Jets retain their 1st round pick in the 2024 draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 13, 2023.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That wasn't the theory. The theory was our o-line is going to be fine, blah blah blah, - just like every year. Taking McDonald over Harrison last draft was a really boneheaded move for a team that was making a supposed SB push.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Again, Rodgers' injury was not the OL's fault.

I can name plenty of examples of teams having great success with a great QB and a suboptimal OL. I don't think I can say the same for the inverse though.

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. We usually agree, and of course, I always enjoy discussions with you and respect your opinion.

I don't think that Rodgers' injury was solely on the OL, but if Rodgers hadn't gotten sacked, he probably wouldn't have torn his achilles. Granted Brown was just doing what Hackett called for with the cut block, but he didn't do a very good job of it and Rodgers held the ball too long. He knew that Brown would be cut blocking the DE. So it's partially his fault, partially Hackett's, and partially the turf.

To answer your question, having a solid OL would do a lot of good. Just because we don't draft a QB next year doesn't mean that we'd continue to have bottom tier play for the next decade. That's a logical fallacy that I'm surprised that you would make. You're usually more level headed than that. It might mean that we have that for one more year, but not long term. If Rodgers wasn't back in 2025 we could always sign a FA QB then who is better than bottom tier, and/or draft a QB. Like it or not, we're going to be hamstrung by the cap and lack of draft picks next season. Even if Rodgers is back and fully healthy, our depth and maybe even a starter position or two may be downgraded. I doubt that we'll be able to bring in a different backup next year even if Zach shits the bed this year. If Rodgers is back and healthy, then we need to do everything possible to keep him that way, and that means no more of the cut block nonsense. I don't think that Rodgers has had a problem with a lot of his passes getting batted down at the LOS. Drafting a QB next year would be akin to what GB did to Rodgers a few years ago when they drafted Love.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Likewise for everything you led off with in this response!

However, you're also committing a logical fallacy by assuming that whoever we trot out at QB next year WILL get hurt if we don't invest next year's 1st rounder in an OT or improve our OL somehow. The decade+ stuff was just a bit of hyperbole on my part that I thought you would understand. You're right about the cap, we don't have a ton of flexibility for the next few years because of Rodgers' deal so that will certainly hamstring us a bit from a team building perspective but other than our 2nd round pick, we still have all of our "natural" Day 1 and 2 picks. We are down a 5th and a 7th but we're also getting back an extra 4th back so those offset a bit. It's not like we lose a ton of meaningful guys to FA this year, it's basically Lawson, Whitehead, Huff, and Zuerlein. The rest are easily replaced by someone already on the team or through cheap FA options (other notable FAs include: Duane Brown, Dalvin Cook, Chuck Clark, Mecole Hardman, Quinton Jefferson, Randall Cobb, Soloman Thomas, Justin Hardee, etc.) and as we've seen, there's always a way to make a little more cap space.

I do agree that we need to continue to invest in the OL and it's possible that we're not even in a position to take a good QB prospect because they all go before we get to draft this offseason, in that case I think we should absolutely draft an OT if one makes sense. However, if there is a QB prospect that's available when we're on the clock, and it's one the scouting department believes in, I think that's the best move this franchise could make for long-term, sustained success. I'm sure this isn't the last time we'll have this discussion but for now, probably best that we table this and come back to it a little later on in the year!

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's too early to tell if this is a good move.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Of course, if Zach defies the odds and looks good this season, take everything I said in that post and throw it out of the window.

It's way too early to really even have that conversation. Seems like a better conversation to have around Week 14+ once we have a better idea of how the season has played out.

dmw likes this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And even then, JD may very well surprise us again. Fortunately, JD and Saleh have generally been good judges of talent.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I disagree. As I told KY, drafting a QB would be the same thing that GB did to Rodgers when they drafted Love. If we don't keep Rodgers healthy next time, it won't matter what we do. Brown is most likely gone and Becton could be gone. Drafting a QB is out of the question. It has to be an OT.

