Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not saying they didn't try to add talent, but Zach's first year they were thin, especially on the OL, but the bigger issue was the lack of development by the CS and trying to force fit Zach into an offense that he wasn't familiar with and expecting him to master it right off the bat.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I've felt like our line has been decent over the last 2 seasons. We've also been decimated with injuries, especially at OT so I can't quibble too much about the state of our OL recently. I think our OL performs at a much higher level if Becton, AVT, & Fant/Brown stay healthy.

The other part, I can agree with that. The passing of Knapp threw a gigantic wrench in their plans IMO and while they tried to remedy that by adding a bunch of people to that room, I think that ultimately did more harm than good.

I guess the only point of my OP about this is that this FO does seem to understand that you don't just draft a rookie QB, surround him with scrubs, and expect him to elevate them as a first or 2nd year player. They're investing premium draft picks and FA dollars into providing a solid infrastructure around the QB. Hopefully Zach can figure it out still but if he doesn't the team will be in a better place for the next young QB they acquire.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Interesting tidbit from Peter King on Rich Eisen's show.

He seems to think ARod is the Jets number 1 target but if that doesn't come to fruition that the Jets COULD seriously consider going after Lamar.

This honestly just seems like speculation on his part but I would say it's "informed speculation".

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

People that are against trading for Rodgers don't want to give up a first round draft pick (amongst other things.) The team needs the pick to fix the other roster issues. It's understandable.

Signing Jackson is going to cost 2 first round picks. Book that. So how do you go about addressing the rest of the roster when you've lost 2 first round picks AND you are going to have to pay him a fortune?

The Jets best option is Carr because there's no loss of assets. He's not as good as Rodgers but Rodgers has a year or two tops left in him.

As far as Jackson goes, I think his play has been slipping and he's injury prone. I want no part of giving up 2 first round picks for him.

Just throw the open check book at Carr and pray he's all about the money.

#344 bicketybam, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  5. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Rodgers and Jackson are too expensive and come with too much risk. Need to hit on those draft picks to finish rebuilding the roster.

Carr or tannehill are both improvements on any of the 3 they had this year. Jimmy G is too but he's a chandelier.

6. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I agree with what you’re saying here but in defense of my position (not willing to give up a 1st (unless it’s in the future)), I would give up 2 1sts for Jackson because at least we have some assurances he’ll be around longer than a year or two at most. Jackson is still young enough that he has some years as a useful player ahead of him. Rodgers is far more likely to be closer to the end

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Two firsts for Jackson is a better deal than one first for Rodgers. Rodgers is a one or two-year rental, Jackson will last a few years even if he has a Newton-like dropoff in his early thirties. And there's a chance he won't and will be good for several years. The other benefit is that if the Jets have to fire everyone, he'll make the coaching and GM jobs more attractive.

ouchy and JetFanInNE like this.
  8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I would take Tannehill before Lamar and Carr before Tannehill.

I want no part of Aaron Rodgers.

Lets keep this young team together and continue to add pieces through draft picks

ouchy likes this.
  9. JetFanInNE

The problem with your last sentence is we have a coaching staff that won’t be here after next year without a playoff appearance. At some point they need veteran leadership. You can’t get that in the draft.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I like Rodgers as a plug and play ready option, but it’s short term and I’m not looking forward to an annual Will He Won’t He retire drama. I would not want to give up a boatload of draft capital for him, but honestly I just don’t think the Packers would be able to command that much for an aging QB who’s pondering retirement every year. It would have to be conditional picks based on results and years played I think. Otherwise I’m not giving up the 13th pick or more for him…too risky. He’s my number one option but only if the price is right.

I’m not a huge fan of a Lamar deal mostly because he WILL command huge draft assets, cost a TON of money, injuries have been piling up, and just plainly because I doubt our coaching staff would be able to customize the offense for him like Baltimore did. And let’s face it…the Ravens are just a very well run organization AND they have direct access and history with him, the fact that they aren’t willing to pay him what he wants is a very telling sign.

