So what’s going to happen next? Predictions?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The80sJets, Sep 24, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I'm honestly at a complete loss as to how Wilson still has a job. Not only is he terrible, but his teammates were wearing t-shirts touting his backup last year. The organization spent the entire off-season chasing an almost 40-year-old quarterback who had one foot out the door to retirement. So instead of just cutting their losses, the Jets doubled down on their stupidity by not bringing anyone else in and leaving Wilson as the only backup quarterback. As always happens in Jetland, the bad gamble backfired immediately. And, they then re-doubled down on their stupidity by not making a phone call 5 minutes after Aaron Rodgers went down to bring in a veteran backup just in case either Zach got hurt or sucked. It's not like they didn't have empirical evidence that either one could and would happen.

Woody Johnson, at least to me, is clearly calling the shots here. Whenever the Jets get into this type of inexplicable mode, it's always because he's doing something to try and be relevant in the news, and instead the Jets become relevant for the wrong reasons. We had a nice couple of plain old incompetent years when he was away, but now the circus atmosphere is back along with him.

So, you ask what will happen next? I think it's pretty clear that with the Jets track record on primetime night games, they are going to get demolished next week. Something historic will happen, and the Jets will be relevant for all the wrong reasons again. Front page news, the lead story on every sport show, etc.

Johnson will realize by Monday morning that the fans aren't screwing around, that he's back where he was a few years ago and that his precious season tickets are in peril again, and they will go out and sign the biggest name they possibly can. Whether that's Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, or giving up 3 years worth of draft picks and overpaying for Kirk Cousins, I think we will have a guy sometime next week.

In my mind, it's pretty clear that the Aaron Rodgers thing in the off-season was a 180 degree deviation from the plan that Joe Douglas was developing for 2 years. That stinks of Woody. It is also very clear to me from body language and reversal of character that Saleh is a puppet that is being directed on what to say and do. There is no way, despite how bad a coach he has been on a lot of levels, that he is quite this stupid and loyal to Zach.

So, short version, the Jets will hit rock bottom very soon and more changes will be made. They won't be favorable in the most likely scenario, but you can count on some kind of big splash in the next week or two at most.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Pepsiguy5, IIMeanDeanII, Jojo and 6 others like this.
  2. The_Darksider

Duplicate post.

#22 The_Darksider, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  3. The_Darksider

Completely untrue. Woody may know next to nothing about football and might not even know who they're playing, but he's super-sensitive to fan criticism and has been a star chaser multiple times. All he cares about is making money, and though he knows absolutely nothing about football, he blows everything up every so often in an attempt to make headlines so the Jets can sell tickets and line his pockets.

4. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The Swifties taking over MetLife Stadium is next up for this shitshow.

sackexchange and stinkyB like this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Second class? That high?

Pepsiguy5, Jets69, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

None of what you write is true simply because you believe it is. Now, citing a few instances of "super-sensitive" Johnson being affected by criticism from the fans should be easy to find to support your claim if it's true - he's certainly gotten plenty of criticism.

7. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

They drafted a DL who can’t get on the field for him this year.
    I agree with you on a lot of this. We will never know what’s being said behind closed doors, but you have to think Boyle is getting some reps with the ones this week. Zach is going to booed mercilessly from the first incompletion on next week in front of a huge audience.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If zw continues the rest of the season, this team maybe lucks into 2 or 3 more wins b/c the defense/STs score at some point. We already got one of those week 1 so maybe 3 wins total?

If they bring in an actual QB who can just play pitch and catch, I think this team can be right in the middle of the pack. 8 or 9 wins and keep us interested all the way until December. I have no faith in this FO to bring in a competent backup (or switching to Boyle to see if he can play pitch and catch) before the season is over by the bye week. They need to be 2-4 before the bye week and have a QB who can come in and just play game manager for the second half. The schedule is a freaking joke.

HomeoftheJets and TheAustrian like this.
  9. jackie1013

jackie1013 Member

Imagine how the team feels going into next week’s game? They are facing the Super Bowl champs with Browning Nagle lite as their QB.
    The end of the season probably can’t come quick enough for them. Woody should give them all a $100,000 bonus just for showing up.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The Broncos are so bad that we might just come out of our bye week with a 2-4 record even if we ler Zach start our next three games.

There are two ways that we need to walk a tight rope if we are going to save our season with a new QB under center

First we do not want to spend resources to bring a QB onto the roster only to see him broken in half be the Chiefs or the Eagles. With that said we do want him to get some game time to get into our system and develop chemistry with the players.

Second we need to be patient enough to get the best value but want to get the QB here in time to make sure we beat the Broncos.

As long as Duane Brown never gets on the field the offensive line we had on the field last week might just be good enough to get us 17 points per game with the right quarterback.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Tailspin is my honest prediction. But not bad enough to secure Caleb Williams. And this team is too talented to tank unfortunately.

My only hope is that the core talent of this team remains intact for 2024 and there are no trade requests and quitting.

Saleh might lose the locker room if he continues to have back Zach with no accountability. I can only hope his messaging behind closed doors to his team is very different than to the media (which is not unreasonable). JD should acquire a veteran QB ASAP for every single person's sake and I think he will.

