And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought that day was today... at least he got Zuerlin in position to put up enough points to make the game winnable.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think Hackett has been told by Saleh to keep it conservative and let "his" defense win the game. It's worked up to a point, but it's holding Zach and the offense back. They have it in them to do much better, but the play calling is keeping that from happening.

Yes, Zach still makes mistakes - as do the guys around him - and you can't blame Hackett for that, but it's so obvious that when they play aggressively and fast, Zach the offense do much better. I really hope they start to realize this because there's going to come a time when they'll need the offense to carry the defense.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope that it is Saleh and not Hackett, and think that you're probably right. That's why I said how is Zach supposed to figure out how to take over a game when Saleh (or Hackett) aren't allowing for that. They're playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. You're right that that they need the offense and Zach to develop, and he's (Saleh) holding them back, and that's what could finally undermine and derail whatever success they start having this season. Hopefully, Saleh will get hit in the head with a football and it will knock some sense into him.

#743 NCJetsfan, Oct 15, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Well first of all, we don't know what plays Hackett is calling, or how much latitude Zach has to change them. I'm not excusing Hackett entirely, because it's obvious that he's playing things conservatively. Even so, there are plays out there to be made that Zach isn't quite hitting on. Take the long throw down the left sideline for Conklin today...if he throws that ball a tick earlier Conklin likely catches it with enough room to come down in bounds. Was it a horrible throw? No, by some measures it was pretty good, but it was still just another incompletion.

On balance I agree with you, but if he's ever going to become a FQB, he needs to figure it out despite the obstacles in his path.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You have to play call it conservatively with the way our defense is playing against opposing QBs. It's not the time to go air raid with young QB still trying to figure it out.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I give Zach credit; since the Patriots game, he's played like a good backup QB. He's not the future, but he's not doing worse than a free agent signing would have done. Hopefully he can keep it up because given our defense and upcoming schedule, we have a shot at the playoffs, and maybe Rodgers will even be back by then.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Right now, he may just be listening and doing what Hackett and Saleh say, thinking he needs to build a solid foundation and earn their trust, figuring that they'll eventually open things up and then he'll have his chance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I'm not saying they should "go air raid" with him. I'm saying that it's clear he does better when they play more aggressively and with less predictability. They still play conservatively, and do those other things as well.

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Zack didn't play well today. He made enough plays to win the game. I'll never doubt the kids determination, he just needs to get better.

KY Jets Fan and Acad23 like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Careful there. We might have to make you an honorary member of the Zach Supporters Club.:p

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We had 37 designed drop backs including Wilson’s 4 scramble runs and 17 designed runs. What are you two clowns jerking each other off about calling this game plan conservative? We threw the ball a fuck-ton for what was pretty much exclusively a one score game.

Constantly trying to find an excuse for why this wasn’t a plus performance by the QB.

Jets69 and BrowningNagle like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Knock it off with the name calling chief. Disagree if you want, but insults don't prove your point.

It's not only how many passes they attempted, it's the type of passes and when they attempted them.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They more than doubled the amount of runs called versus passes! It’s absolutely wild at this point. The type of passes they attempted?

What in the holy flying hell does that mean? Your expectations over the perfect situation for ya boy is unrealistic and completely detached from reality.

JackBower and Jets69 like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah it’s crazy. I thought they were gonna blow it by throwing too much actually

Down 14-12 Bryce hall intercepts it in the 4th quarter and they went 3 and out with 3 straight passing plays

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

A lot of missed opportunities but he didn't blow it so I'll take it without too much complaint. If he makes it to solid serviceable and Hackett spawn comes up with a plan other than exit stage left every week, the season can be saved. I'm probably tripping on Jimson Weed, but there it is.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Zach hasn't been winning us games but he's no longer losing them either. His first two years, he actively caused us to lose most games because of interceptions and missed passes. He's cut those two things out almost entirely this year.

If he can rise another level and actually start contributing to wins, a big if, we'll be in business.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Will have to see for the entire season, but he looks like he has grown in the head. His career completion % is sub-60% for now, but he has that one turned around this season (1). He also had a few clean games the past few weeks (2). and he had a rather sizable improvement in 3rd down attempts. (50.7 % -> 61.4%) Next target is surely finishing the drive in the endzone, but that will come in due time. (Or so I hope.)

From where he was even [last season], his development thus far is undeniable. The hope is, he grows up to be the QB we wanted him to be. (That remains to be seen.) What's the matter here? I see the kid grow, and I am a happy man. If Zach looks like a bust (that he is not) remember Sanchez days for crying out loud.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I feel as well…he was causing us to lose games but now at least in the last 3 he really hasn’t been that…he’s not the reason we’re winning…that’s been all D and Breece…but it’s a step up for him

He was literally the worst rated QB last couple years…now I think he’s kind of the bottom 10 grouping…somewhere in there…the main things to me are he’s not yipping those gimme passes like he used to, and he’s taking more of the checkdowns and at least making them, so his completion rate has been much better. He’s improving. Signs of life.

If he can see the field better and get the ball into the end zone we’ll be in games…but FG’s and relying on the D getting a bunch of turnovers is going to be rough…at some point, our O is going to have to score some TDs

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's cut out turnovers to the point that in 5 of his 6 starts, he has a total of 2 interceptions. And he's finally gotten his completion percentage over 60% (which to be clear isn't good in today's NFL but isn't as bad as it was the last two years). But he's also not doing anything to help the team either. The Jets won the last two games, but he had zero touchdown passes in them and threw for under 200 yards in both. Sure, the playcalling has been conservative (and for good reason--the defense is good enough to singlehandedly win games if the QB doesn't melt down), but he's had numerous chances for big plays and TD passes and keeps missing them because his field vision is awful. And if we don't make the playoffs this year given how good the defense is and how many open receivers he doesn't see, it's on him.

20. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Back-up stats from yesterday;

Jones 24/33 200yds 0TD 1INT 24.3 QBR
    Walker 18/34 192yds 0TD 2INT 24.1 QBR
    Minshew 33/55 329yds 1TD 3INT 22.8 QBR
    Dobbs 21/41 235yds 0TD 1INT 16.5 QBR
    Zach 19/33 186yds 0TD 0INT 39.5 QBR

Mac Jones had pretty passing figures but his turnover led to 3 points and then he took a safety to add another 2 points in a 4 point loss. Zach went error free and therefore didn't lose us a tight game & could you really want anything different from a back-up QB?

As to whether Zach will be allowed to fly (and risk crashing) - I think he needs to hit on those throws like the sideline one to Conklin for Saleh & Hackett to be comfortable thinking that Zach's feeling it and for them to view their more complex plays as having a higher chance at success.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.