Nathaniel Hackett O

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 12, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I understand, but they haven't ever really tried letting him play unfettered from the start. At this point I'm sure he'll make mistakes, and maybe he's broken beyond repair, but what do they have to lose? According to everyone who's convinced he's a bust and the worst QB the Jets have ever had, not much.

Let him either clinch that dubious title of Worst Jets QB Ever, or give him a chance to play more to his natural abilities and see what happens.

burf likes this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The same logic applies to giving Boyle a chance to play--you know you got a loser in ZW under this gameplan at least, why not try something different? I agree ZW should be played to roll out and throw deep--an intercepton is similar to a punt in this situation and we gonna punt anyway.

3 deep incomplete deep passes in a row and punt is the same thing as run on 1st and 2nd then throw short of the sticks on 3rd and then punt.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Well I know we don't agree, but I don't think Boyle is as talented as Zach. But I agree that a deep interception is as good as a punt, and as you noted, Run-Run-Incomplete short pass or a complete pass short of the sticks results in a punt anyway.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

But aren’t you using the same thought process that you’re condemning the OC for? He apparently thinks we’d be worse off trying something diff with ZW just like you think we’d be worse off with Boyle. Neither of u are willing to test your hypotheses though. That’s really frustrating since then we are doomed to the same stuff over and over.

5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

We're best off playing Zach to tank and get Caleb Williams to sit behind Rodgers for a year or two.

REVISion likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The never ending quest... :p

stinkyB likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know CC. It worked against Buffalo and we won. It appears to have worked for 3/4 against Dallas, if OLine didn't collapse again. To me it looks like precisely when Zach was unshackled is when he made the mistakes, imploded, and stopped trusting himself in the next game and became unplayable. OLine did not help. This is a pattern at this point, which I have observed. Eventually when he is throwing he makes mistakes, then shuts himself down mentally and becomes completely unplayable. This is happening again now starting with the end of the Dallas game.

With that said, I want to see him go down swinging. Maybe we get lucky, and picks won't happen and he produces Bucks performance. Either way, let him be himself, and if he can't do it, then Boyle will come in. But playing scared against KC to me is a terrible idea.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Time to stop blaming the 0-line... ;)

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Need more of a sample, but they played much better in pass protection last week then the previous 2.

Borat and Acad23 like this.
  10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Just this little snippet... that's your opinion.
    To me, his 1st INT was bad, while the next two were in desperation time.
    There's a big difference between starting a game 0-0, & going desperation nearing an end of a game.
    They somewhat took the handcuffs off, on that drive last week.
    They were passing on 1st-down, which opened up the running game on 2nd & short.
    That's how ya win, if they're daring you to pass, by clogging the box.
    You absolutely have to pass, to open up the run.
    When has Breece looked so bad, even while he's still not 100%?
    Make the D play honest, then Breece will do his explosions... thus, taking pressure off the passing game.

There's nothing to lose.
    Zach & the O have been impotent.
    If the D is as good as the players keep telling us, then if Zach makes a mistake, force one on the opponent, & give him back good field position.
    It's the one thing they've never done with Zach, just let him be Zach, & utilize the talent they drafted.

Lastly, who knows if anything will ever click Zach into being a consistent NFL-caliber QB?
    So far, Saleh & company have done everything backwards.
    They've ignored the talent, & drummed some imaginary vision of what minimum QB play should be.
    And they've tried to make him that minimum. In essence to minimize the things Zach was/is good at.
    That's a Saleh thing, since he's the common link between two OCs.

We drafted you because of your athletic ability, but we don't want you to use that ability.
    They didn't draft him to be a scared game-manager, yet that's what they've created.
    A good CS would've based everything on his talent, then added pieces on top of the talent.

One thing Zach has shown me, he works his butt off... he's trying, under crazy ridiculous circumstances.
    That's the thing that flipped me on Zach... from not wanting to draft the spoiled rich kid, with possible accuracy issues... to almost rooting against him when he got here... to now, where I'm really rooting for him to succeed.
    I just want to see if he can be the QB they drafted, rather than this thing Saleh created.

11. burf

burf Well-Known Member

You've said it better than I ever could!
    And in reality, Zach's biggest fault is his mild-mannered, respectful conservative upbringing.
    The Bears have tried this season, to do with Justin Fields, what Saleh & Company did to Zach.
    And the results are similar.
    The difference... Fields is challenging his CS publicly.
    I suspect, as a result, Fields will be using his athletic ability more, as the season progresses.

