And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I watch other teams' games, and they don't ignore open receivers like Zach does.

IDFjet likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

maybe not you, but a lot of people here have made some ridiculous comments. a couple going so far as to say he's not even in the top 50 Qbs which is redicilous. they seem to think every other QB is automatic and zach shouldn't be in the NFL. it's an oddly skewed view.

that is the way to make stupid comments though. stats w/o context mean nothing. I just watched love make an awful throw in the red zone that shuold have been picked but took a lucky bounce and wound up a TD. he gets credit for a TD pass but it was a shit throw. the more you watch, the more you realize the "normal"stats that have been around forever don't mean that much. it's why we have "advanced stats" different QBR system from ESPN, PFF etc and they all have their issues too. I mean look at huff, he only has 2.5 sacks. so if we go by that then anyone with 3 or more is better then him right? but everyone here loves huff and sees his impact even if it doens't show up on the stat sheet. JJ forced 2 turnovers last week and got 0 credit in the stat sheet for it. 1 play where he hit the Qbs arm which led to a hall INT and another where he knocked away the ball from a receiver and Q got the INT on it. yet 0 sacks so he sucks right? It's why the stats argument is ridiculous at times. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you know, give an opinion on what you SEE not what a stat page says.

again though, what in your opinion makes him a "backup" as far as how he looks? the reality is there are 32 teams. if he's outplaying those QBs he looks like a starter. he's probably outplaying 5-10 QBs currently over the past 3 weeks. to look like a backup he'd have to look worse then all of them plus worse then some backups. the last 2 years i'd agree with you. he didn't look like a starter. he bailed from the pocket early, ran backwards 10 yards, tried to hero ball every play, threw passes right at LBers too often, dirted easy balls on short throws, and the list goes on. the past 3 weeks though he loks like a QB. he's standing in the pocket, taking what the D gives him, getting rid of the ball fast, not turning the ball over really (BTW week 6 zach was the only QB in the NFL with 0 turnover worthy plays, and he did that in a game against a top 5 team with a top 5 QB who we forced into 4 turnovers and thats why we won). zach outplayed mahomes (refs fucked us), wilson (we won), Allen (we won), and hurts (we won) all top QBs (except wilson) in head to head matchups. he's also faced a gauntlet other QBs haven't faced. the eagles, chiefs, bills, and cowboys all have top 10 defenses. we faced both superbowl teams from last year, plus 2 other 12 win teams. that kind of stuff matters. thats why these top QBs have looked not great against us, because our D is so good. imagine if hurts or allen or mahomes had to play us 4 out of 6 games. their stats would suck.

the reality of zach currently is some here still view him as the #2 overall pick and savoir. but he isn't. he is a backup QB who was thrust into duty due to an injury to an all pro HOF QB we had starting and has played better then some starters in the NFL and really what more can you ask for out of a backup? He'll never live up to #2OA, we all know that, but thats no longer the expectation or his role. he's rodgers backup in 2024 and 2025 and then we'll see from there and he should be judged accordingly. not to mention we are 3-3 on a 2 win streak and heading into a game against a weak team. we are in the playoff hunt tied for the 8th spot and 1 game out of 7th for a playoff spot. we should appreciate that and enjoy the moment and not shit on the backup who came in and won those 3 games. if zach was say bagent who was an UDFA rookie and played like he is now, people would likely praise him. too many fans seem to fail to see the relativity of things.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

they 100% do. Seen hurts do it several times yesterday and tua. seen tons of them during the week without even the all 22s. herbet missed a ton of WRs with their hands up wide open in the chiefs game too and the week before. probably outside of mahomes i see every QB do it every game on a pretty regular basis. only a few Qbs rarely did it like brees and peyton and mahomes and rodgers, and brady. the rest of the league even the top guys now do all the time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In general, this is an excellent post and I agree with all except the bolded statement. IMO that's a ridiculous statement to make. He could easily live up to being the 2nd pick in the draft in the coming years. We all don't know that he could never live up to being the #2 pick in the draft, so it's inaccurate as well as ridiculous. You don't know what the Jets' expectation is of him or what role they see him playing, either. You can only speak for yourself. Zach was the #2 pick in the draft, and nothing will change that. I don't think that anyone here still views him as the "savior." I'm one of his biggest fans and supporters here, and I don't view him as the "savior." I never really did. I thought he had a ton of potential and could quite possibly become a top 3-5 QB in the NFL (and I still do), but I don't see him as the savior, yet his improving and getting better HAS helped save this season. The team no longer needs a "savior." There is a lot of talent on the team now. We have a great D and some weapons around Zach. The OL needs to be improved and our WR corps could stand some upgrading, but I believe if Zach continues to improve and Hackett opens up the offense at some point, Zach will show that he is plenty good enough for the Jets to win with him as the starter, even if he only becomes a top 10-15 QB rather than a top 3-5 QB.

