And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah but he’s freaking awesome

stinkyB likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

Jets fans criticize Joe Douglas because he hasn’t won shit. Last place every year.

Get out of the basement for once and maybe I’ll give some credit

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Ruckert, Mitchell, Clemons, MC, MC2, Echols, and Bryce Hall have all been drafted in the 3rd or later by JD. None of these guys are All-Pro's but they're all solid players, especially for where they were drafted.

Also, not sure how you can call Sauce, GW, JJ, and AVT "guys that don't break the game for you".

There's a lot to be negative about when it comes to JD but IMO your statement is not very accurate.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True, but they reined him in 2 years ago, when he was a rookie and still learning the offense, how to read NFL Ds, and hadn't worked with Rodgers. He is showing more wisdom now, has a better grasp of the offense, and isn't as cocky as he was then. As you said in your last paragraph, "For Zach to be successful, he has to prove to the league that he can beat you with his arm. I don't feel he gets that done by handing off and completing short passes to backs and TEs." I'd add to that the Jets won't win many games with Zach only completing short passes and handing off. They have to take the reins off, or at least loosen them significantly in order for both Zach and the team to be successful and win. You can't win by coaching scared.

In an ideal world, Zach wouldn't have seen the field this year except in mop up duty or perhaps the last game of the season if the Jets already had a playoff spot and the division title wrapped up. That didn't happen, so they have to adapt and adjust just like Zach is having to do. He's getting a baptism of fire now. This will be his last chance with the Jets. He's got to find a way to get it done, but the Jets have to put him in a position to succeed, and coaching scared isn't going to do that.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's amazing the hyperbole and lengths some posters will go in exaggerating to try to make their point. Thank you for setting that poster straight.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh the problem is that of the first group, only MC2 is a real contributor. The rest are on the roster so far because they basically should be although I like Clemons and Ruckert. Mitchell is a depth piece at best and hasn’t been good when he’s in there, Echols and Michael Carter (RB) are a dime a dozen players in the NFL. Same with Bryce Hall at least as far as we’ve seen.

7. BrowningNagle

Bryce Hall is not a success story. He is a liability in coverage

8. Jonathan_Vilma

I said it a page earlier, but he also was without his starting quarterback for three of the losing seasons Lynch has overseen the 49ers for. They’ve always been in the playoffs when he’s had his training camp starting QB and this will be the 4th year that holds true.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

He doesn't have 2 seasons of in game experience. Deal with it. He played 22 out of a possible 34 games his first 2 years. There's nothing shady about pointing out the lack of experience. It is what it is.

Throwing 3000 yards in 17 games is much different than throwing 3000 in 12. That's why many people look at stats per game over totals.

#249 Jets OG fan, Oct 6, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    cval likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To your point, 3000 over 12 games equates to about 4500 over 17. Someone needs to deal with that to. Statistics around here are being thrown around at times without any context whats so ever. We know what he did in the past was not good enough, simply by the eye test, but statistics in a vacuum don't tell the true story either.

11. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

I feel like people shitting on jd always forget later round picks and trades he made to get us draft capitals. Also where are the
    Morons who were calling for his head about the oline after the last two games? Idiots…just saying whatever they hear on espn

KY Jets Fan, cval, burf and 1 other person like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I further think there are a few on this site lurking around as fake Jet fans to boot.

cval likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If the guy hasn't been healthy enough or competent enough to play more games why should his shortfall of game experience be any excuse? It seems to be perfectly consistent with how the NFL tallies time in the league. Missing games is the norm, not the exception.

I was responding to a totally inaccurate portrayal of the situation, specifically: "You mean the year and a half he's played in the NFL, at the now ripe old age of 23? LOL!" There's no truth to that statement. The guy is now well into his third year in the NFL, and he's 24. Now you want to talk about games the guy has played which is a whole different thing. What's the point in trying to sell it that way? Who would buy it?

RexontheBeach and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

2020-2023 Round 3 to 7 draftees currently starters for their teams.

Jets
    3rd =
    4th =
    5th = Carter II - Nickelback/CB3
    6th =
    7th =

Bills
    3rd = RT, LB
    4th = WR
    5th =
    6th = CB, K
    7th =

Phins
    3rd = RB, LB
    4th =
    5th =
    6th = LS
    7th =

Pats
    3rd =
    4th = RB, PK
    5th =
    6th = RG, K, PR
    7th =

KC Swifties - Beat us
    3rd = LB
    4th = CB, CB
    5th = DE
    6th = RG
    7th = RB

Cowboys - Beat us.
    3rd = DT
    4th = C, TE
    5th = LB, CB
    6th =
    7th =

49ers - Who we were making GM comparisons with
    3rd = PK
    4th = RG
    5th = RT, S, CB
    6th =
    7th = WR, QB

As for our 'gamebreakers' - JJ has yet to prove it, Sauce doesn't travel, AVT isn't in a gamewrecking position and Garrett can only do so much given the guy throwing him the ball.

I don't think any of them are looking 'Pro Bowl' based on what we've seen so far this year - I'd say only Q and potentially Morstead would be in consideration.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

I think Jermaine Johnson has been great this year. Same with Sauce and AVT even though my criticisms remain that I expect a bit more out of a top 15 guard.

Otherwise, I agree. You can’t consider TE3’s and DE6’s as successful picks. Ruckert needed to be TE1 this year. The Jets took Clemons the same year they took Jermaine Johnson, Lawson returning, intent to play JFM meaningful snaps at end and then turn around and take another end the next year.

They take Ruckert a month after signing two tightends to starter-type contracts.

I wonder if Browns fans as an example have this debate about their GM and say yeah but he got Tommy Togiai and Harrison Bryant in the later rounds.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. Jets OG fan

Using years as a metric is pretty strange. The NFL season only lasts 4-5 months. My only point was that Zach lacks experience. He's been under contract for 2 years and change, but only played 24 games. I didn't mean anything nefarious or deceptive by it. I didn't make the original point, but I understood what they meant by it.

17. Ralebird

"Using years as a metric is pretty strange."

Really? Using years as a metric is probably the most consistent measure used for almost all statistics in our lives because it is the most consistent - every year has the same number of days for everyone on the earth. It provides commonality which makes it easy to compare things that can vary widely. Every year offers the same number of opportunities to play in the NFL season.

I believe I understand what the OP was getting at as well - he was making an excuse for a guy who not only missed some games each year due to injury which is common in the league but also missed games because he was benched due to poor performance.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Leap year?

stinkyB likes this.
  19. Jets OG fan

Damn, bro, it's really not THIS important. Pretending to be dumbfounded when the meaning was explained like 5 times is pretty silly. Move on.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Yes, every leap year has the same number of days for everyone on the earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.