What Would You Take for Becton Right Now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jul 20, 2023.

Tags:
?

What would it take for you to trade Becton RN?

1. 2024 and 2025 1sts

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. 2024 1st

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 2024 2nd

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  4. 2024 3rd

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Anything

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. 2024 1st and Bakhtiari

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Im with you on this 100%. Turner is not a starter and even as a back up is iffy at best. He was awful in his last year and AR knows that. What troubles me is why wasn’t Becton given a shot with the first team. I’m getting a bit put out with Saleh blowing glowing smoke about Becton on one breadth and not giving him chances to prove it, keeping him away from getting acquainted with AR.

NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear you regarding Saleh and I agree. JD should tell Saleh in no certain terms that Becton is a part of this team and is going to continue to be as long as he stays healthy and plays well, and that he needs to be given reps with the starting unit beginning now.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My take on Becton not being with the 1's right now is they're trying to ease him into the rotation and making sure he's 100% healed and healthy. I could be wrong, but I can't see where Turner is better better than him.

In any case, I can't see them trading him this year because IDT they can get anything near what he's worth to the Jets even as a backup. As I've said before, and several others have said, they're best tack is to hang onto him unless they get at least a 2nd rounder next year, and hope he can play himself into a strong starting Tackle over the course of the season. At that point I would hope to trade him for a 1st rounder.

LAJet, Jets79 and burf like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I hope that you're right about easing him in, and that Saleh doesn't have some issue with Becton.

If he plays himself into a strong starting tackle, why would you want to trade him? Chances are you won't be able to draft anyone better than him. Brown probably won't be back next year, if he makes it through this year. Mitchell's not a lock to be a strong RT. We need to get the OL pretty much set. We don't need to go into next season having to draft another OT early unless absolutely necessary.

#44 NCJetsfan, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    Jets79 likes this.
  5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

(For some reason, the board wasn't letting me post... there was no reply button)...
    changed browsers...

I agree totally. When I read Hughes' take earlier today, I was dumbfounded by his read of the situation.
    I never expected him to be thrown in head-first.
    It makes total sense to ease him into the mix, after his past injury issues.
    Why these media geniuses always seek to seed controversy, is appalling.
    It's not like there aren't enough stories, & angles, to cover this TC.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily trade him at that point, but I'd consider it given:

1. His injury history.
    2. Not knowing if this year was an outlier because it was a contract year, and if he signed a big new contract I'd be afraid he'd revert to his "Refrigerator" mode..

I'd much prefer to upgrade the T position with someone more dependable and better.

papapump and Jets79 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I can understand the dependability issue until he can stay healthy for a whole season. If he plays up to anywhere near his potential, imo you won't find anyone better. IMO he has HOF potential.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The knee injury was never a few weeks thing. I'm not sure why they said it was but his knee was so fucked up that it was never even treated properly when it happened. The medical staff blew that one. By not addressing it, it lead to his subsequent injury. That's two years lost because GVR is a sack of shit and the Jets medical staff sucks.

That said, he gained a ton of weight and that didn't help. My guess is he was totally demoralized. But regardless, he shouldn't have gained the weight.

I think Becton will be great this year. I really do.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well he definitely has the potential to be great and dominant and rag doll people downfield. We saw it his rookie year.

If he can play to his potential, I think our OL can be very good as long as AVT comes back strong, the rookie C develops as expected…not a sure thing on all of those but not all doom and gloom either

There’s reason to hope

10. NCJetsfan

There's definitely reason to hope!

If Tomlinson has a bounceback season under Carter, Tippman develops, and Becton is either at LT or RT, we could have a very dynamic OL. I'm not worried about AVT. He will great and likely have an All-Pro type season. If Becton is at RT, the right side of our OL will maul people in the run game. I believe that Tomlinson is a better run blocker than pass blocker, and if Becton is at LT, the same kind of thing could happen on the left side. Our rushing attack should be very good regardless of who is playing RB. I'm not certain whether Mitchell is a better run or pass blocker, but if he's at least an average run blocker, and Becton plays up to his potential, then we could have a top 10 OL, if not a top 5. The key is for the line to develop chemistry and stay healthy.

I'm hoping that they will start playing Becton at LT tomorrow so he can begin shaking off the rust. Then when Brown gets back they can have a real competition. I reallly think that Becton can beat out Brown if he's fully healthy.

11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Didn't vote, I think it would be a terrible idea to trade Becton right now.

NCJetsfan and NY Jets68 like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

CC, I hope you are right about Becton, but Turner IMO is not the answer.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agreed…I was a bit concerned hearing the reports on camp how Becton was beat by speed rushers a few times…that was happening in camp two years ago as well…totally still too early to make anything of it for sure, but it bears watching

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.