Did the Jets give up too much for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Apr 25, 2023.

?

Did we give up too much?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That’s all well and good and it’s what a professional would do. I have my doubts about his excitement level when we’re 2-4 in October.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Forgive me for not assuming we'll be 2-4 in October.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's the plan anyway. lets hope the cap space rumors are true and rodgers is healthy and playing at a high level in 2024

4. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Bump this post till the end of next season when I can really answer this question

stinkyB and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

yeah I mean, he's participating in the offseason workouts. That used to be considered the bare minimum, not something to celebrate over

JohnnyJet and Cman68 like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You can always give your opinion now AND at the end of the season/beginning of next year!

That's why I gave everyone the ability to change their vote!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's old school thinking right there BN...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

The topic was about Rodgers not having the desire to play anymore. The fact that he notoriously skips offseason workouts but is taking part in them here would argue directly against that, hence why I brought it up. I'm not celebrating the fact that a football player is showing up to practice.

9. BrowningNagle

odd response. I didn't say anything about you specifically. Everybody is talkin about his alleged decision to show up to practice

10. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

The current answer is TBD. If we go all the way, then No. Any other outcome, then Yes.

Cosmo, Cman68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

No. If Rodgers performs as expected, the Jets will not miss that 1st round pick (which will hopefully be at the bottom of the round) in 2024 or any other they gave up. If he doesn't perform as expected or gets injured, too bad, that's the price you pay gambling on a 40 year old QB.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

It's odd that I'm responding to someone who is talking about the same topic as me? Odd response.

13. BrowningNagle

Well you made it about yourself and your comment and it wasnt

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Swapping the 13th and 15th picks seems like a little much, but it puts Green Bay in a position to take a player that the Patriots may have wanted b/c the Pats are picking 14th. So that's likely not a loss and possibly a gain for the Jets.

15. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Jets got a steal and the only reason it doesn't feel that way is because some people talked themselves into a silly hole of getting a HoF QB for a couple of 5th rounders or some nonsense.

I put near zero weight on "how good the next draft class is". For such a thing to actually carry weight you have to go off the premise that we know wtf we're talking about which history has proven we absolutely do not.

If you win, it's all worth it, case closed. Though I'll say even that is a bit overzealous because by that measuring stick literally every trade that did not result in either team winning a Super Bowl was a "bad trade". That would make almost every trade ever a bad one, which is just silly.

A bit dated but a ten year analysis of picks reveals:
    16.7% didn’t play for the team that drafted them
    37% were considered useless. They either didn’t play much or didn’t make the team.
    15.3% were considered poor. Had limited playing time and didn’t do well in the time they had.
    10.5% were considered average. These are mediocre players that had starts or significant contributions over 2-3 years.
    12.3% were considered good. These could be mediocre or average players that were multi-year starters, Pat Elflein or Christian Ponder for example, or perhaps some genuinely good players that didn’t last all that long for the team that drafted them- Sidney Rice for example. This is where the AV metric can over-rate a player based on the number of starts, rather than their performance while on the field.
    6.9% were considered Great. This category is the first that includes undeniably good draft picks. In order to be considered great, they would’ve had to play for the team that drafted them into a second contract, and also performed well over those years.
    1% were considered legendary. These are future Hall of Famers, multi-year All-Pros among the best in the league for most of their relatively long careers.

And so only about 8% of draft picks are players that really make much of a difference beyond replacement value, and only about 30% see much playing time or make a significant contribution to the team.
    https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/4/12/15274148/most-nfl-draft-picks-are-busts

[​IMG]

Draft picks are like the "mystery box" in the Peter Griffin meme.

The Hackett/Rodgers duo gives the Jets a legit window and the best odds that you've had in decades, THAT makes it a good trade.
    You don't pass up such a great opportunity for a couple of mystery boxes who are very likely to never even move the needle for your franchise.

#35 Mexican Buc, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    TheSnake71, pcmodem, mezzavo and 5 others like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've been making the same point that I bolded repeatedly. Your additional stats drives the point home in spades. To put a finer point on it, even if the Jets were average at identifying good talent - which aside from recently they haven't been - the odds are tremendously against them finding their next FQB in the draft this year or any time soon, so to argue as some have that the Jets are "giving up a great chance to get their FQB" by giving up next year's 1st rounder borders on the ludicrous.

NCJetsfan and UK_Chilts like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh all that is well and good but it’s no mystery that sustained NFL success comes from drafting good players for the system and strategically retaining the ones you do draft (often either at a discount or within a contract that they’re willing to restructure down the road).

I wouldn’t devalue draft picks so much as calling them a mystery box. Tannenbaum used that strategy and we ended up with a scrap heap of aging overpaid players in 2011-2014 that needed a multi-year cap purge and derailed us for half a decade.

At the same time I don’t think the trade is super egregious.

HomeoftheJets and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

The problem is too many Jet fans on here are from Mars. How many people thought the Jets were gonna just wait and wait and get the guy for like a 3rd rounder. That ridiculousness makes the actual cost seem high. It’s Aaron Rodgers who won back to back league MVP’s just a year ago. They were never getting him for what Favre cost.

dmw, Losmeister and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was going to make a separate thread for this, but decided to put it here because I think there will be very little valid response to the questions I'm going to raise to those who don't like this trade:

If you don't think the Jets should've traded for Rodgers - and by that I mean you think they over paid and you would not have done the deal - just what would you do? Keep in mind that you have to put yourself in the shoes of Douglas and Saleh and know that if you don't make the playoffs this year you're likely fired. So with that in mind:

Do you try signing a stopgap QB who may or may not be able to get you to the playoffs? Who would that be, specifically?

Do you try to draft a QB? If so, would you be willing to trade up to get the best QB you can, or would you hope one who can be a FQB falls to #13? If you choose to trade up, what assets are you willing to give up, and how certain are you that some team would find them attractive enough to trade back? Are you pretty certain that one of the QBs in this class can be a FQB? And finally, how quickly can this kid play at a high - playoff caliber - level? Finally, to take this out of the realm of fuzzy assertions, WHO do you think you can reasonably expect to draft this year?

Do you think you can pry Lamar away from Baltimore? If so, do you really think, based on his performance and injury history and his style of play, that he's worth the money you'll have to pay him? If so, how can you be sure that he won't get seriously hurt, perhaps in a way that shortens or ends his career? (I'll agree that other than Rodgers he was the best option available, but that doesn't mean he didn't come without significant risk, greater risk than Rodgers at 39 represents.)

Do you make Zach your QB1 and hope that the lightbulb suddenly blinks on for him, or he continues to struggle and you wind up with a high pick in the 2024 draft that you might be able to use to draft your FQB? If the latter, keep in mind that Jets have almost never identified, and been able to draft and then develop a FQB, so why are you confident they could do so? And, as in the question above about drafting a QB in 2023, WHO specifically do you think you could reasonably draft in 2024 to be your FQB?

Enough of the vague and unfounded "The Jets got fleeced"; "I would've walked away"; "Giving up next year's 1st cripples them". Put specifics into your prediction AND keep in mind you need to make the playoffs this year. Let's hear what you would've done that's better.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and westiedog1 like this.
  20. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

The situation was blown by not signing Carr, who could have been had for less money and no draft compensation on a longer deal, so we aren’t back to looking for a QB in one to two years. IMHO, Carr wanted to come and I believe that Joe and Saleh wanted him, but woody had a woody for Aaron. Carr is not as good as peak Rodgers, but does anybody believe that we are getting peak Rodgers ? Once we chose to pass on Carr then the options narrowed.

JohnnyJet and Ralebird like this.