How the Jets RB radar looks this offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 14, 2007.

?

Who will be our offseason RB acquisition?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2007.
  1. Marshawn Lynch

11.9%
  2. Michael Bush

10.7%
  3. Micheal Turner

32.1%
  4. Clinton Portis

8.3%
  5. Deuce McAllister

8.3%
  6. Other

17.9%
  7. We will have the same runningbacks as last year

10.7%
  1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Portis- A very explosive, well rounded runningback who has played in the NFL for 5 years, he does it all from making the tough runs up the gut to being able to run the ball to the outside... he can pass block out of the backfield...he is only 25 and will be turning 26 before the beginning of the next season...has played in 68 of 82 games since joining the NFL, 8 of which he missed this season to a broken hand...The Redskins more then likely will be asking for a high 2nd if not a first for Portis, he still has a good 7 years left in the tank which is more then enough to demand a high pick in exchage for him, keep in mind portis was only 20 when he entered the NFL, he has has some wear and tear on him, but hes a tough SOB, chances are the Jets will pass on him ODDS: 8:1

Michael Turner- Has sat his whole career behind the likes of future Hall of Fame RB Ladainian Tomlinson, who is a much better version of what Portis is. LT is the complete back who has no glaring weakness. Turner who possesses great size and speed, can have a very good career elsewhere, however it will be hard to shop him around this offseason if the Chargers demand a first round pick for him. Its hard to justify 1st round talent in terms of a trade, or being an UFA, if you are a backup regardless of talent, but Turner may in fact be worthy...look for teams to try to pry Turner away for a 2nd rounder. Look for the Chargers to struggle to come to agreeable terms with any team until the final weeks of Free agency leading up to the draft, or maybe even use Turner as draft bait....The offer of possibly giving up a second rounder may be too tempting for Tangini to pass on, giving the Jets their 1-2 Combo with Washington they have been looking for...Jets will give Turner a long hard look...but will not give away a 1st rounder for his services. ODDS: 4:1

Deuce McAllister- took over the reigns as full time RB in his 2nd year in NO when Ricky Williams went to the Dolphins in 2002, and has been a very good back and a workhorse. He has started all but 4 games since 2002 other then the 11 games he missed in 2005 due to his season ending injury...a consistant runner who can punish defenders, as well as his own body. Deuce has a lot of miles on his 28 year old legs, and his style of running doesnt make it any easier on him. Deuce has a history of knee and ankle injuries which may turn heads away if the cost is too high for him...the likes of Reggie Bush will most likely be taking most of the workload over for the Saints, as they may search for a less expensive # 2 back to complement Bush, which will put Deuce out on the open market...but can the injury history, age, and pricetag that goes along with Deuce be too much for GM's to bargain for? The Jets have plenty of money to spend this offseason and may as well be willing to pay the price if they are convinced that Duece can carry the load for at least 4-5 more years. ODDS: 10:1

DRAFT:

Marshawn Lynch- Star RB out of the University of Cal, who has been a 1000+ yard rusher his sophmore and junior year, in addition to 21 rushing tds, and 29 since joining the Golden Bears in 2004, His 5-11, 220 lbs frame is a good size for a RB, although his speed at 4.5 (40 yrd dash might) suggest he is more a power back then speed, his size doesnt suggest that he is a power back. However, his balance of speed and power, along with his good hands out of the backfield, vision, and leadership may be too much for teams to pass on. As of now, his draft stock is very high as he is expected to go mid 1st round, and is very unlikely to fall to the Jets at #25, which may be compelling for the Jets to package some picks and move up. ODDS: 5:1

Michael Bush- After a star season his junior year, he was plagued with a broken leg injury that ended his senior season just one game into it. His stats cannot be ignored, which shows he is 2nd all time in Louisville history in rushing TD's scored in just 3 years and 1 game. His draft stock has fallen greatly , as he was considered a Heisman candidate at the beginning of the season, but if he can demonstrate that he has recovered from his injury, his stock could rise back into the early or mid 1st round, but he could possibly fall to the early 2nd round, although its unlikely...Bush possesses great size at 6'3, 250 lbs, and runs very well for a man at that size 4.6 ( 40 yard dash) Not many big backs can possess the combo of speed and power then Bush has, as he can punish opponents with his size. Bush may not be in the jets plans in the first round, but if he falls to the second, which is very unlikely, the Jets will most likely swoop him up ODDS: 6:1

2. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

I won't mind seeing Portis back here. He's still one of the best runningbacks in the league. He can change our offensive big time. If not him we have to bring in the Burner.

3. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Cut Barlow, Blaylock, & Houston.

Start Leon, draft (3rd round+)/sign power back for other 10 carries per game.

4. ChadisGoldenBoy

ChadisGoldenBoy New Member

There's little to no chance that Portis comes here. Redskins are a bad franchise, but they don't take a top 5 RB, and trade him at his lowest point just because Ladell Betts learned how to run the ball.

McAllister doesn't come here, not a chance in hell. They need a back besides Bush, and when you are a young team like the Saints, who are going this far in the playoffs, you don't take away a leading player and leader.

5. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I voted that we'd have the same backs(Houston + Washington) as I don't predictus getting any of the guys mentioned unless somebody falls to us in the draft.

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that we may see Michael Turner taking handoffs from Pennington in 2007. Although I wouldn't be too upset if we went in with Cedric Houston and Leon Washington.

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i have a feeling we will be seeing him too....i dont think the jets are willing to part with a 1st rounder for any RB this season because they dont see it as a priority, we have other positions that need to be adressed...they will get somebody though, i see either parting with a 2nd rounder to get Turner right before the draft, or finding a way to swoop up Michael Bush in the 2nd if he falls...which he can do if he hasnt healed fully or performs poorly at the combine

8. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

God I want Portis so bad.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I would have NO problem at all giving our original 2nd round pick for Turner.
    I would be questionable about giving up Washingtons 2nd round pick and I would be pissed if we gave up our 1st round pick unless they gave us something else in addition to Mike Turner.

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

You cannot deny what Portis would bring to this team.....I really have a feeling that we trade for Turner though....a 2nd rounder is my guess. I would be happy with any of those choices to be quite honest with you. We have a lot of different options and directions to go.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think we draft somebody that isn't even on our (fans) radar right now. Tangini showed they can find diamonds in the rough (Leon, and Brad). Whiles all those names sound nice I don't think we blow away anybody by signing or drafting one of them. Unless by the grace of god Adrian Peterson somehow fell into our lap would we draft a RB high.

12. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

If we wait a year, we could throw tons of money at Frank Gore. He becomes a free agent after next season.

The 49ers will probably do whatever it takes to extend his contract in the off-season. But if they can't....

13. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I'd love to see Marshawn Lynch but he will likely be out of our range. Therefore I see the Jets picking Michael Bush with their first rounder due to the lack of players at CB and NT (our other two positions of need.)

If God were a Jets fan we'd get Clinton Portis, but I'd say we're more likely to end up with Ladell Betts if we trade with Washington.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Adrian Peterson is wishful thinking....by the grace of God, and then by the chance that all the other teams drafting ahead of us go completely stupid.

but yea...i wouldnt mind AP...no more diamonds in the rough, its time we find a proven RB...or one that we know has great potential...

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Ask CMart who he would want to fill his boots , thats good enough for me.

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I think we go into 2007 with the same backs as this year, while improving the line. Maybe picking up a guy the same way they did with Washington (second day pick/some other lower-tier acquisition) and have an open battle in camp. But it's hard to predict what will happen on draft day so it wouldn't surprise me to see them pick up a back on day 1.

17. daking231

daking231 Member

I'm gonna say we get Michael Turner.... I hope we dont go into next year with the same RB's cause we need a every down back IMO and it showed this year.

18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

regardless of which RB we get in the offseason, we still are going to use a RBBC approach, maybe less then last year, but there probably wont be any dominant RB who gets 90% of the carries...dont forget we have Washington, his playmaking ability cannot be ignored...

19. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Michael "the burner" Turner combined with Neon Leon Washington IMO would be amazing. Turner is very explosive as well as Leon, but different kinds of explosive. Turner can take it up the gut and drag people on his back and get big gains like that. Leon is unstoppable in the open field. I would love to see that.

20. The U

The U Member

Deuce would be sick, but I don't see him going anywhere though. Portis would be nice also.