Rodgers reworks contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jul 26, 2023.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If he’s not on the team in 2025 he doesn’t make the 37.5 salary….

The 75m guaranteed for 2 years is the prorated bonuses and the minimal base salary. The 37.5 isn’t guaranteed but if AR wants a 3rd year, that’s his salary.

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

:p:D

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

If somebody had told me a few short years ago... or even a short year ago that I might start turning into an Aaron Rodgers fan?

What is happening here?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Rodgers put his money where his mouth is.

Pretty fucking amazing...

Brook! and bicketybam like this.
  5. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think only the 1st 2 years are guaranteed (so the $75 million), but if he retires after 2 year then the remaining prorated signing bonus would still count against the salary cap (3x14.5M + $7million), so that's where the $51.5 million comes from - its really the difference between what he'd been paid to date when he retires and the salary cap hits to that date. If he retires after June 1 b4 the third year, then I think that would be split over 2 years, so $25 million/year which they could do without too much pain. I believe that the void years accelerate if the player is no longer with the team, so once he retires the void years would all immediately count against the salary cap. If the third year option is exercised, then he gets a salary of $37.5M for year 3 and that, with the prorated portion of the signing bonus for the year, results in a $51.5 salary cap hit in year 3. Essentially, if he continues playing into year 3, then they have the $51.5 million salary cap hit in year 3, but if he retires before that then so long as they treat his retirement as occurring after June 1, then they can split it over 2 years. If he plays the 3 years and then retires, then they'd have the $35 million dead money salary cap hit (which is the total of the remaining prorated bonuses) in year after the third year but it could also be split over 2 years if he retires after June 1. If he continues to play after year 3, then the void year cap hits would continue to apply, but obviously he'd be receiving a salary for those years (which would likely be significant) and another signing bonus that would also be prorated over the remaining years of the contract.

I haven't seen the actual contract, but this is how I would read that chart.

Brook! likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Time for Mosely to do the same. The guy is so overpaid.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It is being reported that Rodgers wanted an ownership stake in the Jets as part of his contract negotiations. Ironically, at the same time last week the owners voted against giving ownership stakes to players because it could effect the cap balances, and some teams are more valuable. What this very possibly means is the Jets and Rodgers have a handshake deal that when he retires he gets a percentage of the Jets. Rodgers could become part of the organization for a very long time.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...to-know-about-bengals-steelers-ravens-browns/

LAJet likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Likewise, a league source tells PFT that Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers attempted to secure equity in his contract discussions with the Jets.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ms-were-among-the-players-jostling-for-equity

Color me skeptical.

ouchy likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Cook admires what Rodgers did so much, and what the Jets are building, then he needs to do the same. He needs to accept a cheaper contract if he really wants to be a part of the team.

Borat likes this.
  10. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

I gotta say. Good on this guy. Maybe we all need a week of tripping and darkness.

I also think he might have just hated Green Bay and is feeling refreshed. Whatever it is, he's changed my mind on him from the last few years