And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They need to keep him in the 2 minute drill until his brain stops turning to mush at 2 seconds. He looked great at the end of the half before the... well you know.

Jets81, stinkyB, NY Jets68 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why are they an outlier? It doesn’t really matter how we get there to me. But both of the teams we’re watching are light years ahead of us.

The Bills had 7/22 starters drafted in 3 and beyond.

These are the teams we should aspire to be and we’re nowhere near them in drafting.

And the whole Lynch thing got exploited in the other thread. His teams are dominant when his training camp quarterback doesn’t have a leg snapped in half.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was the ADD dude.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Zach continues to show improvement, but he also still makes some dumb decisions. Holding onto the ball too long in the beginning of the game instead of just tossing it away; throwing a completion to the outside instead of throwing it away cost them 3 points and could've cost the game. Just dumb situational awareness. OTOH, he made some big time throws and made good use of his legs at key times. I guess all of this is just part of the learning curve. Although he's only played less than 2 full seasons, it's hard to excuse these kinds of mental errors. He got bailed out by Breece and the defense for sure.

And it didn't help that Hackett comes out and has them run the ball on first down to start the game. Why not throw the ball on 1st down? And where were the designed roll outs and play actions - there were precious few. How can an experienced OC not notice that his QB does better when he's on the move? I won't fault Hackett for relying on the running game when Breece had a great day, and Cook seemed to be finding his legs a bit, as well as the OL suffering two huge losses, but I wish Hackett would show more creativity with Zach and use what he's good at rather than trying to make him play from the pocket so much.

On balance, a C- for Zach, but he needs to start racking up some "B"s or at least a "B-" or two, it not finally have that "A" game we've been waiting for.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Did his pill kick in at the 5 second mark?

6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Fully agree with all of this. One question: what grade would you give Hackett for his playcalling in this game?

7. HackettSuxTNG

Please, don’t say “kick”. The field goal unit might show up.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"C-".

Good enough to not outright lose, but not good enough to win without a great game by Breece and the "D".

I really don't know what his thinking is with these game plans and the types of plays he's giving Zach. We can all see that when Zach is on the move he's a FAR better passer. And when he runs a sort of "hurry up" offense he does much better too - he has less time to think and he just executes. So why does Hackett insist on keeping him in the pocket, running the play clock down to the end, etc.? IDK. I have to believe he has his reasons, but I don't get it.

Of course it's hard to fault him for going run heavy when the running game was working so well, but even at that, can't he show more creativity with the passing attack and getting Zach to move?

If they had lost, I would've given Hackett a "D" or maybe an "F", but with the win he gets some grace.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

It's also somewhat hilarious that in response to me pointing out that JD hasn't found any excellent players outside of the top 2 rounds that you end up comparing our #4 pick CB to a #154 pick CB.

I don't expect him to be peak-Revis or peak-Gilmore but I would hope and expect him to be paired against the likes of Diggs & Hill so we at least force teams to beat us on the strength and ability of Gabe Davis & Waddle.

As for those lower round picks we have that are still on the roster - I'm not saying they are trash. They are in fact capable NFL players that may even have a flash play from time to time but it's all pretty much filler and no killer and this is why we were not really a contender even before Rodgers went down.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

a touchdown woulda been nice

11. HackettSuxTNG

Not sure if those are legal unless the defense scores them.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Douglas and Saleh will have Zach backup Rodgers in 2024 again. No one will never convince either that Zach stinks.

13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. I guess its chicken or egg but when your QB is untrustworthy, mistake prone, not looking good at all, and has an established 2+ year track record of very poor results its not exactly an outrageous strategy to try to rely on your extremely dependable kicker, and your good defense. Throw into that equation that the other guys aren't exactly offensive juggernauts either and I'm not sure how much I can kill Hackett and Saleh for going the conservative route.

Things were shaky as fuck today but they DID manage to win the game.

I'm pretty confident that if a healthy Aaron Rodgers was on the field today for the Jets the playcalling/strategy wouldn't have looked anything friggen like what it did. So does that mean Hackett is a pathetic idiot? Or is he trying to make some chicken salad with the ingredients provided?

