Aaron Rodgers Main Thread #3

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s all just rumors now…but totally agree that a 2nd this year and a guaranteed 1st next year is a dealbreaker for me.

That’s just no way…I’d rather get Teddy fucking Bridgewater for this year and either draft a QB or push it to next year, but giving up those kinds of picks for what easily could be a 1 or maybe 2 year deal is NOT a good trade for us.

That pick next year HAS to be conditional…I’d be fine with giving up a 2024 first rounder only if we make the Super Bowl…other than that, maybe a third if we make the playoffs, and nothing if we don’t. AND we need a 2025 pick back from GB if he doesn’t play for us in 2024

Outside of something like that I’d say no to the trade and suck it up and start anew…I probably would’ve tried to sign someone like Andy Dalton to at least have someone who can play in case this shit goes down in flames, but all water under the bridge.

but JD’s confidence hints that maybe the deal is pretty much done…may involve a pick swap depending on who is there at 13…that would make sense to me as far as what we’re seeing…

ColoradoContrails and JetBlue like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Call me shelfish but I just want AR on the Team asap. You could be 100 per cent right don’t give up that pick because “things go south and get ugly”

But guess what ??? things have gone south for the past 11 years and have been ugly for 55 years:/

I am losing patience ..get the deal done dammit

Douglas the number 21 ranked GM is going up against Green Bay GM who is one of the best(#5)

He and Woody shouldn’t be such wise asses,, they have the Draft in 2 weeks and we are still flying blind ..feh

3. NYJetsO12

The last thing you want to do is say no to everything..are you kidding ? Getting Dalton or Bridgewater isn’t much better than Mike White
    Lmao

Now is NOT the time for those dopes Johnson and Douglas to be cheap

Future picks ?? First rounders bust all the time my friend..Becton Zach W Sam Darnold

Once in a lifetime chance to get a HOF known commodity ..get it done

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I want AR bad myself, but Honest question to this fan base.. At this stage, is a 2nd and a first for AR for two years max still a a better solution for the Jets in the long haul than offering he Ravens the 2 first for LJ and sucking up his guaranteed contract?
    I really can see both sides to this argument

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Elijah Moore trade to pick up an additional 2nd would line up with the SI reporter's take that Green Bay wants a 2nd this year and a 1st next year.

that's too damn much IMO. move on already

burf and Cosmo like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The question is "what is known?" We know Rodgers will be a Hall of Famer. We know he has been wishy washy about playing. We know he'll turn forty during the season. We know his yards and TDs were down. We know his interceptions were up. What we don't know is what he'll do this year. Or next. Or if he'll even play for the Jets. Nothing is a lifetime chance if that ship has already sailed.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Either it happens before draft or after June 1st

8. NYJetsO12

My goodness ..Lamar Jackson can’t stay healthy

And the Ravens still cater to him with the OBJ deal..I foresee lots of issues in that camp as season grinds on

Big time pass on him

All in on the Cave Warrior

9. NYJetsO12

I don’t care ..he is now reunited with his friends Hackett and Lawson

Let’s roll the dice and a an All Pro year outa him

You fail at one job (Green Bay last year) and this is a better fit . Happens all the time in business btw

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not too many guys having bounce back seasons at age 40

11. NYJetsO12

Ok ..move on to what ? Boyer ? Zach ?

Dalton Bridgewater Gardner Minshew ?

from a penthouse signing to the trailer park ?

I get your point Browning and maybe they fine tune this deal, but it still won’t come cheap.

Unfortunately, AR the walking enigma saying Hes "90 per cent retired" has given Woody and JDs diarrhea.

it is what it is ...life gets messy.

#151 NYJetsO12, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would we ever give up two good draft picks for a 39 year old guy who changes plans like a teenage girl changes outfits?

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He is not reunited with anyone.

You claim he's a "known commodity," I see too many unknowns. "Roll the dice" is the most accurate thing you've said.

14. Greg999

Greg999 New Member

If the trade goes down after the draft, GB has stated that their asking price will increase. If the Jets hold firm, they can get him for a conditional 2024 4th (a la Favre), but won't get him until end of Aug or first week of Sept. It's somewhat of a risk for the Jets, as some other QB could get injured and Rodgers may get off to a slow start.

15. Greg999

Greg999 New Member

Also, I don't believe any talk of Rodgers being a disruption at GB training camp. After retirement, he wants to be the second coming of Bart Starr. Beloved for decades in GB after retirement. He isn't gong to create ill will with the fans because he hates the FO.

16. Br4d

My guess is that just showing up at training camp will be highly disruptive to the Packers at this point. Jordan Love is not going to get a real chance as long as Aaron Rodgers is still around in the same way that Rodgers wasn't going to get a real chance until Brett Favre left town.

If this drags out until training camp with no indication that Rodgers is retiring the Packers will have to make a move or alternately put off the transition to Love for at least one more season. The reason the Favre deal was structured the way it was is that the Packers were desperate to move on without having Favre wind up in their backyard. Same deal with Rodgers now.

Now it is possible that the Packers will let Rodgers go to somebody else cheaply to spite the Jets for holding out for a fair deal. However that removes one of the pieces of protection that a Jets deal offers: the reality that Rodgers is unlikely to show them up while playing for the Jets. If they trade him to San Francisco they run a real danger that he helps the 49ers to the playoffs and maybe beats Green Bay if they get there also. They do have an open hand once they've decided just to trade him without consultation but there are much worse places for him to wind up once the Jets leave the picture.

17. Greg999

Greg999 New Member

As much as they will not admit it, GB will go through a transition over the next few years. If Love is any good, their SB window would start in 2025. It's preferable for them to trade Rodgers to the Jets, but trading to SF doesn't really derail anything for them. The rumor is that SF will offer 2 or 3 thirds in 2023 and an unprotected 1st in 2024. Again, they would prefer him to go to the jets, so I don't think any negotiation is really going on yet. That would likely change after the draft.

I actually think it's a mistake for the Jets to trade for Rodgers. They will not win a SB with him. Good enough to make the playoffs, but will not help the team long term.

Ralebird and Br4d like this.
  18. Br4d

It's easy to see the Jets having a down season even with Aaron Rodgers in the fold. A lot of key players will be coming off of injuries and the NFL season will add a few key injuries next year because that's what it does to everybody.

It's not like the Jets have the formula in place to easily integrate Rodgers and weather the likely injuries next season.

If we put up a poll right now on how many games the Jets would win with Rodgers next year I'd definitely take the safest option in that poll, which would be 8 or 9 wins. That would mirror the Favre season.

Greg999 likes this.
  19. Greg999

Greg999 New Member

What are people's thoughts about trading for Trey Lance? Wouldn't make the Jets SB contenders, but could be exciting long term if he develops.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We already have a bad QB that can’t stay healthy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.