that's coming in unimpeded by the turnstile, and the RB get thrown for a loss.

I'm a little surprised at Cutcliffe's comment about the menu. Perhaps that's one reason that he never got a great QB with which to work at Duke. As we've seen with Zach, QBs can improve their processing speed. I think it's very likely that Cutcliffe cut off his nose to spite his face with his menu test. I always wondered why he could never get a great QB during his years at Duke after having developed the Mannings. Now I think I understand why.

I'm also a little surprised that Brady's sack rate is as high as it is, but I guess that's due to the fact that he was basically a statue in the pocket. He could slide around a little but wasn't mobile.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Speaking of being wrong - honest question here. At what point will you admit he’s just not very good and there’s no excuse in the world? As in he doesn’t make it as a starting quarterback - will you still say it was coaching, offensive line play, weather, bad field position, mean fans and media, etc.?

Or will the conclusion be that he was dealt a bad hand and that’s why he didn’t succeed?

For what it’s worth, I don’t really know anyone that invests a lot of time an energy rooting for him to fail or saying he sucks. You make it so personal about the player and stupid when you say stuff like that. We’re just guys shooting the shit about our favorite team.

#1097 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 28, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    Ralebird, Dierking and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Honest answer. I'll admit he's not very good most likely after this season if he doesn't continue to improve. If what we've seen the past 3 or so weeks is his ceiling then, yeah, he's not good enough.

The fact is he was dealt a bad hand, with poor coaching, sub-mediocre OL and weapons, and being thrown into the fire Day 1. How you and others discount all of that is mindboggling.

As to "making it personal" - "...will you still say it was coaching, offensive line play, weather, bad field position, mean fans and media, etc.? Do you ever read what you write?

And "I don’t really know anyone that invests a lot of time an energy rooting for him to fail or saying he sucks." Look at all the threads and posts devoted to this topic. And even this thread, which was supposed to be focused on the positive things Zach is doing, it didn't take long for the Zach Haters to hijack it. Nor does it take them long to jump on any mistakes he makes. And most of the memes and embedded media posted about Zach are by those who love to bash him, whereas those who support him almost never invest that kind of energy on searching for the "perfect" slam.

Here's an honest question for you: Why does it bother you and others who don't like Zach (as a starting QB) if I and others still think he can turn things around? Isn't that really the best outcome? So why do you spend so much time trying to prove it's never going to happen? Worst case, you're right. But my rooting for him to succeed isn't going to influence the Jets in what they decide, so really, why do you care.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s not Zach haters. It’s just an honest analysis that he’s a bottom of the barrel quarterback and that really makes y’all upset.

What is personal about this? As to "making it personal" - "...will you still say it was coaching, offensive line play, weather, bad field position, mean fans and media, etc.? Do you ever read what you write?

You guys always find an excuse when he plays bad. There are hundred of thread pages that prove what I’m saying. So tell the truth - if he’s out of the league in 4 years without ever posting a top 15 QB season will it be because every other factor’s fault other than the fact that he’s simply not good?

Tua had four offensive coordinators in his first four years and an absolutely awful running game his first couple. He’s had multiple concussions in the same season and he’s been light years ahead of where Wilson was regardless of what point in his career you throw a dart at. A lot of these high drafted QB’s have a similar story.

But somehow LaFleur was too mean to him because he held him accountable so that’s why he’s sucked? It’s too funny at this point.

20. ColoradoContrails

If you're not going to be openminded enough to listen to the answer, don't ask the question. We're not going to agree in any way, so I'm not going to waste any more time trying to explain it to you.

But just consider this: I've often acknowledged that Zach might not succeed, have you done likewise regarding your belief he's a failure? If you have, I missed it. The things you post as "proof", aren't, they're simply measures of past performances of other QBs which are almost apples to oranges when you account for all the variables between their situations and experiences. Yes, you can draw some conclusions, but they're not proof.

And again, there's the snark: "But somehow LaFleur was too mean to him because he held him accountable so that’s why he’s sucked?" Whoever said that? No one. What I and others have said is that LaFleur was clueless in how to develop a young QB, and kept trying to force a "square peg into a round hole". That's not saying MLF was "mean", it's saying he was unqualified.

Anyway, all of this is lost on someone who simply doesn't want to understand it, so I'm done.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.