Denzel Mims (Traded to Lions - Released by Lions)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Like I said during draft season, “the Jets don’t have leaks”

It may have pissed you off but it served it purpose.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

A team can’t contact his agent without the Jets permission; that’s the very definition of tampering. Beyond that, that would only work if they are the only team that wants him. If not they run the risk of not getting him if another team is willing to trade for him.

5. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Thread title is fake news

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Better than nothing I suppose, why not get that 6th instead of 7th in 2025 for WR #6? Better than waiving, but too bad we wasted a 2nd round pick on this guy in 2020. Hopefully Becton will rejuvenate his career, as right now that 2020 draft looks atrocious.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Is the 6th in 24 or 25? And it's a conditional 6th, do we know more details?

Sent from my IPhone 43 using Tapatalk V.86

8. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Bye Denzel.

Thank you for all your hard work and contributions to the team for the last three years.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

9. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

at least we got something.

Losmeister and Baumeister like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Rodgers looked at some tape and said, "Trade him to Detroit!"

Fiftynine and NYJalltheway like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

never let facts get in the way of a good rant....

JetBlue likes this.
  12. bicketybam

He has to make Detroit's roster in order for the Jets to get the pick. Fingers crossed!

13. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Guess I better ot this up for sale :(

[​IMG]

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Common practice. Basically, at the time of Costello's writing they already knew they could not find any decent value for him, and were going to release him anyway. At that point it's essentially a fire sale, basically let everyone know we will take ANYTHING for him from a team that is relatively low in the waiver order, because otherwise though he will be waived, he will likely be claimed by a team with higher waiver priority.

A 6th/7th pick swap two years from now is just about the lowest value you can get. Still worked out as good as it could have under these sad circumstances since something is better than nothing. And Detroit ensured they got a guy with good physical tools that may benefit from a chance of scenery for cheap. Oh and by the way, they can waive Mims at any time before 53 man roster is finalized and they don't owe the Jets anything. Truly a no lose situation for them and possibly little something for us.

#54 Borat, Jul 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Garrett Wilson did great with crappy QB play. What's Mim's excuse? He's just not that good, at least not yet.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

IMO its a good deal for the Lions because they will gameplan to his strengths rather than expect him to be a cog in a system. And he wont be with Wilson, which seemed to stunt both Mims and Moore. His numbers should rise pretty dramatically.

17. bicketybam

How did the Jets gameplan him to take penalties and drop passes? I'm sure he will be a little better with a QB not named Wilson but there seems to be something lacking with the mental part of his game. And he's a shitty route runner.

dmw likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Mims' issues had a whole lot more to do with Mims than anyone else.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they will play him outside where he belongs. He will fit the bill as their deep threat until Jameson Williams comes back from suspension

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO, the pick wasn't necessarily wasted. He was a good fit for the Peyton Manning offense, er, I mean the Adam Gase offense. Mims has to shoulder blame for the immature way he handled it all, but MLF totally mishandled Mims. You don't expect a 2nd round draft pick to play STs and you don't expect him to have to learn all 3 WR positions before he plays, especially after he was injured and missed time. You give him a package of plays while he's learning the rest so that he can get experience, build confidence, and contribute.

I fault JD for hiring Saleh and not Daboll. He knew he was going to be drafting a QB with the #2 pick. He should have known about Zach's maturity level and that his footwork/fundamentals weren't right for the WCO, so he should have either hired a HC who had experience with developing young QBs like Daboll and who would have run or developed a scheme that fit what Zach could do well (if they planned to start him day one), or he should have brought in a veteran QB to start for a year or two while Zach fixed his fundamentals and learned the complex scheme. I also fault JD for allowing Saleh to hire MLF who had zero experince working with QBs or calling plays and for installing an offense that didn't fit Zach. That's where JD needs to be the "boss" and worry less about reaching consensus with the CS. I doubt whether Greg Knapp would have made things appreciably better for Mims or Zach. He could have advised MLF all he wanted, but MLF was the OC and could have done whatever he wanted.

So basically, it's on JD for hiring the HC and OC who totally mishandled two high draft picks. It's on the players for how they handled it and reacted, but they're kids. JD and the CS are supposed to be the adults in the room.

Borat likes this.