Hostile environment at Metlife

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Sep 20, 2023.

?

Should Metlife be a hostile environment for a young QB, even if he makes early mistakes vs the Pats?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Zach is what he is. An overmatched kid playing a man's game. He's also the QB of the NYJ's so it's hard to root against him. Due to history, it's also hard to expect anything other than another catastrophe after 14 consecutive ones. I'll root for the Jets on Sunday, but I clearly don't expect much out of Zach or Hackett. Leastwise enough to beat Belichek.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with your view. Having said that, nothing, absolutely nothing would please me more than for this team to crush the Pats in our own home for once. No matter how, special teams, defense, offense, officiating, I simple don’t focus on one guy. I want to see for once a solid team effort, a great game plan, and adjustment on the fly to counter BB moves. I don’t care if Zach plays the perfect game or he gets away with a few selected passes and a strong running game. I’m more concerned about our CS and the game plan against BB than Zach’s performance or any other player for that matter.

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

100%.. How refreshing it was to see all-pro Aaron Rodgers take the young players like Becton and Wilson under his wing and say, "I believe you have the tools and you can do it." It seems that Becton has responded, maybe Zach will or maybe he won't. So far the team has tried to emulate Rodgers and support their QB. I just hope the Jets fans that are at Metlife on Sunday try the same.

rscherwin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't like to boo players and or teams and I don't like it when other fans do it. That's one of the reasons I don't go to games. They just aren't that important.

5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

What are we talking about here? Jet fans should relentlessly cheer Zach like their hero and savior, even after he throws two horrendous picks, coughs up a fumble, runs backward 50 yards and gets sacked five times, putting the Jets in a 20-0 hole. Can't be anywhere near worse than Shea Stadium fans, who drunkenly turned the place into a riot zone during a 1979 Monday night game against the Minnesota Vikings, which the Jets actually won. Imagine what would have happened if the Jets had lost.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Becton's been really bad, just not as bad as Duane Brown so he's been getting more of a pass than he deserves.

7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

There was a multi page thread where it was near unanimous that Becton was a bust and would never play a snap for the Jets again. PROGRESS!

8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Well have of that is still correct.

9. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

That would be me. With that showing last week I should welcome him with open arms. Really. He hasn't done anything since he got here. I will hold the door for him on his way out

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No - the only way for the Jets to win games (they're all important when they hit the standings) is to play a guy who has shown he has the competence and consistency to win games in the NFL. Wilson has never shown that he can. It's about winning games, not about sacrificing every other guy on the team for the sake of a bad draft pick.

It's not at all about me, it's not about being "fair," it's about running a business to succeed - in the NFL that means winning!

12. Ralebird

Dealing with reality is far saner than living on fantasy. You're not really suggesting that anyone should make predictions based on what they'd like to happen rather than what they believe will happen, are you?

13. Ralebird

Ha! The strangest game I've ever attended, and I don't mean on the field. The first Monday Night game ever played in New York - probably should have been the last. Corral 70,000 guys who were drinking since school or work got out into a stadium at nine o'clock on a chilly night and see what happens if no one had the foresight to add extra security. Right behind where I was sitting was the big scoreboard in right field and a fight broke out in front of it at halftime; it was still going on midway through the fourth quarter. When the game ended there were groups of kids chasing the rent-a-cops around just for fun.

14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What people “should” do doesn’t matter.

They’ll boo him and the offense if they play like they did last season against NE, and it’ll be well deserved.

Zack Wilson’s been in the NFL for years now. Let’s stop pretending he deserves rookie type accommodation.

And FWIW, the fans are much, much louder when the team plays well and does good things. We got so loud we spooked Allen into a fumble week one (or at least I’d like to think we played a part).

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Cman68

They treat Zach like he's 13 years old and playing Pop Warner. They give him "participation" trophys for looking better than last year. They go far out of their way to prop this kid up and sell him to the fanbase 3 years after he came into the leage. I'm not sure we can lower the bar for Zach any further for fear of hitting a water main. JD and Saleh are clinging to the hope Zach turns into a NFL QB no matter how many years that might take. Just can't admit they fckd up that draft pick. Its kinda like when you have an infant in the house, stay very quiet or he/she might wake up and start crying.

#95 Cman68, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah I really don't get that. They dragged Geno Smith through the mud, gave up on Darnold very quickly but we get Wilson shoved down our throats

i have an idea but I guess we dont need to go there

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The Jets benched Wilson last year, even going as far as demoting him to QB3. In the off-season they went out and traded for Aaron Rodgers, again removing Wilson from the starting lineup for a minimum of 1 year and most likely 2 years. At that point Wilson's contract would be up.

Unfortunately the worst case scenario occured and we lost Rodgers for the entire season. If not for that, we would have only seen Wilson in mop up duty or a spot start if Rodgers got dinged. This is all factual.

The notion that the Jets went into this year forcing Wilson on the fanbase is pure nonsense. He was not the starter. They would have loved for him to not play a single minute. Due to the amount of money Rodgers gets paid as well as Wilson, they were a bit hamstrung on the QB3 position. Cutting Wilson would have hurt the cap situation and his contract is guaranteed.

People are going to bitch because they have nothing to else better to do. But enough with trying to frame this as the organization trying to force Wilson down our throats as the future of the franchise. If anything they are still trying to salvage the guy and that started with sitting him behind Aaron Rodgers.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Cman68

People are fed up with Zach Wilson. Something the Zach homers just can't understand. The Jets went into this season with no intentions of playing Zach because they had their FQB finally in place. Plan A blew up 4 plays in and then they found themselves with Zach again. Now they have to give "full support" to Zach Wilson verbally at any opportunity. Propping the Kid up. Now we get homers saying the Jets aren't trying to sell Zach to the fanbase which is exactly what they're doing. We even getting the propaganda machine revved up with the "support Zach posts".

There are Zach Homers and there are Zach Haters. Zach Homers will see this as an effort to salvage Zach Wilson. Zach Haters will see this as an effort to salvage a wasted draft pick. Saleh has been gaslighting this fanbase since he got the job. All the jingles in the world won't make Zach a better QB. Neither will wishful thinking of the Homer contingent. So, if cheering Zach makes your Sunday's better? Great. Just don't try to tell anyone what to think, how to cheer, or anything that doesn't fit your ideal of what a real Jet Fan is. Frankly, it's not gonna matter if you like it or not. If you think it will, you're wasting your time here.

Zach is who and what he is. A overmatched kid with a $35M guaranteed contract that's up I think next year. Unless his game has a massive upgrade, he won't get an extension. Then I guess we'll hear about how unfair Zach was treated.

#98 Cman68, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  19. Cman68

Took Geno 10 years to become an NFL QB. He got there by getting away from the QB Hell that is the New York Jets. Yeah, they're far more patient with Wilson but that may more to do with that $35m guaranteed money than his baby blue eyes.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe because they finally realized that what they had done in the past - throwing QBs into the deep end and then pulling the plug early - doesn't really work.