And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What? McGovern, Lazard, Jefferson, Reed and Whitehead are all unrestricted free agent signings. If I was including those in my Cowboys/49ers/Bills numbers it would’ve been much higher. I strictly included draft picks 3rd and beyond by the franchise by them. I don’t feel like recalculating if you want to include UFA signings.

As far as Lynch, he did trade those picks for Lance but JD’s the GM that didn’t trade his pick FOR those picks so he gets a black mark that evens out.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If he did this against a normal defense, I would agree with you. But the Broncos defense is so bad that this was an unacceptable performance, and we're likely to pay the price once we have to face a normal defense and Zach doesn't have a fluky good game like he did against the Chiefs.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Yards per attempt is a nonsense stat for what’s it’s worth. Yard per completion can be quantified. Yards per attempt is silly though. But if we’re playing that game, Tua threw for 308 on 30 attempts today. The Colts two QBs threw for 253 on 26 total attempts. Goff - 236 on 28 attempts.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

If you read my posts on the game thread, you'd know that I was watching the game. And what I care about is the Jets succeeding. Zach succeeding is great because if he succeeds, the Jets succeed. But I'm going to call his play like I see it, and I'm not going to put him over the rest of the team. And he's not playing better. Whether you want to go by statistics or the eye test, he's playing exactly like he did last year. One very good game, two backup-caliber games, and two practice squad-caliber games.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Did you feel that Zach Wilson was a + asset on the field for the Jets efforts today?

Or was he maybe the best the Jets could put out there, tried his best, and maybe even is "improving" but at the end of the day is holding the Jets back dramatically from what a "league average NFL starter" would be producing?

My eyes are telling me its clearly the latter.

God bless the kid. I think he's improving some, and I give him a ton of credit for not folding up under the criticism/pressure and performing respectably against the Chiefs. But overall? The harsh truth is he's just not that good.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

What? We’ve literally been ushered into the era of quarterbacks doing that because of the rule changes. What do you mean gone are the days of that?

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You make NO point. Is 7.7 YPA good or not?

8. HomeoftheJets

I expected Zach to hit Garrett Wilson on the touchdown, not throw the interception, and throw the ball away at the end of the first half. If he had done those things, then I wouldn't be justified in criticizing him while endorsing Hackett's gameplan. But that's not what happened.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I make no point? What the fuck can we quantify out of an attempt that’s incomplete? Does it tell us how far he threw the ball?

It’s like trying to tell me that a pitcher who gave up 6 runs in 6 innings had a good day because he threw a lot of strikes.

Jets69 likes this.
  10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Well, 300 and 4 touchdowns is a little excessive, but 250 and 3 touchdowns is not. Scrub quarterbacks throw for 4,000 yards these days.

The only guys who ever did 300/4 with any regularity were the superstars who are first ballot Hall of Famers. No one's expecting him to ever make a Pro Bowl - much less on the HOF. So we don't need him to do 300/4. 225/2 would be huge, and on a day like today, 225/1 would have put the game away much sooner.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Desmond Ridder went 28/37 for 329 yards and two total touchdowns today in a home comeback win. I doubt they’re anointing him in Atlanta.

12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

All your points are extremely valid, forget it when it comes to Zachs fan boys

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ridder played well, he's decent out there

Wilson wasnt atrocious but even in a win you feel uneasy about his performance.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The kid made some mistakes yet you discount all the good he has done. He would not have completed 70% of passes last season in a game like this. He would not have put us in the red zone multiple times. He would not have made that drive at the end of the half.

He played a tough game on the road made one real mistake. He was sloppy at times as well as the entire offense making drive killing penalties.

Stop moving the goal posts to prove a point. Zach is growing Zach is not an all pro. He has proved he can move the ball when asked. This was another step.

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Literally one QB last season averaged greater than 300 yards per game. Same in 2021. Yet somehow after watching Manning and Brady and Brees, Rivers, etc, seemingly doing it every week, that's what we expect.

Rodgers is a clear all time great. He only averages 256 passing yards per game.

I'm not saying this was a once in a lifetime game. Just that this was a solid game in accomplishing what what we need.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The answer is YES. 7.7 YPA is good.
    The analogy you made is absurd. A much better baseball analogy would be you telling me a batter only hit 10 Home Runs all year so he sucks … and then me pointing out that he only had 100 ABs so he’s averaging a HR every 10 attempts … which is phenomenal.

YPA is what the NFL uses to evaluate effective passing games.
    You might not like the stat but it tells a lot. If your QB goes through an entire season averaging 7.7 YPA he’s playing well.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Look…is he improved from the utter total shit worst in the league he was before? Sure. To me, the biggest difference is that he’s hitting more of the gimme layup throws that he so often missed his first two years. We’re seeing less of the wild throws that are in the dirt or 5 feet over receivers’ heads. So sure, progress. And that’s reflected in his completion rate which was good today. Some of it is because we are giving him more dumpoffs and layups but hey, at least he’s hitting them.

but come on…watching the game, I was more often frustrated at him than not today. He totally missed GW on that potential TD by throwing it a bit high and behind GW…if he lays it out and leads him that’s a TD. He also totally boffed the end of the first half…may be that he’s being coached hard to take the easy throw when it’s there, and that’s good, but he needs to understand the game situation. It was like that dumpoff on 4th and long last week. Bad decision.

I do think part of it is the playcalling, but that’s because the coaches don’t trust him, and again with the pick today, he proved them right.

We beat Buffalo on a freak punt return, we beat a bad Denver team on the back of a great day from Hall and a good day from the D which came through in the end. That won’t always be the case.

To me, while the stats are what they are, just watching our offense is painful…we can’t sustain drives worth a damn, and when we get in close, we can’t punch in TDs … that’s not a long term winning strategy…

So sure, is he getting better than he’s been? I think he is. Is he good enough? No, not by a long shot

SackRecord99, Pepsiguy5 and Ralebird like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Obviously we aren’t going to see 300 yards every week out of a single game. But we just watched Desmond Ridder throw for 300. You made your marker very high at 300 yard and 4 TDs to make it indisputable.

We are watching the most prolific era of passing in the NFL in history. And also one of the worst passers on our team in the league. That can’t be disputed either.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Since when is YPA the marker that the “NFL” uses to evaluate effective passing games? Very silly statement to say one simple stat is a metric used to evaluate efficiency.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The All-22 will tell the tale of how many yards were left on the field... ;)

stinkyB and cval like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.