Sam Darnold to 49ers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SOJAZ, Mar 13, 2023.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This is such a weak defensive post.
    We could have gotten those 3 firsts. But we got Zach instead. And now will drop more picks on Rodgers.
    Unbunch the panties and open the eyes.
    We all like the Jets. My post is where we are at in terms of QB unfortunately.

#21 BacktoQueens, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  2. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Sam is a nice guy. Hope he does well.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

No, your post was stating another team spending 3 1st on an unproven QB is a good gamble (specifically they didn’t overpay)… but when the Jets spend their 1st rd pick on an unproven QB it’s a bad move (specifically you cunting (a step beyond bitching) about how we could’ve traded back)

Everyone else can see it, why can’t you?

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Sam seems to be a victim of terrible OC’s. Maybe Zach is a victim of being super raw as a prospect and being thrown to the wolves. Right situations, these guys MAY work out. Or maybe they are who they are.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Back to the West Coast will suit him fine.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Career backup, nothing more.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I doubt he'll become an All Pro with them, but going "home" to Cali will probably help, and being coached by a competent CS will definitely help. He may be another Geno in the making, but again, I doubt he'll become an All Pro. Whatever success he has he deserves it. He tried hard and kept his mouth shut and was served badly by the Jets and his subsequent teams.

SOJAZ and BacktoQueens like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

By overpaying I mean all three of SFs QBs make less than Zach Wilson.
    They have depth, competition, and upside in the QB room, and for cheap.

Trading back obviously would’ve been a great move, and that’s not hindsight.
    It was discussed at length at the time. So not sure why it’s triggering you.
    Instead we ended up with the worst option.

imagine being so sensitive to any Jets criticism, that you cannot see our own mistakes, or how another team has managed to do a much better job at the position.
    Can’t learn with blinders on.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The amount of draft compensation the Niners paid to move up for Lance is mind boggling. If Douglas did that this board would implode.

ouchy and DetroitRed like this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Ok. Last time bc I’m not a fan of talking to walls.

Your hypocrisy of calling the 49ers using 3 picks for a QB who they rated lower than the QB we spent 1 pick on…. Is what’s annoying. Be stupid all day, I don’t care, hate the jets with all your heart as you do, I don’t care…. Spit out some misinformation or be obtusely hypocritical… i got an issue.

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Interesting…that QB is now Trey Lance, Brock Purdy, and Darnold…with Purdy maybe not ready by the time the season starts, there’s a chance that Darnold is at QB opening day for them…I get they will do their best to get Lance out there after spending a fortune to go draft him, but he’s been unable to stay healthy and while I didn’t particularly watch him play, I don’t get the impression that he lit it up either…Darnold may end up being the best QB on that roster…funny

But that’s the best spot he’s been in and way better than his situation with us and with Carolina, so it’ll be interesting to see how he does there…

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

We're gonna have a Sam Darnold & the 49ers vs. Mike White & the Dolphins Super Bowl and that is going to be the final straw that gives me an aneurysm.

13. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Maybe, but thats what they said about Geno

papapump and SOJAZ like this.
  14. BacktoQueens

Not all first rounds picks are created equal. The #2 overall we wasted on Wilson was worth even more than what SF traded up to get to #3 overall.
    So if you think SF fucked that up, you must really think the Jets blew it badly.
    We could've made that trade if it was so ridiculous, but we took Wilson instead.
    Or is that just 'hating the Jets?
    seems hypocritical on your end.

Lance is least still their starter, and still an unproven commodity with lots of upside.
    And now they have depth with Darnold and Purdy, and didn't have to overpay Jimmy G.
    Wilson we know is sunk cost, as we looking to trade more picks for Rodgers.
    We also need a viable backup on the roster.

#34 BacktoQueens, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    ouchy likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

Lance was red shirted his rookie year, and got hurt immediately in 2022.
    So he hasn't played more than a game in his career. He's an unknown yet, but the 2 years watching will probably be a good thing for him being he was raw coming out of college.
    He has a monster ceiling if he can put it all together, and SF is a good place for that.

16. remedy29

remedy29 New Member

All 3 of SF QBs make less than Zach Wilson...
    The difference in salary, over 4 years, is 1.045M. The vet min for a 3 year vet is 1.08M. the difference between players is literally less than 1 seasons worth of a FA on min salary.

I'm not sure what the 2 additional 1st round picks value is that SF paid to acquire Lance, but I feel pretty confident that it is substantially more than 1 season of a vet on min salary.

Perhaps you feel differently, but you are the only one. That opinion doesnt make for a good fan base forum read. SF paid a substantial amount for Lance. If he turns out to be a bust, he may be the biggest bust of all time, in terms of overpaying for a player.

All teams have assets, they come in terms of Cap dollars and draft picks. You cant ignore the draft picks when discussing if SF overpaid for Lance.

And yes, I wish the Jets had traded the pick for draft capital, but in hindsight, the Jets would have been better off drafting a punter there, so every alternative would have been better.

ouchy and BacktoQueens like this.
  17. BacktoQueens

Good post, and some good points.
    I'm not exactly sure where we disagree though.

SF has 3 QB's all earning under 10M per year. I referenced Zach to put it in context that these are inexpensive QB deals.
    They gave themselves viable options and didn't need to overpay Jimmy G as a result.

I meant $ when I said SF didn't have to overpay, but it's a fair point about draft capital.
    If we basing our comparison with the Jets, the #2 overall selection has a value very comparable to what SF paid to get Lance.
    We know for sure Wilson busted. We don't know yet about Lance, as he's entering the season still an unproven starter.
    If he busts like Wilson, it will look similarly bad for the 49ers, but they did at least give themselves some backup options.
    If he hits anywhere near his ceiling, it will look good.
    That's tbd.

I think a lot of the push back here is sensitivity to anything resembling criticism to the Jets.
    Even though anyone outside of this forum knows the Jets have mangled their recent approach to the QB position.
    It's not all hindsight.

18. remedy29

remedy29 New Member

I read your earlier post, I agree, the Jets should have kept Sam Darnold and done anything else with the 2021 #2 overall pick. Not because Darnold is good, but the Jets were in rebuild mode and it was worth it to keep a young developing QB on his 4th and 5th year rookie contract.

But SF overpaid for Lance. The Jets overpaid for Wilson.

You also say you like SF QBs. Well SF has been a Super Bowl caliber team for a number of years now and their QB (QBs) has failed to deliver.
    SF is SB favorites, despite whomever starts for them.
    The Jets, with Rodgers, SB odds are a direct result of the QB.

If The Jets make good offseason moves, I'd put my money on the Jets over SF to win the SB...always bet the better QB.

bicketybam likes this.