Jets sign Randall Cobb

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 3, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Cobb is a great signing on the cheap for #5/#6 guy, who is coming off a solid season in spite of his age. I mean he basically has same # of yards and receptions as Moore. Plus he will help install the offense. Great rounding out of the roster move move by JD.

But we still need Davis. Davis can actually benefit the most from having Rodgers. Guys like Hardman, Cobb, and Lazard already played with HOF top QBs. Davis's best QB was Tanny, and he did quite well with him: 65 catches and around 900 yards for two out of 3 years. It's possible he can become a solid #2 guy with Rodgers throwing him the ball, like he was with Tanny. I hope Jets keep him. I like the WR room now, even though we did not get OBJ. It's not great like Miami's but it is very good, and has some potential. Without Davis it takes a step back (unless we get an OBJ like replacement).

KingRoach, azhar80, chandler and 2 others like this.
  3. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Are we gonna wake up tomorrow to news that Jordy Nelson has been signed?

BrowningNagle and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If not he goes from #5 to #6 WR and Mims becomes #5. No biggie. But it's probable he still has something to contribute and will help younger guys with the offense. Not a bad move.

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

adios C Davis... the signing looked good on paper but... Cobb is a solid pro and can help th eothers KNOW what AR WANTS from them

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess I don't see where Corey Davis fits, at least for 11 million. Does anyone think he's going to get more than a pittance of targets from Rodgers? They brought in Lazard to play the role that Corey Davis plays and Lazard is a Rodgers guy. I can see him traded early in camp. There's always some freak injury on day one on a contending team that sets them panicking. They can get something for Corey from a desperate team.

ColoradoContrails, papapump and ouchy like this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t think this affects Corey Davis. Cobb is a slot receiver. Reality is Hardmann was our only slot guy. And what has he proven? He’s a solid return guy but while he’s dangerous with the ball, he’s not a proven guy that can move the chains. Cobb is. Hardmann is going to get alot of the gadget plays and 1st and 2nd down plays. Cobb will be our reliable 3rd down alot receiver. Think pf him like Cotchery.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We signed Cobb for 3 million guaranteed and with the potential to go as high as 4 million if he produces. Didn't see the conditions that would make it 4 million.
    This is a little more than twice the cap hit Moore had, and slightly larger than the contract Berrios got.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Berrios and Cobb had similar 2021's but Cobb's 2022 blew Berrios's out of the water. "Slightly larger than the contract Berrios got" seems like the correct market value.

azhar80, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Except Berrios was playing with Jets QBs and Cobb was playing with AR. Berrios also gets special teams money.
    Cobb got 3 times more guaranteed money than we gave Hardmann, (1 million), and likely twice his cap hit this season.

Its an expensive signing. Hopefully it pans out.

azhar80 likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

$3 mil is not expensive. Not at all. I don't think anyone bats an eye if you say "Cobb and Berrios have the exact same guaranteed money and Cobb could earn $500k more than Berrios based on incentives".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I batted an eye at it? 3 million guaranteed is expensive for an ancient Randall Cobb. He is currently our most expensive slot receiver, and tied with Lazard for 3rd most expensive receiver on the team this year (Lizard will balloon to over 12 million next year though). Kind of hard to not believe Davis isn't going to be gone and our WR room hasn't declined to make 12 comfortable.

Again, hopefully it pays off with Cobb having a 500 yard season.

13. BroadwayAaron

"Most expensive slot receiver"
    "Tied with Lazard for 3rd most this year"

Those things sound daunting until you realize you're only talking about $3 million against the cap.

KingRoach and Borat like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I was wondering if C Davis even showed up at OTAs. Have not seen any pictures of him

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Cobb is AR security blanket when in serious trouble and needs to extend the chains. Cobb almost leads the league in that area. I can’t think of better protection for AR till the rest of the WRs learn his expectations.
    Also as we enter the season the WR corps might be a bit different, depending on trades, preseason performance and God forbid injury

16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Don't forget Izzy & Kuntz.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that Izzy could conceivably make a big contribution this year. I'll be surprised if Kuntz is ever active and sees the field except in preseason. Based on what I've read about him, he's extremely raw and needs a lot of work. You can't teach height however, so he may see some action in the red zone where Rodgers can just throw up it up and let him catch it.

18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I hear this guy Lizard rooms with the Geico Gecko

RochesterJet likes this.
  19. ArodtoJennings

ArodtoJennings Active Member

You guys are stealing our whole team.

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

100%!!! Freak injuries happen and a team with playoff hopes will want a deep WR unit… wait a second, WE’RE a team with playoff hopes

LAJet likes this.