#1024 NCJetsfan, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
    Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's usually the quickest way to the bench

6. BrowningNagle

no you don't

theres no way you have time in your day to watch the Jets and every other team and post day and night on here

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

8. GasedAndConfused

he has room for improvement but when you draft a QB in the top 3 you expect them to be a top 10 QB one day, I just don't see that with zach. He could become an average QB but usually the special ones that become elite shine pretty early. I can't think of any case where a QB was awful for 2 years then became a top 5 QB.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

I don't post day and night here lol. I can watch 4-5 games at a time on sundays and red zone. when they jets aren't on i'll do a 4 game split screen one 1 TV and red zone on another. plus the jets game and red zone, plus SNF, MNF, TNF. so live easily can watch 8 games a week with no issues. then there are the condensed replays where you can watch a whole game in 30-40mins for whatever games I didn't' watch live or want to rewatch. notice how i'm never here on sunday? i'm too busy watching football lol

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's saying that other QBs don't miss receivers, just that Zach does more often.

11. BrowningNagle

cool. No I didn't notice

12. GasedAndConfused

based on what? you have the stats? have you counted everyone and every other Qbs and can give us percentage? or is it' just a subjective observation considering you watch zach way more then any other QB and therefore can nitpick it more?
    I mean everyone complained he was inaccurate and missing throws and the chart I posted earlier showed he's actually above average in being on target on throws.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

yeah i'm not around on weekends and alot of time when I post it's from work. I don't really watch TV or anything so pretty much when i'm home I always have football on no matter what i'm doing. with YTTV and sunday ticket you can use the YT app and watch truncated versions of games. easy to watch 5 games during the week in less time then watching 1 game on sunday that way. I have friends who are giants fans, seahawks fans, steelers fans, cowboys fans, chargers fans, niners fans. lots of times we watch the games together. So I wind up seeing most of the live while talking with their fans and then pick up the rest later during the week.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Do you have the stats or percentages? Or just using your eyes like the rest of us? But your eyes are better, right? Because you watch more football, right? And that's totally not just an assumption, right?

Zach has had an issue with missing open receivers for his entire NFL career. This year, he's more accurate when he does throw and has cut back on the interceptions, but still seems to miss open guys intermediate-deep quite often.

The proof is in the pudding. The Jets are 28th in the NFL in yards per pass attempt. Do you think that would be remotely possible if Zach wasn't missing open receivers more often than most? There may be some contributing factors out of Zach's control, but 28th is 28th, and would still likely be bad even taking those factors into account.

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Same shit diff day lol, but its missing receivers and beyond that--he never even looks at other receivers at least some of the time. Don't know how much the avg QB does this but it can't be very high--we have data posted here recently showing the reality of this--a lot of us watch a lot of football and maybe we see this behavior regularly by first year qb's--never in a 3rd year unless he's an emergency qb. We're the lucky ones.

16. GasedAndConfused

You are the one making the claim. I already explained how many games I watch a week. you are claiming zach misses more open WRs then other QBs so where is the proof? to be fair to your point, i guess we can say maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but either way there is no proof so maybe you just need a new argument to hate on him?

being 28th in yards per attempt is meaningless. again it's a stat that has so many variables. coaching, completion %, play calling, offensive scheme, o-line, YAC, etc.
    the reality is the coaches are playing safe with zach. we did the same with sanchez. remember the green/yellow/red system rex made for sanchez to limit mistakes? zach is playing safe and taking what the D gives him which leads to less intermediate passes and less turnovers. The coaching staff wants to win on D and just wants the offense to not turn it over and to take points when they can and not be aggressive and its working since we won 2 in a row.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Thanks for sharing this!

18. NCJetsfan

It's fine that you don't see that with Zach, but I do. You could be right and I could be wrong, or I could be right and you could be wrong. Only time will tell.

Yes, usually the special ones that become elite shine pretty early, but not everything happens in the same way or timing. I can think of one QB who was pretty bad for 2 years then became a top 5 QB and that was Steve Young. Peyton Manning was awful for one year. There are always exceptions to every "rule." I know the odds are against Zach developing to that level, but his talent has never been the question. It's been his understanding of and mastery of this offense, and becoming fully confident in it. IMO we are starting to see that understanding and the growth of his confidence in this offense and what he is doing in it. I think once he fully understands this offense, and gains mastery, his talent will be then free to function as it should. It may not happen, but I will believe that it will happen unless or until it doesn't happen.

19. GasedAndConfused

as far as zach, I hope i'm wrong, i loved him out of the draft but I just don't see it. the elite QBs are the mentalists. he has the physical skills but doesn't have the mental game down.

for QBs looking awful their 1st 2 years then being elite, I would say modern era only. the game was way different in youngs time. i'd say from 2000 and forward.
    I also wouldn't say peyton manning was bad as a rookie. he was really good he just had to adjust to the speed of the NFL but he looked every bit like a stud who just make some rookie mistakes. he threw alot of picks but also had a lot of TDs. IIRC the rookie record. he was reading defenses, using the pocket etc. Eli looked bad as a rookie, was a real deer in the headlights. he was never elite, but he was solid and dependable and won 2 Sbs. he'd be a better example. still if zach reached the "eli" level I'd be happy but thats still not elite.

20. NCJetsfan

Zach is developing the mental part of the game. Again, that comes with knowledge/understanding, good coaching, and practice/experience. He is already showing that with making audibles, drawing defenders offsides with his snap count cadence, and in other ways. He is still a work in process. Once he learns/masters the WCO, imo he will have the mental game down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.