Those are probably the top guys talent-wise I guess, but both expensive and risky.

after that you get to Carr and Garrapolo who are free agents so no draft pick compensation required. Both good solid QBs who would be better than anything we’ve had since I don’t even know when. Clear upgrades for us, but not top flight guys….not sure what Tannehill’s contract status is…as far as I know he’s still a Titan so unless they release him, which I’ve not heard anything about, he’d need to be traded for. I kind of put these three guys in the same bucket…good solid average to maybe above average QBs who, while not top tier guys who would help us challenge Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen, would still be clear upgrades for us and at least make us likely playoff contenders but not seriously Super Bowl contenders…but at least give us a chance.

after that you get the career backup type guys who have started and could start but really aren’t great options for a serious deep playoff run…guys like Minshew, Brissett, Dalton, White, Mayfield, etc. maybe just as important, none of these guys would excite the fanbase so there is that angle to consider as well….these are kind of “Meh” type guys…again clear upgrades to the shitshow we’ve had but no one is doing cartwheels for any of these dudes.

so not a lot of great options out there, which is not surprising…

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. JetFanInNE

The thing is though, based on their comments, the team is determined to try and turn Zach into a franchise quarterback so a plug and play quarterback is exactly what they would need. Zach sits and watches for the next season or two how a successful veteran quarterback conducts himself, by the time the qb is ready to retire Zach finally has some frame of reference of what doesn’t work and how to make it work.

By the way I’m not saying I agree with the mindset, I can just see where the mindset is. At this point what else is there to lose?

12. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

god i hope not, imo he is to fragile

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

No to Larmar. Rogers or Carr (and I would like car more because he is a FA now) and then Mr. G... after that, get the best lower tiered QB like Brissett and hope ZW gets it...

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…I like Lamar as a dual threat but I would not be in favor of giving up multiple first round picks (if he’s franchisee the cost would be two first rounders) PLUS giving him huge guaranteed money (which is apparently the holdup with Baltimore) PLUS taking a higher than average injury risk PLUS trusting our coaches to tailor an offense around his unique skill sets.

too much risk for me…yes he’d be electric and would excite the fanbase for a year or two but he’s been hurt two years running now…

stinkyB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This just feels like a Leveon Bell type move if it happens.

Just because a guy was good somewhere else does not mean he will be good for us. But you know if Woody really wants to throw a lot of money on the grill and burn it that's one of his prerogatives as owner of the NY Jets.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, there is no way in hell I would want LJ, not worth the 2 first draft picks plus his ridiculous demands associated with his salary and guarantee's. No to a contract similar to the stupid ass mess in Cleveland or Arizona or Denver. That IMO is absolutely the worst possible choice for us and doubt it seriously he is even a consideration for JD. Is not like he is the most durable of QBs and his contract with absolutely hamstring the future of this young team and leave us out in the cold financially with no options if he was to get hurt. Strong pass. So those that consider AR terms risky, well this one would take it to a much higher level.
    Who do I prefer? AR depending on terms or next tier. Who do I think we will get.....Tannehill or JG, and would be happy with either except my concern about JG injury history. At the end of the day, we can reach the playoff with either, but with Rogers, the playoff challenge gets a lot easier. We can mock his demeanor and idiosyncrasies all day long, but when he is on the field his is still tops. His worst year last year, putrid defense and all, is far and away better we have ever seen. And that is not even close.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Jets have been hoping for Wilson to get it for almost three years now without a whiff that it's happening; they can't afford to drop to the level of Brissett or Minshew.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If they were to bring one of those type guys in, I would hope/expect it to be for an open comp or dependable backup position because I dont see them being an improvement over Mike F'n White.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Lamar Jackson is going to negotiate his way into sitting out a season and this is going to end up ugly. The Cardinals are up shits creek right now and the Browns likely will be too because of the guaranteed money they dolled out for one running QB and another that sat out for almost two calendar years.

It’s one thing to pay a QB a lot of money and find clever ways to stash it in the cap with bonuses and not guaranteeing everything. It’s another to give a QB a MLB contract and hope and pray.

Jets79 and ouchy like this.