JDs Tenure Up Until This Point - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 27, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I guess my point is that there's more talent on this OL than there was on the 2019 version.

I'm not saying this OL is good but it's hard to have good data or statistics with Zach Wilson as your QB.

SOJAZ, ouchy and IDFjet like this.
  2. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I think he’s been…meh. Ok, not terrible, not good, just ok. He’s made some good moves, some terrible ones and some in between.

Trouble is ok is not good enough - especially for an organisation like the Jets.

The Zach stuff burns my brain. San Francisco traded up for Trey Lance, realised he wasn’t good enough. They got over any ego and shipped the guy out. Meanwhile this organisation refuses to do the same.

I actually don’t blame Wilson at this point. He’s clearly not good enough but JD and RS keep putting him in an impossible position. I think all three will be gone at the end of the season and we start again.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

It's so unfair to all the other players on the team--all the offensive guys obviously but all the defensive too--our opponents avg field position when removing turnovers must be near highest in the league given the paucity of our offense,

This falls on managment entirely--if Woody is independent of this, both JD and RS need to go today.

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

This is probably a better question for the offseason but what are the Jets going to do for a QB going forward long-term. In a perfect world Rodgers comes back and plays well next year and stays healthy. But at 41 and 2 years removed from playing can we count on that. Zach won't be here (OR SHOULDN"T) and I don't know how strong of a draft class it is for QB's next draft. That is assuming the Jets can draft a good one which is a BIG IF as we all know.

5. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. It's 100% mental.

6. Jets OG fan

I do think if the Jets drafted Fields, it would be different because he's so good on his feet, but as far as overall success, they'd probably only be marginally better.

7. Jets OG fan

This is true. Zach has actually had more time to throw than every other QB in the league in 2023. It's not the oline. Not saying they are great, but they are good enough and I expect them to improve with more time gelling at their current positions.

If Zach was actually getting the ball out on time and showing pocket awareness, the oline wouldn't even be an afterthought.

[​IMG]

#107 Jets OG fan, Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    Ralebird, Jets-N-Terps and stinkyB like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This stat is more an indicator that a QB is holding the ball too long rather than one showing an OL is good. This is a negative on Zach, not a positive on the OL.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

chicken / egg scenario..... he can't hold the ball too long if he doesnt have the time to ;)

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Interesting reading on this thread…I have been a JD supporter so far … maybe part of that is that he is WORLDS better than the shitshow we’ve had at GM before him in Mac and Idzik and Bradway…

I give him credit for improving the roster overall, which I do think he’s done (sure he’s had a lot of high picks, but firstly, that was his doing, and secondly, as we saw with Idzik, having a lot of picks doesn’t mean you know what to do with them)…and while his first draft looks like a complete waste, I gave him slack as that was with a different coach who ran a different system).

But regardless, the roster is overall better.

On the downside, I am super frustrated that despite trying with multiple high draft picks and free agent signings, the OL isn’t as good as it should be after 5 years on the job. Now, I do think the piss poor QB play makes the line look worse, but still, no one will confuse our OL for a top 5 unit, and after this long, it should be better.

And of course we get to the QB…I didn’t like the Zach pick then (and honestly I wanted no part of Fields either), but I can understand the need to draft a potential FQB. They don’t all work out. But I understand the logic behind it. In hindsight, poster like Ouchy were pounding the table to trade out of #2 and build the rest of the team and let Darnold stay another year or so, and clearly in hindsight that probably would have been the better way to go, but still, I understand the decision.

I’m more frustrated with the current stance on Zach…he so clearly sucks and he so clearly is NOT the guy, yet we continue to trot him out there.

And finally, I get the tear down rebuild, and I didn’t hold him to his W-L record as much previously, but I’m quickly getting to the point where we can’t just ignore it either. This isn’t year 2 anymore. We are going on Year 5 and we should be better.

So the bloom is definitely off the rose

Metstrife and ouchy like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sure he can, by bailing on clean pockets and being indecisive, as we know Zach is extremely prone to doing.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

fair... but if he had said clean pocket to bail from (like running backwards 10 yards AFTER getting a snap from shotgun), I'd say the O-line was doing their job adequately ;)

13. Jets OG fan

I never said it meant the oline was good, I said "good enough." It meant that Zach was bad and the oline isn't the main reason, HE IS.

His timing is bad, his reads are bad, he misses open receivers and yes, he holds the ball too long. He has like 1 good drive per game and still makes the same mistakes he made in his rookie year. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a while, but I can't do that anymore.

#113 Jets OG fan, Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

So we don't get carried away, that 1 good drive was saved by a bad pass interference call--ZW is good to put up 6 points a game--2 FG's.

He's also good at getting 1 receiver hurt per game by either running him into a defender or stretching him out with a high throw. If the reveiver is not injured we are lucky.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  15. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

He's had 33 picks over 4 years.
    7 on Day 1
    7 on Day 2

Result is 8 starters against KC and that includes 2 busts in Becton & Zach + Carter II (when package requires) who's also our only pick outside Round 2 to be on the field for a large amount of time.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

bottom 5 of leauge

JohnnyJet likes this.
  17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

1) The #1 pick swap with Green Bay gave JD a loss on the Rodgers trade, with everything snowballing from there.

2) Selecting a future talent like McDonald #1 in a so called win now season was irresponsible.

3) His 2023 offseason pickups, mostly consisting of ARod's buddies, have yet to show up and play.

4) Not putting a contingency plan together in the offseason just in case his 40 year old QB became injured is either gross negligence or just plain stupidity.

5) Trotting out Zach for a repeat of 2022 to torture the fans is grounds for dismissal. JD's failure to acknowledge in a timely manner that he fucked up the Zach pick should have him on shaky ground with any organization that is worth its salt.

With the lack of a long term QB being the team's glaring weakness, can you once again trust JD to deliver at a position where he has done nothing but fumble?

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And nothing at all has gone differently this year? Meanwhile, the coach is telling the reporters to ask Joe, who's nowhere to be found.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i mean there isn't a single good team that would still be SB contenders if their QB went down for the year. you think the bills without allen or cheifs without mahomes etc etc would win? i mean the giants, raiders, bengals, titans and bears all have offenses as bad as ours and they aren't missing a HOF QB or really anyone from their offenses due to injury. and the giants just paid DJ 40 mil, the bears traded up for their QB who clearly isn't good (honestly he may be even worse then zach) and they did nothing to address it, and the bengals just paid burrow 45+ mil and he's been a pro bowler his whole career and now looks like ass the 1st 3 games.

the problem is people tend to look at their team in a bubble instead of seeing the whole picture. we are stuck with a backup QB who isn't good. no other team really lost their starter for a long amount of time, especially no other team that was supposed to be good

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because it was part of what rodgers wanted. and rodgers took a massive paycut and we wanted to make him happy. he likes zach and wanted to mentor him. the plan was rodgers mentors him for 2 years and then we have zach take over if he's ready by re-singing him and if he's not ready by then we can move on with no penalty

ColoradoContrails likes this.