The D was not good last year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jjt4201, Apr 26, 2023.

1. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Throughout the season, at certain points the defense was incapable of stopping teams from scoring. There were some good games, but by then end of the season, they didn't seem to be able to stop teams from moving down the field. I am aware that they were ranked highly (4th?) but then they went ahead and let our interior walk in the offseason.
    I am confused how anyone thinks we are heading to the Superbowl when the strengths of the team which powered the team's 2022's early season mini-run was the run game and defense, which are both huge question marks at the start of the season. I think it was incredibly short sighted to let another set of excellent interior lineman walk for nothing with no real plan to address it. The lD-Line's chemistry and ability to clog the lane for our small LBs was a huge part of the effective defense play (along with elite CB play on the outside).

2. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Gee, you better contact Pro Football Focus because they had this to say about the 4th ranked Defense in 2022

4. New York Jets
    It took a year, but Robert Saleh‘s defense is finally on point.

Stingy against both the run and the pass, young players like Sauce Gardner are stepping up in a big way and making an immediate impact.

Jets GM Joe Douglas has also hit on a few key free-agent acquisitions, including D.J. Reed and Carl Lawson. If the Jets can figure it out on offense, this team could do some damage.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Last 5 games of the season was a disgrace. Offense was terrible and Defense wasn't great either. I want to think our defense gave up after offense kept not scoring points.

With Rodgers at QB our offense is guaranteed to be above average. Our success will depend on how our defense will stop Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Herbert in the playoffs and Jalen Hurts in regular season.

In short, I too am nervous about our Defense regarding Playoff success. Fingers crossed.

4. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I watched every game last year, and there was nothing at all to suggest that the defense was good in any way all by the end.
    A. The Patriots as usual, exposed the schematic simplicity of the Jets scheme and gave the blueprint to the rest of the league (which rendered the Def useless practically for the rest of the season).
    B. Playoffs and Championships are still won with defense and run game. The Jets were incapable of running the ball by the end of the season, and this is sure to continue going forward unless they either greatly improve the line, or obtain another elite RB. Notice I haven't mentioned the QB? That's because
    C. The QB doesn't matter if the team is pretending like it's built as the one in weeks 4-7 of last season and is in actuality a weak interior, strong outside defense with small straight line LBs who can't get separation, with a crap line and no run game.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They weren't the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs, but it's hard for a defense to dominate all game when theyre on the field the whole time thanks to the offense repeatedly going 3 and out

#5 stinkyB, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    NCJets, CJLang, Fiftynine and 9 others like this.
  6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Better sustained offensive possessions = more rest = more explosion off the ball = profit

Jojo and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The defense had to pitch a shutout because the O couldn't score a touchdown We didn't score a touchdown in the final 3 weeks of the season.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

AtlantaJet and KingRoach like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can only imagine what you think of last year's offense...

10. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Fair point. Not sure how much that intersects with the team politics which played out over QB play. Woody, decided to burn the youthful - inspired by talent and fairly selfless team atmosphere to the ground and grabbed the absolute worst QB for team chemistry, and also ensured the backup plan is WIlson, so I expect the bi-product to look EXACTLY like last year ( despite of all that I said about the rest of the team not looking great. )

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The Jets D was exactly what you need in today’s era. If we’re fielding the 85 Bears then you have no offense because you can’t afford it. It’s why as much as I love QW, I’m not an advocate for re-signing him. With the exception of CB and a pass rushing DE the defense should be fielded with young, athletic guys on their first contracts peppered with some blue chip veterans at MLB and S to call the defense and make adjustments. KC’s D is good enough. BUF’s D is good enough. Our D is good enough. If you want to win these days ou need an O that can put up 30 points regularly and a D that creates turnovers.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What are we doing here?

jjt4201, KY Jets Fan and stinkyB like this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

That's an interesting take, but I'm not sure they would actually be so pridless as to do that. Zach Wilson lost the D - the entire locker room, really - when he fingerpointed over his dog shit play and didn't take any personal responsibility. It made them all justifiably angry. I'm not feeling dogging it in retaliation. I think it was more of a team suck/coaching suck effort. Most of those 2nd half of the season losses were so inexcusable I couldn't even pinpoint specifically what was wrong because it all was.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

15. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

It's hard to make comment when all those teams you mention have more than just good enough defenses and obviously the 85 Bears/00 Baltimore teams are on different level. But there are certain X-factors to those teams with either elite defense, elite QB play, and or elite Coaching, all of which play a part in getting sustained success in the league.

16. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

I think you are dismissing the synergy on the field. Offense and defense are not independent of each other, like ying and yang they are complimentary. There is a huge difference between bottom 5 Time of Possession team trotting out their gassed and disheartened defense after another 3 and out versus playing with a lead, Rodgers, and Hall.

Brook! likes this.
  17. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I agree that the D was good not great, but they should suffice with a competent offense that can score points and simply get 1st downs.

A. The most frustrating thing to me about the Patriots games is that the D could NOT tackle Rahmondre Stevenson, it was so frustrating. THey need to wrap up his legs and wait for help to arrive. You can't be a GREAT D if you can't make tackles consistently.

B. The run game should be much improved as long as we don't get DECIMATED again by injuries at the tackle position specifically. But there's no guarantee that Breece will make a Adrian Peterson-esque rebound from the ACL

18. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

One thing I will say, is the Jets sure can draft talent, so maybe we find some ways to fill the gaps and make a run.

19. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

The D was good when the team was at it's peak running the ball and scoring points. Although, you have to factor in the backup QBs that they played those weeks. The defense played great against the Bills though, but that's divisional games for you. Seahawks game was atrocious.

20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Yes, Elite QB play. An offense that can score 30 regularly. That’s what we’re going for in Rodgers. None of those teams have elite D’s. I watched KC’s D get torched many times. They win because Mahomes can put up so many points. Our D is just as good as KC’s or BUF’s any day of the week, and until we have to actually invest a lot of money into any one player on D (QW for example) our D will only get better.