Hostile environment at Metlife

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Sep 20, 2023.

?

Should Metlife be a hostile environment for a young QB, even if he makes early mistakes vs the Pats?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of Wilson's, but he shouldn't be the target of the boos on Sunday when the Jets inevitably stink it up against the Pats. The boos should be directly squarely at Woody, Joe Douglas, and Robert Saleh. And the fans should let them hear it as soon as things turn south on Sunday.

rscherwin likes this.
  2. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

We should have brought in a competent backup like Sam Darnold?

Thanks for making the point about coaching's impact on a young player's development.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So he is our one and only QB at this point and we should make it even harder for him……that is a bizarre question for any fan to ask, we should do nothing but root for him, save the hostility for the Pats.

4. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

No we should of brought back White, or brought in Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Marcus Mariota, who are and will always be miles better than Zach Wilson, if you are going for a championship run you go out and get a competent backup Qb incase shit goes wrong not have a pee wee league qb as your backup

5. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Depends how blatantly bad it was

6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Of course, people have the right to boo.
    But, as a fan, when I see someone who's fought through a public humiliation, & is still giving his best shot...
    what's the point of booing?
    All anyone booing is doing, is dooming the team!

We all know players' are effected by the crowd.
    So, if people would lighten up, & let's say chant "Go Zach," that could lighten him up, & fire him up.

Bottomline, if you are truly a Jets fan, you want the team to win.
    It's easy to beat up someone that's down, and just plain stupid if ya want the team to win.

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Everything else aside, we are 1-1 now. As fans we should do whatever we can as long as the season isn't totally lost. Unfortunately there will be plenty of time for booing down the road.

KY Jets Fan and mattyd99 like this.
  8. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

The point of booing is to show ownership your fed up with someone, I was there at the game last year vs Jacksonville and after fans booed Zach for half a quarter selah finally took him out, booing works, if players stink you should boo them as if you stink at your job you wouldn’t have a job and neither should they. If you shell out your hard earned money you deserve to see a good quality product if it is sub par you should boo. Just like if you went to a broadway show and the performers were drunk that day and didn’t perform they would be booed. Booing works as the media quickly picks up on it and ownership has no choice but to act. If we just cheered players who are underperforming and are getting paid a ridiculous amount of money there would never be no change

#68 jets4848, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How long do you redshirt a guy? Let's face it - he never earned the job. In a business where everyone else needs to earn a position his was gifted to him. Who wouldn't want to have a multimillion dollar job with no accountability? Screw things up for two years then get a sabbatical to contemplate your navel while another guy sells tickets for a year or two then the job you never earned is handed back to you, whether you can perform it or not. Somebody needs to let you, and those setting the terms, know that it's not acceptable to the customers.

#69 Ralebird, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If Zach sucks against the Pats then there will be boo's every time he starts a series or throws a crappy pass but I agree with those who point out this isn't targeting Zach per se but the front office that has put us in this situation.

He's not a bad person with terrible attitude, He didn't cost us extra picks or caused us to miss out on a better QB prospect and he was never touted as 'ready for the big game' coming out of college. He was a huge project player who needed 'redshirted' time and development, not being thrown in at the deep end and handed the label of being the face of the franchise.

I'm sure he's worked hard, studied hard and played as well as he is able to BUT like 99.9999999% of the population - he's just not at the level required to be a starting QB in this league.

*Above all the pro's and con's his very presence on our roster stopped us going in for the current Browns QB. That alone makes him a star in my eyes as acquiring that particular QB would of been the one thing that would of ended my support of the Jets.

LAJet and Nyjets4eva like this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This is the correct answer. Every time. Period.

12. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

It’s part of the job. Zach is getting paid handsomely to deal with it. Don’t feel bad for him.

Ralebird and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I think booing out of the gate is stupid, I hope that doest happen. But if they start screwing it up then yeah, especially the usual culprits. (The offense).

#73 typeOnegative13NY, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

15. rscherwin

Zach was 4 for 5 on 1st down, with his only incompletion being a smart throwaway in that game.

The play-calling and OL put Zach in a bind.

Your booing scapegoated the wrong person.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. rscherwin

Who cares about Zach.

Do you care about winning or having your voice heard?

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. rscherwin

OK, so you think it wasn't fair and perhaps you identify as someone who's had it tougher. Cool. I agree.

If you're a Jet fan, a good Zach is the only way we win an important home game.

Why does all that other "it's not fair BS" matter?

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sadly, playing at a Sam Darnold level would be an improvement...

Ralebird, Cman68 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well an alternate way is that we can have a few picks, a couple of amazing catches from GW and Breece breaking off a few long runs with a perfect kicking game and a ST play.

I admit having all those elements coming together is a more unlikely route to victory then having a decent QB playing an average game but it's not outside the realms of possibility.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bottom line: "Would you rather be happy, or would you rather be right?".

Sadly, too many Jets fans (and other NY fans) would rather be right. They'd rather predict a losing record - even a winless record - and be right, than root against those outcomes. And I understand that. I've done it myself. It's like if you predict the worst, then anything above that is okay, or maybe you engage in what's called "magical thinking", where if you predict a bad outcome you somehow prevent it. In any case, this attitude is deeply ingrained in many people.

But, for ONE GAME, can you suspend your "magical thinking", or your pessimism, and try something different? What can it hurt? Since many of those who will struggle with doing this likely have already conceded that we're going to lose, what else could happen? That you might be proven wr...wr...wrong? I know that may be a psyche shaking concept to grasp, but if you're truly a Jets fan, can you not set aside your fear and your ego for one game, and try something different? Because you know the definition of insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results".

How about trying something sane for a change?

burf, rscherwin and PulseJet like this.