Zach has just been the good little boy, following orders of his 'superiors.'
    He let them destroy him.
    That's where AR's presence at games may help him.
    AR isn't a follower, & maybe some of that will rub off on Zach.
    He needs to become a leader.
    We'll see.

12. BrooklynJetsFan

Zach holds the ball too long. Every QB in this league knows you have 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. No OC or QB coach is telling their QBs to hold the ball. Why does Zach keeping doing that?

You can't blame Saleh, Hackett, MLF, Beck, etc... Zach holds the ball. Handcuffs on or off it wouldn't matter.

He just doesn't have IT....to play in the NFL.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Huh? What does his upbringing have to do with Wilson's inability to see a) his own receivers and b) the defense right in front of him?

stinkyB likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They commit to the run and they’ll continue to see a stacked box. They’d be better off tendering their resignations than having any film that shows them committing to the pass with Zach Wilson under center, but what do you do down by 2-3 scores in the second half?

Nothing will work on offense until they have a QB competent enough to throw a screen pass and not freeze when the guy he’s staring at after taking the snap doesn’t get open (or does and he just freezes anyway). Opposing DC’s know: stop Hall/Cook, win the game.

I get the sentiment and I don’t disagree. There’s room for improvement with play calling and personnel packages, no doubt. Improving on those would lead to better results but they still have a potato taking the snap and I can’t think of any potatoes that have ever excelled as NFL Quarterbacks.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So that's why he banged his mom's friend.....

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Zach Wilson Fan Clump provides endless entertainment.

stinkyB likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Yes he does. And maybe it's because he can't process fast enough, but if that's true why can he process fast enough sometimes, as he did against the Pats last week when he led scoring drives?

The better answer is that because the Jets had drilled him to be risk-averse - entirely against his instincts - it's made him question himself and what he's seeing. You can see it when he struggles. He drops back, looks, looks again, and by the time he decides "Ok, that's a safe window" and throws it, he's late, and either makes it a difficult pass for his receiver to catch, or an interception.

And Burf is right: the common denominator between MLF and Hackett is Saleh, who has obviously dictated to Zach that his #1 priority is to not take risks and to play it safe. That's one of the problems with having a defensive guy as HC, they believe their defense can win games, but only if their offense doesn't make mistakes. The irony is that having Zach play safe means more 3 and outs, which leads to the defense being on the field longer, which leads them to eventually get tired and give up points.

Hackett needs to finally design a game plan suited to Zach's strengths: his strong arm and athleticism, and he needs to use that to open up the running game, instead of being so predictable. Also, why not use a hurry up offense more? Take what they're seeing up in the box and call a play that works against it, and tell Zach to take the snap and fire it (or hand off), without asking him to do a bunch of pre-snap reads and analysis. Zach has shown himself to better when working on a faster clock, and yet they insist on slowing him down.

Maybe this won't work, but they don't have anything to lose at this point.

burf and DetroitRed like this.
  18. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

I don’t think Caleb is coming out. Fact check? Jets aren’t getting that pick anyway

19. BrooklynJetsFan

Because defenses adjust in game. It’s that simple.

20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Respectfully, ya missed the point, as so many do... if you are taught that not making mistakes is the aim of an NFL QB, by those who supposedly know more than you, you will see the field differently than one who's taught to be fearless.
    Very simply... if you saw Zach in college, mechanics aside, did he play scared?
    Was he afraid to pass?
    To me, Zach looked more like a risk-taking gunslinger, than a tentative, fearful of making mistakes QB.
    He relied on his athletic ability to make plays.

So, the question is where did he learn to play scared, & not trust himself?

If I drafted a player with Zach's skillset, & was coaching him, I'd start from where he was, then teach him to hone his skills, rather than limit them.
    As I've said, he wasn't drafted to be a game-manager, but rather, a dynamic FQB.
    But game-manager is exactly what Saleh & company have tried to create.
    They broke him.
    It's like a horse trainer, training a thoroughbred to be a trotter.

I don't know if under different tutelage Zach would've ever grown into a competent NFL QB, but I do know that what Saleh has done, has turned a once confident, risk-taking, raw young QB, into a tentative, basket case.