Zach Wilson vs Patriots: A Breakdown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Sep 26, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And yet Sanchez beat P. Manning and Brady.;)

NY Jets68 and stinkyB like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

And I think his reluctance to make those throws is because he was drilled to be risk averse by LaFleur. He wasn't that way coming out of BYU. And you can see flashes of the "BYU Zach" at times still. This is why I think Hackett needs to toss the conservative tack and let him play with less restrictions for better or worse. If he really shits the bed, then yank him and let him learn from his mistakes.

dmw likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Guys in the NFL aren't wide-open like they were at BYU.... He was throwing to the "guy" then as well..... vs throwing to the "spot" which is required to be successful in the NFL

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Correct. Wilson was never an anticipatory QB, even at BYU

stinkyB and dmw like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I agree. And the much faster speed of the NFL has really impacted him. But you don't learn by not doing. He needs to attempt the throws and calibrate from the results. Being asked to lead the team from Game 1 was a really bad decision.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Blaming it on LaFleur is just silly. Stinky just said it best. You just keep blaming other people man. It’s wild.

HomeoftheJets and TheAustrian like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

I'm just looking for reasons why things happen. You want to call that "making excuses", I don't care.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think they should start Siemian this Sunday, but they won't and ZW will start. In that case, I think they should change the offense. Make radical changes to help Zach succeed. He was great in the hurry-up offense, so run a no-huddle offense. The guy has a cannon arm so GO LONG a few times. Try some trick plays with Gipson. Stop designing a "play-scared" offense for ZW. The offense they are running with ZW is a total failure so they need to try something else.

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And this is the main reason for his downfall.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm with you that Siemien should start ASAP but it's unrealistic that he could come in and be comfortable enough with the offense to start on Sunday.

Best case, Siemien starts next week @Denver but that all depends on how this next week or so goes.

Hopefully you're right and they adjust the offense for Zach. Not sure how much that will help him tbh but we're not gonna beat anyone scoring 1 offensive TD a week. First play of the game should be a PA deep shot to Mecole Hardman or Xavier Gipson, get the D to back up off the LOS a bit.

ColoradoContrails, NY Jets68 and dmw like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Some creativity would be nice. I said before the season that I want to see Cook and Hall on the field at the same time in small doses. I also think the wildcat could be a good option with this offense once in awhile.

And yeah, Gipson in space is slippery good call. Has he gotten a single offensive snap?

dmw likes this.
  12. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

You wonder if this anticipatory skill is something you're born with or whether it can be developed. I lean toward the former.

You look at the great QBs - Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers - and they seem to be able to see what's going to happen milliseconds before it happens. The lesser QBs don't have that ability to do that. It's almost as if the great ones have this unnatural ability to process information in an ungodly short time and react to it instantly.

I really think it's a natural God-given talent. I'd give a baseball analogy. Some guys are born with the reflexes to be able to hit a 95-mph fastball. If you don't have those kind of reflexes, I doubt that it can be taught.

dmw and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I say go no-huddle and let it rip. He seems to play better when he is playing up-tempo. It also slows the pass rush and keeps the defense in a predictable coverage. What do we have to lose?

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think some of what Orlovsky says here is true. It definitely seems like for the last 2 years they've coached Zach to play it safe and it hasn't worked out, but I also just think he's just not an NFL QB so I'm not totally sure how much that type of coaching has actually hurt him.

Regardless, just let him rip on Sunday night. He's probably gonna throw 5 picks, but who cares? What's the worst that could happen? We lose 42-21 instead of 24-10?

ColoradoContrails, dmw and cval like this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He's pretty spot on with the philosophy of defensive minded coaches. Look at Rex, Bowles, or Saleh. They neutered every rookie QB and thought they could win with no TOs and defense. Look at Chicago right now with Fields. That mentality just ruins young QBs

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes, but your reasons are almost always someone else’s fault seems like, which is why people respond the way they do.

Maybe the reason is just that he can’t see, he’s never seen, and he may never learn to see it…maybe the reason is he is just not a good QB…not because of something MLF coached him to do, not because the OL is shit, etc.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He already did. In the 4th quarter against Dallas and threw 3 picks, with the last one being the worst. After that he was afraid to throw. I think he is done mentally, playing him now is a disservice to him. KC is the same as Jags game last time. I would not play him this year. He actually looked better after the offseason with Hack and Aaron, and I thought looked decent in preseason and in Buffalo game and even 3/4 of Dallas game. But he melted in the 4th Q in Dallas and was back to last year's Zach on Sunday.

He needs to sit again, nothing Hack can do now is useful aside from playing someone else, i.e. Boyle and hope he does not get injured.

18. TheAustrian

TheAustrian Member

yes - let him rip. Funnier to watch but orlowski also said exactly the same for Darnold- he has no clue

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Say what you will about Orlovsky but he's actually played the position at the NFL level.

Doesn't mean he's always gonna be right but I think he's got more insight into these types of situations than most.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

"let it rip" ... right into the hands of KC defenders.

not a good strategy