9. NCJetsfan

No, I'm not committing a logical fallacy. I'm not assuming anything. I'm just stating the fact that it could and probably would happen. Brown most likely won't be back and Becton may not be back either. Who's going to play OT? QBs most often wind up getting hurt when they are sacked or are trying to avoid the rush because their protection breaks down. Even if they don't get hurt, if they're under constant pressure, it affects their accuracy and causes interceptions and failed drives. It's a well-known fact that there is a scarcity of quality OL and OTs in the NFL. I may be mistaken, but I think you have said that if we can get a game manager QB for this season we could still win. If Rodgers is back and starting, he likely won't be as mobile as he has been in the past. Having a strong OL will be all the more important.

Yes, we can table it for now. I will close by saying that we're not far apart on the necessity of drafting a new QB if Zach doesn't develop. If you'll remember in 2021 I was one of those stating that we had to draft a QB rather than build the team first. Well, except for the OL, our team is built. IMO the only 3 pieces we need to ensure that we have a great, competitive team are QB, LT and RT. If Rodgers is back next year and healthy, that takes care of the QB position. If Becton has a good year and is back, that will take care of one of the OT positions. Mitchell has not shown that he can play capably as a starter. Perhaps Warren will be a revelation and show that he can be a quality starter. If so, great, then we could draft a QB, but if not, I think OT will be the biggest need. How many years will we go without the OL being resolved? I think if JD didn't address the OT position and then Rodgers went down with a serious injury again, Woody would fire him, and rightfully so.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It isn’t the same thing as what Green Bay did though. Rodgers has 1 year left, maximum two. They drafted love 3 years ago. They could have potentially had 4 or 5 years of Rodgers before they drafted Love. It is significantly different.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It all depends on how well zach plays this year. The ideal situation would be Zach Not playing well. And then we draft a good quarterback to sit behind Aaron for you two.

12. NCJetsfan

It's slightly different, NOT significantly different. The bottom line is that rather than drafting a player that could help Rodgers, they drafted another QB. That would be exactly the same with the Jets. I'm certain that in his mind, it will be even more important coming off the first really major injury of his career, that he has a strong OL in front of him so that he doesn't get hurt again. I'll also bet that we don't see any more cut blocks with Rodgers at QB.

13. dawinner127

Yeah, dude. I'm sure you can read his mind :rolleyes:

stinkyB likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Ideally, Zach figures it out, and we can use our draft picks to protect them. I doubt that’s going to happen, though.

You know how the Jets do…they play well enough to make you think they can do some thing and fall short in the end, killing their draft position. Unless they find a QB that can operate behind this line they’re looking at about 7 wins again this year. Likely out of range for a top QB prospect.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

It has nothing to do with reading his mind!!!! Why do you want to be a smartass? I've been totally respectful of you and everyone since I came back. It has everything to do with common sense. If you had thought about your response for a second instead of a looking for an opportunity to try to criticize me, you'd have come to the same conclusion, but I guess being petty and small-minded is more important to you.

He will be 40 years old. He was psyched for this season and then saw it go down the drain because of a poorly-executed block. He's not stupid, and he'll know that next season is quite likely his last and he will definitely not want to go down with an injury again, especially considering that he was so healthy in the rest of his career. He's not going to have an attitude such that he doesn't care if he gets injured again or a devil may care attitude. He had already let it be known that he didn't like cutblocks.

16. dawinner127

Ah yes. Personal attacks. Nice. You talk in complete absolutes like your opinion is fact. It isn't. You have absolutely zero idea what is going on in Rodgers mind so don't say you do with complete certainty. You leave yourself open for criticism when you make comments like that.

Also-- He got hurt because he held onto the freaking ball. The play was open, the ball needed to be out when his third step hit the ground. He didn't get hurt because of the OL. That is just bullshit.

Cut the shit with the personal attacks. It's a recurring theme with you when people disagree with your opinions or posts.

Ralebird and abyzmul like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Dude, you were the one making the personal attack and I called you on it. You're trying to gaslight me and it won't work on me. Regardless, I'm done with you. You're the one with the problem. I had to laugh the other day when you said you were gonna take a victory lap because Hall was healthy. You weren't the only one on this site saying that you thought he'd be good to go game 1, but none of the rest of us felt the need to pat ourselves on the back. Have a nice life. I'm done with you.

18. dawinner127

I was the one pounding my chest all off-season about Hall and his recovery saying there is nothing to worry about and posting all of his medical comparisons for 9 months. Plenty of people argued with me over it. GTFO.

Fucking victim.

abyzmul likes this.