SackRecord99 likes this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

I have no issue whatsoever with what you are saying. My issue is with anyone who expected Zach Wilson to cook Chicken Cordon Blu with Chicken Salad ingredients.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I would say not a great showing. To make it good he just had to lead the Jets to a TD in the red zone.

I think his pass to Conklin was top 5 pass he's ever made. Then his interception, while not the worst, was a bad pass and sort in of between'd Garrett.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I just described to you why the Cowboys are an outlier. Jerry isn't going to fire himself.

If it doesn't matter how we get there then lets just base it base it off of how many dudes have been drafted in the 3rd or later to be starters on each team. In that case, 9/22 of our starters are from the 3rd round or later (Reed, Adams, Whitehead, Quincy, Sherwood/MC2, Jefferson, JFM, McGovern, & Lazard).

Lynch is an elite GM, and I agree that we should hope our GM can get to his level but he's also the same GM that traded 3 first round picks for Trey Lance, meaning that all GMs make mistakes. I'm just saying that I don't think JD has been awful, he's not been great but he's def not even close to the worst GM in the league IMO.

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Do you actually ever watch a game, or does someone tell you the stuff?
    Honestly, man, do you ever watch a game, or your comments are based on something someone told you?
    Did you watch the first half?
    How many drives were interrupted by stupid penalties?
    I'm not going to go into it, but even this "truther" horseshat, it's like people that speak the truth about what actually occurs on-field, is somehow wrong, because you have such a vested interest in Zach failing.

Anyone with eyes, & the smallest bit of integrity, can plainly admit that Zach is playing better.
    Nobody says Zach's playing great. Nor that he's gonna be great.
    Your "truthers" see a guy who's fought thru unprecedented adversity, & is playing much better.
    Will he succeed... who knows?
    But, he's playing so much better than he has, & unlike you, we choose to live in the present, not in the past, in a vacuum, or in a world of meaningless statistics.

NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He was efficient most of the game. Made some solid 3rd down throws that kept us in the game. Before the dumb play call at the end where he threw his pick, there was practically nothing to complain about.

Gone are the days of people throwing 300+ yards and 4 TDs every game. We got spoiled for a while watching the best NFL QBs doing that. The NFL isn't like that anymore.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

19. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You’re not being fair. The “under 200 yards” was on 26 attempts. 7.7 YPA … Which is fine. Not too many QBs are going to throw for 300 yards on 26 Attempts. The INT was a risky throw that went bad, but I’m glad he tried to get the ball to GW to end the game. Honestly, I would have been ok with a tuck and run, and a FG for a 6 point lead, but he went for it. DB made a good play. The result was the Broncos buried inside their 5 vs “The 85 Bears” … the strength of our team. He had just played 11 quarters without an INT, plus 98% of Q12 so it’s not like he’s being reckless with his throws. Now … Calling out a “missed TD” to GW is flat out ridiculous. EVERY game has missed throws by the QB. Not 90% of them … 100% of them. The dumbness to end the first half was unforgivable. No argument there.

He wasn’t great today but he was good. Completed over 70% of his attempts, and moved the offense. if he does that every game we’ll put up a bunch of W’s because we don’t need him to be great. We need him to make enough completions to loosen the defense for Breece who is an absolute stud … and that’s exactly what he did. You might not like winning like that, but it works.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I didn’t think Zach played a very good game…it’s pretty much what he’s been…sometimes it feels like he can get in a rhythm in a hurry up and make a bunch of nice throws, and he did that today as well, but it’s NEVER more than one drive with him.

Yet again, the first quarter was dogshit…yet again, he made stupid mistakes, most notably the dumbass dumpoff at the end of the first half, and then the pick wasn’t the most terrible throw really, but you just CAN’T do that with the game on the line.

And yet again, this team just can’t score touchdowns with him driving the bus. We settle for field goals. That may work against bad teams like Denver, but that shit ain’t going to work against good teams.

We so clearly play “around” our QB…hiding him, trying to get by on D and a running game, and just sorry, but that’s not a playoff team.

Our D is good enough to keep us in games, but we just aren’t going anywhere with Zach playing like this…

I’m super glad we won…I’ll take it…but if this is the best Zach can do, it just isn’t going to be good enough…

SackRecord99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.