#31 JetFanInPA, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  12. The_Darksider

Favre - Big time star chasing here, had they stuck with Pennington they could have gotten the same results from a good solid young team on the rise. Instead ended up having to go with a rookie quarterback the next year who was essentially a big reason that team didn't win the Super Bowl in one of those two years

Tebow - enough said

Rodgers - see Favre. Slightly different situation in that we did not have a quarterback to go with, but he forced a GM who had never done anything remotely like what he did this past off season to veer off course from a rebuild that was going very well and blow up the team by going after the biggest name available.

That should give you your examples of star chasing.

As far as sensitivity fan criticism, it's all interrelated. Every time the Jets get to a certain point but don't get over the hump, this guy blows everything up in an attempt to get a big name in the door that will fill seats with very little regard for how much damage he's actually doing.

My belief that this is what's happening is no different than your belief that it isn't, except I have what to me is solid evidence and simple conjecture to back it up. It's impossible, the longest odd you could imagine, to believe that several different regimes all do the same stupid things, and up with the same results, and continue to rinse and repeat. I may have believed in the complete incompetence of the people that have been hired, but Douglas was actually headed in the right direction, had a very clear plan, and then basically did a 180 this offseason..

I'm certainly not going to argue with you about it, if you don't agree, that's perfectly fine.

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  13. Ralebird

That's not "star-chasing" at all, that's misguided marketing, which I've said was not done in the case of Tebow or Favre to improve the team but to improve his bottom line. As you indicate, in the current case, he may have been looking at a short term fix but it's no coincidence that it was done in conjunction with hiking the price of everything he sells. I disagree vehemently with your claim that any current rebuilding plan "was going very well" - nothing supports that claim, particularly not the scoreboard.

You may believe Johnson is sensitive to criticism but when have you ever seen him blow up at a fan, a reporter or commentator? It doesn't happen and your "simple conjecture" does absolutely nothing to support it. He just doesn't care enough - if he did he would have hired an experienced football operations veteran long ago to oversee the on field program.

I'd be interested in hearing why you believe that Douglas was "actually headed in the right direction" because that is in no way reflected by his rate of success in the NFL standings since he got here.

14. The_Darksider

It seems to me we both believe that Woody Johnson is only about the bottom line, we just feel he goes about it for our own separate reasons. So we agree there, even if we disagree on the mechanisms as to why.

Regarding the rebuild, I'd say that 7-4 last year with a team that was loaded with younger players after being completely bereft of any talent at all two years before that is a pretty good indication that the rebuild was headed in the right direction.

But even if the scoreboard and postseason berths didn't necessarily support it (yet), it was a young team without any real long term cap restraints. Douglas clearly struck out on the quarterback, no question there, and that's where this all went off the rails. Instead of sticking with the rebuild plan, the Jets started to believe their own headlines from last year, where they looked much better a year earlier than expected and that they were "only a quarterback away". The fans started spewing that, the press started spewing that, and you and I can disagree as to how much of that affected Woody Johnson and what he wanted to do, but regardless, the Jets decided to go for it now. That is completely counterintuitive to what Douglas had done in the couple of years before that, and it is completely in line with what the Jets as an organization had done before.

It doesn't take much in the way of detective skills to figure out that Johnson saw an opportunity, listened to what the fans and press were saying, and tried to take advantage of it. I can call it sensitive to the fans, you can call it marketing, at the end of the day, this is mostly on him sticking his fingers where they don't belong. And it's not the first time.

15. Ralebird

Your last paragraph would have been enough here except that whatever Johnson saw I don't believe had anything to do with a long term plan to better the team, it was all about selling seats at a higher price. He is not equipped or sufficiently advised to participate in making the team better. Whether he understands that is a moot point.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Jesus browning Nagle showed more promise

17. The_Darksider

Oh, trust me, I never said Woody had a long-term plan. He comes in and fucks up the long-term plans with his stupidity and greed. So I believe we are on the same page after all, we just have somewhat different versions of why Woody's a shortsighted asshole.

18. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The 2-11 Jets fresh off a great win over the Texans where Zach goes 18 of 26 for +250 yards and 2 TD's with no turnovers travel to the 11-2 Dolphins who have once again just lost their QB1 to injury, wrecking his MVP campaign.

Their Back-up QB leads them to a 51-3 win over the Jets and he finishes off the season as they take the #2 Seed, hosting the Bills they advance to the SB where in only his 15th start the kid out of Pembroke Pines, Florida wins the SB MVP and the AFC East has produced yet another 'World' champion.

The Jets season ends in New England.

Trailing 10-9 in the final minutes, The New England QB runs 40 yards out of the back of the endzone giving the Jets a safety and the first win over the Pats in years. This does however come at the cost of moving the Jets from #2 in the Draft to #6

JD and Saleh get fired and the '24 Jets kick-off with a returning Rodgers under HC Nathaniel Hackett.

Oh! The Fins win it all in Nevada over the 49ers who despite suffering an injury to Purdy in the NFC championship game over the Seahawks, had enough of a lead for their back-up QB to pilot them through towards his own first postseason start.

#38 Gremlin, Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    TheAustrian likes this.
  19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Horrible season, but they end up pulling that one win out of their ass that they never should have, resulting in not being able to draft the qb they should have. Can somebody please flip the record , it’s over and skipping.