Aaron Rodgers Main Thread #3

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Rodgers is San Fran

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Shut the hell up he's not going to SF

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah that painted psychopath that Kanye punked out that one time during the Grammys and it turned into a meme.

4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Rodgers is not being traded to the fucking San Francisco 49ers will you people shut the fuck up about that??

AG3 and NYJalltheway like this.
  5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Rogers will be a jet by next Saturday. I suspect we give up one of the #2’s this year and a conditional 4 that can be a 2 if he comes back for 2024

R
    E
    L
    A
    X

Borat and AG3 like this.
  6. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

god i hope not, 2nd and 4th for 0ne year no thank you

Br4d likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's a horrible deal. That's 3 picks that should contribute in exchange for a 2 year answer at QB who might not even have a year in him.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

People here that don't believe this trade will include a second this year and a conditional pick next year that can go as high as a first depending on qualifiers are in complete and absolute denial. We are not getting a future first ballot HOF QB still playing at a very high level for some piss ass third day pick. For Peets sake, the standard for idiotic QB contracts was set high with the Watson and Wilson debacle, continues to be perpetrated with the Jackson hold up and some here still think JD can negotiate a contract that gives GB nothing just to to take AR off their hands. Fact is we are giving them a second this year we didn't have to start with, and if the qualifiers hit for 2024, it will be the best 1st round pick this team EVER traded away. I love it when people say we should get a QB and develop him slowly on one hand, and on the other hand they say Jets are incapable of developing a QB anyhow and will screw it up again. So what is it?. Any young QB should be blessed to watch AR do his magic and learn. Say what you will about him as a person, but as a QB he is beyond special.

KY Jets Fan, twown, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is what I’ve been saying about acquiring Aaron Rodgers without including the first round pick since the rumors started and people want to Joe Douglas fired if that was going to be the case. I would be stunned if there’s no conditional 2024 pick that turns into a first rounder if we reach a certain round of the playoffs or even if he just decides to play in 2024. This is kind of why I hope the draft comes and goes and we still haven’t made the trade. If we can keep the 13th overall and keep our 2024 first round pick that gives us a whole Lotta flexibility moving forward.

SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  10. Br4d

The Jets are 13-37 over the last 3 years. Any stumble at this point will likely get JD fired.

In that light he's definitely going to be in the bring AR on category. However AR doesn't guarantee no stumbles.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

I disagree. What do you wish for when a new regime comes in? You wish for a steady climb up in the right direction. Since hiring JD, our record has gotten better every year. He has made great trades. He has taken action to fill holes in the roster. Not every move is going to work out, but you can't honestly expect to fire him, and have Jesus himself come in and shoot 100% on every transaction. Firing him would be so SOJ.

amuck57 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Br4d

If they have a bad year this year not firing him would be so SOL. Same Old Lions. Kept Matt Millen on the job years after his expiration date.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. NYJalltheway

Well hopefully come next December we don't have to have that argument.

Br4d likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

For those bashing the acquisition of Rodgers, what are the alternatives? Before answering, take into consideration these things:

1. The Jets have the longest non-playoff streak going.
    2. Put yourself in Douglas's shoes and understand that if you don't make the playoffs this year, it will likely be your last.
    3. The team is ready now to make the playoffs and maybe make a run to the SB if everything falls their way - unlikely but still.
    4. Projecting over the next two years, assuming Rodgers stays healthy, there was/is no QB available who has a better chance of delivering #3.

Of course no one can predict the future or what will happen, you can only base decisions based on what has already happened, and combine that with your experience in projecting the right outcome most of the time. Good GMs can do this consistently. Is Douglas a good GM? Well if he doesn't get them to the playoffs and positioned for future success, then no he isn't. But he's shown a well above average ability to acquire talent in the draft and via trades, and on balance an average ability at acquiring FA talent. These are no small attributes, so to call for firing him and losing those traits shouldn't be done lightly. There are likely three things that will determine his future as the Jets GM:

1. They either make or don't make the playoffs this year.
    2. Saleh either shows he's a good HC, or he isn't.
    3. Douglas solves the QB Problem, both in the short term and the long term.

All of this brings it back to the best chance of Douglas (and Saleh) keeping his job is acquiring Rodgers. If he doesn't, the chances of the Jets making the playoffs become very small, and the QB Problem will likely remain unsolved, leaving it up to Saleh to produce a huge growth as HC to save his and Douglas's job - very unlikely.

Despite these stakes, Douglas seems to be not overreacting, and caving into GB's demands. Of course none if us know what Douglas has really offered, but given all the above, it won't surprise me if he ends up giving up one of the 2nds this year, plus a player (likely a receiver since GB is thin there), and a conditional 3rd or 4th next year that can escalate to a 1st if the Jets get to the SB this year or next. For those who complain that Rodgers might not stay healthy because of his age, remember that he didn't really play his first three years sitting behind Favre so he's "young" 39, and he's been pretty healthy his entire career. For those worried that he'll retire after one year, I assume that's where Douglas is demanding some protection from GB on this point, but if Rodgers plays close to his capability, and the Jets make the playoffs and have a shot at making a run, why would Rodgers retire? As to giving up this much draft capital (and possibly a player) because it could be used to potentially improve the talent level of the team, consider that draft picks are not guaranteed to succeed, especially not guaranteed to become studs even if they do become serviceable. This is especially of true of QBs in general, and in the case of the Jets, when have they ever drafted and developed a FQB? Acquiring and holding onto draft picks is a lot like acquiring and holding onto Lotto tickets: they may represent millions of dollars of potential, but the likelihood of that happening is small.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it was useful to try and address the concerns people are expressing about getting Rodgers. At this point in time, I can't see any better alternative.

15. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

This San Francisco rumor certainly sounds like something made up and leaked by the Green Bay front office to put pressure on Woody to gave in to Green Bay's demands. They know Douglas is too smart to fall for it, but Woody?

Jets79 likes this.
  16. Br4d

The more likely alternative to your questions is that the Jets disappoint this year after a Rodgers trade that gives up significant draft liquidity.

Woody is faced with really needing to fire everybody and start over but Rodgers is still around at $50M next year and the Jets draft liquidity is poor. In addition the new GM is going to be staring at a roster they really want to turnover minus a few stars picked in the last few drafts.

The 2009 alternative of firing the HC after the Favre experiment failed but keeping the GM isn't going to work because JD at that point will have presided over the most disappointing 5 years in the last generation.

It's hard to see right now but the Rodgers chase has been about marketing after a failed #2 overall QB pick in 2021. It's fairly unlikely to work out at the level it needs too for the Jets to retain the current regime moving forward. The fact that everybody sees the Jets as a playoff favorite if they acquire Rodgers is just a massive over-promise and under-deliver likelihood.

It's marketing at it's worst extent for the Jets.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On the roads it was a white line nightmare...

Dierking likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

seriously. How hard is it for you to wake up and get out of bed in the morning?

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don’t get this at all. With AR and a healthy core for a change we are better than NE, Miami, and we can give Buffalo a run for the money in a tough division. Short of KC, Buffalo and Cincinnati I don’t see anyone else having a significant upper hand on us for the playoffs, Chargers included. and let’s not start when the injuries pile up, because that is clearly not exclusive to the Jets. On paper, we have a damned good shot at the playoffs, like any other good team. This will put the Jets in the best season success position in ages.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Last year's 7-10 record was a lucky 7-10 record given the number of backup QBs we faced in the first half. If we don't significantly upgrade our own QB, we're going to go in the wrong direction this year, and that will be all she wrote for JD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.