Where will the Jets finish in the division (poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jun 8, 2023.

?

Where will the Jets finish in the AFC East?

1. 1st

34 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. 2nd

40 vote(s)
    43.0%
  3. 3rd

17 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. 4th

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

When you turn over the entire roster you can throw out year one and yes two. Other than that I agree.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't think this current version of the Bills are better than prior versions of this team, In recent years. I think that the window Is closing fast. Then you have the drama with your star WR. I think the age of some of the players will continue to be a factor, I also don't believe that the Bills will get as much support on offense outside of Josh Allen and Diggs. Given, you know, that whole drama gets resolved. I think that the division has been building around stopping the Bills specifically, which should add to the difficulty factor for that team. Injuries can't happen because I don't think your team has great depth If I'm honest.

Then the mistake aspect of that team, seems to happen a lot, no? Can they overcome those things that cost them significantly? Josh Allen, hasn't been the best In the turnover department either, which could be a factor too In the end.

I'm not saying they are trash. I'm not saying they wont be good. However, If I were to bet, I would bet that your team's window for opportunity Is closing real fast, If It's not already closed.

..and, fuck the Dolphins. I'll believe It when I see It.

KingRoach and bicketybam like this.
  3. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I see people repeating this idea that a “window to win” is closing for the bills and I cannot understand what that means. Teams with the best QBs win, and the bills have a top 3 qb. He’s not old, either, he’s 26 and entering the prime of his career which he’ll probably be for a very long time since QBs last longer. The bills have a top 10 head coach and top 5 gm and they just signed extensions and aren’t going anywhere. That top 5 gm fills out the roster nicely each year and the whole organization seems to be in lockstep. I can’t for the life of me think why anyone would surmise that they won’t continue to win in the coming years.

Then there’s the other weird narrative that Allen is some interception machine whose picks will keep the bills from winning. Bills were 13-3 last year. Allen threw 14 ints last year, and Super Bowl winner Mahomes threw 12, Burrow threw 12, and your boy Rodgers also threw 12. I don’t think 2 more ints should somehow generate this strong of a narrative, but then again, often times one person says something in the sports world and then everyone else simply repeats it without analyzing it.

I do worry about the WR position beyond this year, but that’s down the line. Beane has done a fantastic job at building the roster (which is much better than years past btw) and I have nothing in front of me to suggest that won’t continue.

The division is much better so I expect the bills to have more losses, and potentially not even finish in first, but I think that’s a function of the jets and dolphins catching up and not the bills falling back.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

0-17
    dead last

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think McDermott holds the Bills back. He did a good job in getting the organization turned around. After 17 years of no playoffs both he and Beane have a done a good job with that. But I don't know if McDermott can get the Bills over the hump and win a championship. He and Frazier should have been fired after 13 seconds. There was no excuse for losing that game to KC. He was outcoached in both playoff games last year against the Fins and Bengals. Miami almost won that game with a scrub at QB. McDermott = Marvin Lewis. Winning regular season coach but fails in the playoffs. The Bills are 0-4 on the road in the playoffs with him as coach. HOU, JAC, KC (2).

6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

McDermott went to multiple super bowls as a coordinator with both Carolina and Philly, and learned under Andy Reid and Rob Rivera - he knows what a championship team looks like and what it takes to get there. I don’t see a more qualified candidate quite frankly. With Allen handling the offense, McDermott taking the defense seems like a logical plan to me.

The 0-4 stat is misleading. 2 of those games were early in his career, when the bills accidentally backdoored their way into the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB. They lost to the jags who lost in the last few drives of the 4th quarter against Brady in the AFC championship game. The Houston game was Allen before he was Allen, when everyone said he sucked in his 2nd year (even though he didn’t). The rest of the time he’s won home games since he had such a good record in the regular season.

Last year the bengals were the better team, period. Our roster was dogshit and the bengals had pro bowlers all over the place on both sides of the ball. The bills were depleted by injury and emotion. If McDermott was losing to inferior teams I would agree with you, but that hasn’t been the case.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You guys are arguing with someone who has the Red and Blue goggles on and won't remove them to have an objective conversation. Beane has been garbage as a GM.

Beane was hired in 2017 and the last incredible draft the Bills had, Beane wasn't even the GM for it. The Bills are in cap hell right now and haven't drafted a probowler in 4 years and Beane has never drafted an all pro player. They are in cap hell and just gave Dalton Knox 4/52 which is the same as Dallas Goeddart. I know which TE I would rather have. Ed Oliver 4 for 68? Really? They lost Edmunds who is a very solid player. They still have question marks at RB (both starter and RB2 in Harris), CB2, and have no one at WR2. They also have serious questions about a legit pass rusher. We are really going to trust Von Miller coming off a second knee injury? At this age? Please.

$5m in cap space for 2023 and $-24 million in cap space for 2024.

Diggs got the bag, but guess what, you could have had Justin Jefferson with the pick you traded for Diggs. Oh, and Jetts wouldn't be $20+ million against the cap.

