Did Joe Douglas do a great turnaround with Jets roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Jul 31, 2023.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Playoffs this year is a must IMHO. But I think it would be Saleh who takes the fall if the season is a disappointment. JD would probably get to hire the next HC but if that were to fail then he most likely is gone. I think they will do well this year. 11-6 and a WC.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think you git it backwards...we were the ONLY team Rodgers wanted to play for.

He's pretty much said as much.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mike Holmgren to the Packers is another one. 4-12 the year before and after he got there they had two losing seasons across 25 years and multiple head coaches.

Fair but I’m sure Walsh had a lot to do with finding him. Douglas had the opportunity to have 6 top 15 picks and hasn’t found a QB yet. We have Rodgers now and all but I can’t imagine the window is any longer than two years. It’ll be curious to see if the Jets have sustained success after those two years, assuming we do have playoff type years the next two years.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's not easy finding a franchise QB. For every Pat Mahomes and Tom Brady there are a shit load of misses.

Also, Holmgren showed up the same year as Favre, a guy the Jets desperately wanted. Just think what could have been if Atlanta didn't trade up to snatch him from us.

If the Jets had ended up with the worst record and drafted Lawrence, what would the narrative be regarding JD?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

But you’re looking at coaches not GM’s…both Holmgren and Walsh were great HC’s, and yeah they also had great QB’s in Montana and Favre, so not sure I follow the comparison

JD picked Zach after Gase that fucking waste cost us the top pick and the shot at Lawrence…had we had that first pick and taken Lawrence instead of Zach last year would have been different. Much different.

So yeah JD whiffed on Zach…at the time I wasn’t sold on either Zach or Fields, and in hindsight, trading out would have been better, but I understand the decision that was made at the time.

I do agree though that this year needs to be a playoff year…but the talent being amassed is impressive…sure we are still suspect at OT, LB, and maybe S or WR (more so depth at WR than lack of talent with the starters), but that list is a lot shorter than it was even 2 or 3 years ago.

6. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

In all actuality you are correct, Gase truly ruined everything.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Niners turnaround went a lot deeper than Montana. Their drafting was exception for several years. The same year they got Montana in the 3rd round they got Dwight Clark in the 10th round. The two seasons leading up to their SB they also drafted Ronnie Lott, Earl Cooper, Eric Wright, Bubba Paris, and Carlton Williamson. All huge players in their day. Trading for Fred Dean at a time when trades were rare. They had a number 1 defense several times. But the biggest change was the introduction of the west coast offense by Bill Walsh.

#47 ouchy, Aug 3, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  8. bicketybam

And the guy who ran it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Does it really matter if it was great or just okay? Players want to come here again, and not just for the check. They want to come here, TO WIN. It's been at least a decade for that to happen.

As I've said over and over, the guy took over an expansion team talent wise. It was never going to be a Rams turn-around, which it helps to have one of the best coaches in the league. Saleh isn't even close to Mcvay.

Every team whiffs on picks. The great Bill Belichek who I saw mentioned and his prowess for drafting late in the 1st has looked like an idiot the last few years with his picks. Becton/Wirfs. He went LT over RT. Most GM's are gonna do that when you have 0 legit talent on the line. I'm with you guys on all the trade downs to pick Mims but Moore is a legit talent. He's not the only WR in the league who would've been upset in his role. They ALL talk shit.

Coaches, GM's, and players legit did not want to come here before JD. He's not going anywhere

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

MLF and his handling of the offense didn't do JD any favors.

NCJetsfan and mattyd99 like this.
  11. bicketybam

If Douglas gets fired after the season he will have another job in a NY minute.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and mattyd99 like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t think you’re quite understanding the amount of influence that coaches had on teams back then. Scouting wasn’t a multimillion dollar business with advanced analytics, mountains of digital resources and such.

Not to mention I gave several quick turnarounds of modern day regime changes that didn’t take 5 seasons, nor did they include HOF quarterbacks.

13. bicketybam

2012 Chiefs coach: Romeo Crennel

2013 Chiefs coach: Andy Reid

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. bicketybam

2016 Rams had a Fassel and Fisher as the head coach.

2017 Rams had Sean McVay.

I think I'm sensing a pattern

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Man. You don't like Joe D one bit do you. Lol

It is year 1. One is a pass rusher and other one a Center. Give them another year if you don't mind. :)

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

So Gase and Bowles paired with Maccagnan were dynamic duos? Maccagnan couldn’t even get a job as a scout after getting the boot.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

So Gase and Bowles paired with Maccagnan were dynamic duos? Maccagnan couldn’t even get a job as a scout after getting the boot.

18. bicketybam

I was thinking more along the lines of Reid being a Hall of Fame coach and Sean McVay being a really good one.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

QB could be an issue even if Zack DOES improve. Joe has to pick up Zack's 5th yr option at the start of Zach's 4th year, which is coming up less than a year from now! It will be interesting to see how Joe handles having TWO QBs on the roster. The present, and the future.

I said in another post that one reason Aaron may have taken a pay cut is to allow JoeD to keep both QBs on the roster long term (2 yrs). Aaron is all in on developing Zack, and wants Zack to take over for him when he retires.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'll give the guy one more chance, and I'll credit him if this year's team lives up to the hype. Not before lol.

Brook! likes this.