The Bills window is closing and it's only a matter of time before Allen gets injured similar to Cam Newton since they both have/had absolutely reckless play styles

#67 dawinner127, Jul 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    IIMeanDeanII and KingRoach like this.
  8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I disagree that their window is closing. Allen is still young and one of the best QB's in the league. Also, they did go 13-3 last year despite many injuries which all teams deal with. But 2 of their home games were moved to Detroit and they had a player die momentarily on the field. Thankfully they were able to bring him back. That is a lot for a team to have to deal with and they still won 13 games. The Jets won 7. Rodgers will obviously help close the gap, but will it be enough. They are still the best in the division until proven otherwise.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh, all of that is well and good but they’ll be able to shed a lot of salary at the end of the year as most teams do when they gear up like this and the cap looks bleak a year ahead.

Oliver and Knox were somewhat overpaid but they’re both good players. I like what they did in adding Harris but I don’t get why they haven’t tried to go find a bell-cow or tried to go find a real stud blocking interior lineman and take some pressure off Allen in frigid temperatures.

Home field advantage is somewhat useless for the Bills because they can never run the ball. This is the first year where they actually looked to try to improve that after the Bengals bullied them.

10. dawinner127

The window closing to me means that the rest of the roster will deteriorate because you're paying your QB an absurd % of the cap and the GM is incompetent. Beane hasn't had a good draft in half a decade. What has he done to show he can build the roster while paying Allen + having Diggs count for $31 million next year and $23 million in 2025 while being 32 years old. He has made abysmal signings and absolutely ruined their cap beyond belief.

There is no doubt that the Bills will remain competitive for as long as Allen remains healthy, but their GM needs to be way better if they want to remain one of the elite teams in the NFL.

Go check out overthecap and take a look at who they are going to have to cut to get under the cap in '24. They are going to be losing quality starters if that's the route they want to take next year. The year for the Bills to win was in 2022 and they missed it because of an epic collapse.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

KingRoach and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

F the bills

they lost their defensive anchor in Edmunds and their do-it-all running back that they didn't seem to want to use in Singletary.

On top of that Diggs is becoming a headache, the offensive coordinator is in over his head and the division is much better. The window is closing for them

12. BrowningNagle

Knox was way overpaid. That was a terrible decision that has cost them other starters already

13. Jonathan_Vilma

If they cut Nyheim Hines, Mitch Morse (32 next year) and Taron Johnson they’re pretty much there. Add in a couple restructures and they’ll be fine.

It’s not a great cap situation obviously but teams navigate stuff like that all the time.

14. dawinner127

Sure. They'll get under the cap, but they are losing their starting center, they still have no CB2, no WR2, and no pass rush. Add in that Von Miller is 35 counting for $24 against the cap and Diggs is 31 counting for $27 against the cap. It isn't pretty whatsoever.

Anyways, sorry to get this thread derailed about the Bills future.

They are still the team to beat in the AFC and I think it'll be a battle all the way to week 18 for the division crown. I don't see Tua playing all 17 and they didn't do much to help that OL. That guy is going to get murdered.

KingRoach likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

The Von deal was the most perplexing. He was clearly on the downhill slope of his career. He was a nice boost for the Rams next to Aaron Donald in a mid-year run. He was on pace for 12-13 sacks but no chance that contract was going to work out long term.

You’re not detailing the thread. It’s an AFCE division prediction thread.

I also think there’s something wrong with Tua even before he got concussed. The guy has no idea how to brace his fall. If you look at his concussions, he literally leads with his fucking head. I’ve never seen anything like it. Part of it could be that he doesn’t feel the rush well, but still. I’ve never seen a dude bounce their head off the turf as many times as he does.

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. dawinner127

Throw in the fact that he considered retirement b/c of the head injuries. That has got to be something that is sitting in the back of his head every time he gets hit.

17. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Second place. Wild Card. 10-7.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

18. BrowningNagle

I dont blame them for going after Von Miller. They knew they had a short window so they tried to maximize it with a HOF pass rusher. They knew they would be in this situation with that contract by 23 but they were hoping to have a lombardi by now, hahaha bills

giving that contract to Knox though WTF that was braindead. I think his brother or somethin died that week so they wanted some feel good news but damn, a contract like that??? Guys like Knox are found off the street, literally

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Those are just opinions from a Buffalo Bills fan though. Who says the HC Is top 10 and the GM Is top 5? Where can I find that fun fact?

Also.. I think Josh Allen Is really good. I don't think he Is good enough to carry a team on his back though. Hence.. Window of opportunity. I think he needs a fairly significant roster around him to have a chance at It. Again.. Hence, window of opportunity.

If the team around Josh Allen Isn't good enough, It won't happen. I don't think this roster Is as good as years past.

Dan Marino wasn't old at one point too.. Hell of a fucking QB. Too bad he couldn't carry them to the promised land on his own.

As for the turnovers. It's not just interceptions, obviously.

Josh Allen 14 INT, 13 FUMBLES = 27
    Patty 12 INT, 5 FUMBLES = 17
    Rodgers 12 INT, 8 FUMBLES = 20
    Burrow 12 INT, 6 FUMBLES = 18

That Is significant If you think about the potential for a turnover each game and how that may alter the game. On the surface It doesn't sound like a lot but It really Is when you look at It from the bigger picture.

..but, hey, beauty of all this.

We shall see. Soon enough.

KingRoach and dawinner127 like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think this is as good a place to put this as any.

Josh Allen has a bit of a bitch habit of getting into fights on the field and then running away and letting his teammates finish them. I've seen it enough times to call it a pattern, also saw it happen last year during an intra squad scrimmage.

Kind of puts a tarnish on that whole good guy yokel persona.